Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2016, 03:58   #151

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Most efficient way to boil water on a boat

Hey Sandero,
The question may sound absurd, but the financial costs of fuel are only a small part of "efficiency " for some offshore and long distance cruisers. In some places fuel is harder to come by. Figuring out how best to manage ones resources in remote areas is a good move. Of course, one needs not get too wadded up about it but it's a balancing act of available resources. Even if fuel is available at a low cost, acquiring the fuel might be difficult involving long travel times and additional costs for transportation. One might find that using solar electricity is the most efficient, or maybe not depending on other needs.
It's great that the question is low on your list of priorities but your opinion on the matter only goes as far as your own needs. Others find they have to be more careful with what they have. Do you have any suggestions that might be helpful? Since you have the question resolved, maybe you have ideas that will help others?
Old 24-11-2016, 04:23   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Hey Sandero,
The question may sound absurd, but the financial costs of fuel are only a small part of "efficiency " for some offshore and long distance cruisers. In some places fuel is harder to come by. Figuring out how best to manage ones resources in remote areas is a good move. Of course, one needs not get too wadded up about it but it's a balancing act of available resources. Even if fuel is available at a low cost, acquiring the fuel might be difficult involving long travel times and additional costs for transportation. One might find that using solar electricity is the most efficient, or maybe not depending on other needs.
It's great that the question is low on your list of priorities but your opinion on the matter only goes as far as your own needs. Others find they have to be more careful with what they have. Do you have any suggestions that might be helpful? Since you have the question resolved, maybe you have ideas that will help others?
Here's the deal... this issue is of concern to a minuscule segment of the readers on this forum. I find it odd that someone who manages to have internet access to discuss such a issue is concerned about the insignificant cost to boil water for a cup of coffee of a bowl of pasta.

YES it doesn't concern me and I think it doesn't concern 99.5% of the members. And it's even hard to conceptualize the niche of boats that this would be of real concern. Take someone like our friend Dockhead who has an expensive Oyster or a huge cat and is concerned about a few pennies a year? I seriously doubt it and I don't know what his position is on this matter. Maybe the sailor with a 25' footer scraping buy and doing an around the world and is in some remote island in the South Pacific... I find it odd to think THAT sailor is looking for ways to make a cup of tea.

I just don't get it.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 04:43   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
10 pages and 143 posts on how to boil water on a boat. Unbelievable.
same thing I was thinking
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 04:47   #154

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Maybe the sailor with a 25' footer scraping buy and doing an around the world and is in some remote island in the South Pacific... I find it odd to think THAT sailor is looking for ways to make a cup of tea.

I just don't get it.
Huh? Unless you are on a boat bigger than 25 feet you don't drink tea? Now that IS absurd!
I don't think you really meant that....

You see, you keep coming back to the financial costs. But money isn't everything! If you are in a desert with no water, you will pay money for water. But, because there is no water your money is worthless! The thread might make more sense if you stop thinking it's only about money.

Honestly, the first time I read this thread I thought it was absurd too. But once I realized that it's about "resources", not money, I was on board for the thread!
Old 24-11-2016, 05:00   #155

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
...but the financial costs of fuel are only a small part of "efficiency " for some offshore and long distance cruisers. In some places fuel is harder to come by. Figuring out how best to manage ones resources in remote areas is a good move...
To my mind this is the only scenario in which it really matters what the most efficient method is.

As I was typing my reply above I had in the back of my mind my experience in the Canaries, on Tenerife. We were on the south side of the island at San Miguel and had to shlep tanks to the DISA all the way up to near Santa Cruz as I recall. Then there is the compatibility issue, with them filling only butane tanks with certain fittings (which we thankfully had). That and worse can be the expected experience in a lot of places. If you're visiting country after country, you can end up with a lazarette full of different tanks and adapters.

But even then I would not not go the electric kettle route unless I had storage to spare. Just not worth the hassle to me.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 05:01   #156

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Honestly, the first time I read this thread I thought it was absurd too. But once I realized that it's about "resources", not money, I was on board for the thread!
Sea Dreaming, Your Brilliant. I Like the way you think
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 05:20   #157

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Here's the deal... this issue is of concern to a minuscule segment of the readers on this forum. I find it odd that someone who manages to have internet access to discuss such a issue is concerned about the insignificant cost to boil water for a cup of coffee of a bowl of pasta.

YES it doesn't concern me and I think it doesn't concern 99.5% of the members. And it's even hard to conceptualize the niche of boats that this would be of real concern. Take someone like our friend Dockhead who has an expensive Oyster or a huge cat and is concerned about a few pennies a year? I seriously doubt it and I don't know what his position is on this matter. Maybe the sailor with a 25' footer scraping buy and doing an around the world and is in some remote island in the South Pacific... I find it odd to think THAT sailor is looking for ways to make a cup of tea.

I just don't get it.
As Sea Dreaming said in the post BEFORE this one, it's not about cost.

It's about efficiency based on scarce resources -- battery power, propane stores, in potentially remote places. The other point of this thread is that efficiency as an engineering concept is simply interesting for its own sake.

If you "don't get it", then I suggest that you politely listen and read and think about it.

If it's still not interesting, then go elsewhere, and find something which is.

Walking into a room full of people having a discussion and loudly telling them that what they are discussing is stupid, is incredibly rude. Would you do it in real life? Of course you wouldn't. So don't do it online, either.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 05:24   #158

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Efficient how? Cost Efficiency? Power efficiency? Time efficiency? The best combination of all three?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 05:33   #159
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Heres how a forum works.

People talk about what ever they want. If others want to join in the discussion they do. Its not a consensus thing with the approval required of the majority.

Some individuals contribute to the thread by complaining about it or belittling the contributors.

I find that puzzling.

If you dont like the topic, better to move along rather than critique the content. Better to not look at the topic than feel compelled to write negativity or slam the thread and posters as the mood takes you. If you really have no interest in a thread.....why would you want to contribute? Let others breathe and do their own thing.

Better to be nice and allow people to discuss what and how they want rather than think the opinion we hold is the only correct one. There is a forum ignore button in your dashboard if self control is not your strong point.

There is no one forcing a contribution from you...

jes sayin'
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 05:33   #160

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Efficient how? Cost Efficiency? Power efficiency? Time efficiency? The best combination of all three?
If you read the thread, you'll see.

You have x amount of battery power, and y amount of propane.

Can I boil water with electricity without running my batteries down? Someone said you're trashing your batteries this way -- let's drill into that.

Doesn't it deplete my propane supplies? Well, maybe, because a lot of heat bypasses the kettle, when you boil water on the stove.

And a million other questions like that.

If it's not interesting for you or anyone else -- fine, of course, everyone chooses what's interesting or not. There are about 5000 other threads on here to choose from.

It's a VERY interesting question for me, because my boat runs on tea, with gangs of British and Russian people on board frequently, and at this cold latitude. Boiling a liter or two of water once every hour, day and night, 24/7 on passage, gets to be something of a challenge even on a big boat like mine. Many others have similar situations.
Old 24-11-2016, 05:34   #161

Boat: Sandibar 35

Ha, I find this thread relevant, and as Dockhead pointed out not because of any cost issue. We have a national standard for propane tanks here and filling Finnish tanks up even in the Baltics is a problem (not possible?). I have a 11kg bottle on board, which lasted 2 months with some left last summer, with 95% of nights spent in a marina. Spacewise on our 35ft, I can maybe squeeze in another 5kg bottle somewhere on deck, but not more, giving me three months but probably a lot less if we would be anchoring out say 50% of the time.
We drink coffee or tea all the time and just realized late last summer that an electric kettle will save us a lot of propane - got one in Denmark finally. Running out of propane with the family somewhere outside of Finland would be a big no-no .
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 05:40   #162

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandibar View Post
Ha, I find this thread relevant, and as Dockhead pointed out not because of any cost issue. We have a national standard for propane tanks here and filling Finnish tanks up even in the Baltics is a problem (not possible?). I have a 11kg bottle on board, which lasted 2 months with some left last summer, with 95% of nights spent in a marina. Spacewise on our 35ft, I can maybe squeeze in another 5kg bottle somewhere on deck, but not more, giving me three months but probably a lot less if we would be anchoring out say 50% of the time.
We drink coffee or tea all the time and just realized late last summer that an electric kettle will save us a lot of propane - got one in Denmark finally. Running out of propane with the family somewhere outside of Finland would be a big no-no .
A hint for you -- you can exchange your style of bottles in Estonia, and it's about 2x cheaper than in Finland. The 6.5kg bottles (IIRC) are common to the Estonian ones.

And in Sweden, for God knows what reason, it is common practice to fill random propane bottles by cold-pouring. Most propane companies will fill more or less any propane bottle. I did it in Visby this past summer.

But your point is well taken -- propane is a royal PITA in the Baltic Sea, with virtually every country having its own standard. Atlantic Europe is no better, either. We always struggle with this, and like in your case, using electricity for cooking and boiling water where possible helps stretch the tenuous supplies.
Old 24-11-2016, 05:45   #163
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
A hint for you -- you can exchange your style of bottles in Estonia, and it's about 2x cheaper than in Finland. The 6.5kg bottles (IIRC) are common to the Estonian ones.

And in Sweden, for God knows what reason, it is common practice to fill random propane bottles by cold-pouring. Most propane companies will fill more or less any propane bottle. I did it in Visby this past summer.

But your point is well taken -- propane is a royal PITA in the Baltic Sea, with virtually every country having its own standard. Atlantic Europe is no better, either. We always struggle with this, and like in your case, using electricity for cooking and boiling water where possible helps stretch the tenuous supplies.
I used the Honda 2K generator for boiling water via electric and for heating water for showers and washing. Seemed to last forever.. I never noticed it costing more money or less money as I sometimes would fire it up for random tasks....like heating in the cabin via a blow heater to take the chill off and stuff like that...

Was not tea, it was coffee.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 05:55   #164

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Thanks for the hint! After my last post I actually did some research already and will be better prepared next summer with adapters etc.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 06:26   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
To my mind this is the only scenario in which it really matters what the most efficient method is.

As I was typing my reply above I had in the back of my mind my experience in the Canaries, on Tenerife. We were on the south side of the island at San Miguel and had to shlep tanks to the DISA all the way up to near Santa Cruz as I recall. Then there is the compatibility issue, with them filling only butane tanks with certain fittings (which we thankfully had). That and worse can be the expected experience in a lot of places. If you're visiting country after country, you can end up with a lazarette full of different tanks and adapters.

But even then I would not not go the electric kettle route unless I had storage to spare. Just not worth the hassle to me.
Buy a local tank and fitting... problem solved...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, water