Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 16:43   #1

Boat: 88 36' Hunter
Medications

We will (fingers crossed) be leaving for Bimini and then most likely, the BVI's. This means I will need more than my standard 30 day script for 2 daily medications. Has anyone had an issue with their doctor giving them more than a 30 day supply of a medication when you know you will not be back for longer?
flblowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 17:32   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Medications

It is usually easy to get a doc to write the scripts. I've been given year long ones after explaining my lifestyle. If you are asking someone else to pay for them, like medical insurance, then the answer is usually no.
Old 27-06-2017, 18:38   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

It depends a great deal on the medications.

Some medications require monitoring the patient to make sure no complications are occurring as a result of using the medication.

I write some prescriptions for my patients for a year for chronic conditions, but I know that those meds will not cause any problems over the long term.

The medical legal situation in the USA is such that doctors don't want to expose themselves to liability by writing prescriptions that run for long periods time without checking the patient for adverse reactions. In a court of law, a lawyer would take a doctor to the cleaners if there was an adverse reaction. It would be indefensible.

I get around this when cruising by getting my medications outside the USA. It was never a problem for us, and it was much less expensive.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 19:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
It depends a great deal on the medications.

Some medications require monitoring the patient to make sure no complications are occurring as a result of using the medication.

I write some prescriptions for my patients for a year for chronic conditions, but I know that those meds will not cause any problems over the long term.

The medical legal situation in the USA is such that doctors don't want to expose themselves to liability by writing prescriptions that run for long periods time without checking the patient for adverse reactions. In a court of law, a lawyer would take a doctor to the cleaners if there was an adverse reaction. It would be indefensible.

I get around this when cruising by getting my medications outside the USA. It was never a problem for us, and it was much less expensive.

These are medications that I've been on for years. I have medical records if proof is needed. How do you get scripts filled outside the US?
Old 27-06-2017, 20:35   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flblowfish View Post
These are medications that I've been on for years. I have medical records if proof is needed. How do you get scripts filled outside the US?
Lots of people in other countries outside of the US have health issues too. So they go & see physicians, who issue suggestions & prescriptions for them.

If you're planning to travel, then it makes sense to get a letter from your MD stating what conditions you have, & what med's you're taking for same. With the letter written, signed, & notarized, in several languages. And the names of the meds both as trade names (proprietrary ones), & generic Rx names.

You'd also be wise to have something similar written up regarding any allergies you have, or other health issues. And keep all of the above together with your vaccination records, & passport.

This topic comes up monthly (or more) here on CF, & there are a LOT more tips in those threads, so do a search.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 20:38   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Most of the places I have cruised that are remote, I just go into a drug store and get the medication without a prescription.

I purchased nearly all my meds at a fraction of the cost when I worked in Saudi Arabia in a pharmacy without a prescription. Obviously no narcotics or controlled substances.

I am not sure where I will get my meds this time around. In most countries I have visited in the third world, the pharmacies have been very helpful without prescriptions.

I don't know what the experience of other people has been, but it has never been a problem for us.

Most of my medical kit/drugs were never used in our circumnavigation. We threw most of it away because it expired. We found the cruising lifestyle to be very healthy, and we didn't need many medications.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 22:00   #7

You haven't mention where you'll be travelling. Each country is different. Generally it is pretty easy to get prescription drugs, often directly by asking a pharmacist. We show them our previous prescription, often out dated, explain what we need and they typically do what they can to help. Even controlled drugs can be easy to get if you have a valid reason (in some countries).
One issue you may run into is that other countries may not stock the drug you want, so know what the generic name is and what a good alternative is if the widely advertised and expensive drug in the US is not marketed in the country you will be in.
Old 28-06-2017, 03:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You haven't mention where you'll be travelling. Each country is different. Generally it is pretty easy to get prescription drugs, often directly by asking a pharmacist. We show them our previous prescription, often out dated, explain what we need and they typically do what they can to help. Even controlled drugs can be easy to get if you have a valid reason (in some countries).
One issue you may run into is that other countries may not stock the drug you want, so know what the generic name is and what a good alternative is if the widely advertised and expensive drug in the US is not marketed in the country you will be in.

Actually I did say where we will be traveling; Bimini then down through the islands to Turks n Caicos... BVI's then probably farther south... although that's going to depend on funds. :/ I think I should be ok unless we get really crazy and decide to venture farther west. I'm just very concerned because stopping these meds cold turkey could cause some pretty serious effects.
Old 28-06-2017, 14:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flblowfish View Post
Actually I did say where we will be traveling; Bimini then down through the islands to Turks n Caicos... BVI's then probably farther south... although that's going to depend on funds. :/ I think I should be ok unless we get really crazy and decide to venture farther west. I'm just very concerned because stopping these meds cold turkey could cause some pretty serious effects.
There are a lot of countries in the areas you mention. You will find significant differences in countries that were colonized by the Spanish, British, Dutch and French. All different systems. Also the quality and availability of health care is all over the map depending on which country you are in. Some are truly third world others are US style with much lower costs. Either way, you are close to a flight back to the US, or to US shipping (USVI or PR) that if you were running out and hit a brick wall, you could jump on a plane.