Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2013, 10:35   #61

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Re: Mayo

Just read this comment, "Refined or not, grains have never been
meant for human consumption". Our entire civilization is based on grains. That includes beer. 15,000 years ago we became farmers and grew grains. That is modern humankind's food source. They weren't growing chickens in all those fields.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 10:44   #62

Boat: Able 50

I wondered about that one too. Was there ever a primitive society with no form of bread ? Maybe the Inuit.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 11:17   #63

Perhaps the Paleo Primal is what we did before we found farming. We would go out and forage and hunt. Picture a band of humans, walking along. The men and boys are out front with spears, rocks and slings. Their job is to spot that one thing with the brown hair and white tail. Sometimes they find one and kill it. Most time they don't. Behind them are the woman and girls. They forage, woman see far more shades of green then men. The inuit have something like 50 words to decribe snow. The woman pick the plants as they go along. At the end of the walk they prepair and eat the green folage and seeds,nut's,berries, etc. Once a week, maybe, they get an animal. It is devided up between them all. Then they go walking again. The human mouth, the teeth are designed to mill grains and greens. All those molars, grinding. Only four carnivorous teeth. People got sick of getting the food they liked only occasionally, when they came upon it. So some smart ass came up with the idea, "why don't we cut down all these tree's and plants what we want,,,wheat,,,bread. So I agree, the Paleo Primal diet is the source of human nutrition. We needed fast sweets, fruit and protein so we could haul ass when the tiger shows up. In the village we needed slow sugars to keep us steadily working in the field. The main problem today is the corruption of 'food' over the past 100 years. The killing off of our Grand Mothers knowledge. Most today read the directions and stick it in a fireless box and believe that it's OK that 50% of all Americans will get cancer. It's normal. it ain't. Sorry for highjacking this mayonnaise thread. What ever you call eating naturally, good, do it.
Old 13-07-2013, 11:39   #64

Boat: Catalina 30

Savoir:

Not only were there no bread or grains in any
primitive society, there are still primitive
societies that consume no grains.

If humans tried to grind grains with their molars
they would destroy their teeth in short order.

China Study has been well debunked here:
The China Study | Raw Food SOS
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 11:44   #65

Talk to a dentist. 'Who' debunked the China Study? Who funded the debunking.?
Old 13-07-2013, 11:58   #66

This lovely person is the 'Blogger' who debunked the scientifically researched and peer reviewed study written by a scientist who has worked in the field and been given a national health institute grant for the past forty years. De bunked indeed. It's embarrassing
what the net offers and information.
Old 13-07-2013, 12:06   #67

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35

Here's an article in which Dr. Loren Cordain debates Dr. T. Colin Campbell on this issue.

The Protein Debate: Dr. Loren Cordain & T. Colin Campbell by Loren Cordain - Nutrition - Catalyst Athletics Articles
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 12:28   #68

5 pages of replies and nobody's mentioned single use packets? really? Keeps forever, nor refrigeration needed, takes less space than a jar, and if you really want you can probably get them for free.

"Whether or not to carry mayo" is one of the easier problems to solve on a boat.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 12:42   #69

As far as grinding grains with molars, it's called, make fire. Look, I'm simply adding to the conversation what is my experience. I no more think that there is one answer to any of this than I think there is only one race of people on this planet. Some can tolerate some things and others cannot. The muscle crowd say more protein and the egg heads say no animal protein. I'm in the middle. A muscle bound egghead, I have at home and on the boat 4 oz serving of protein in individually wrapped. Single serving size. I have one every three or so days. On the other days I eat veggie protein, spinach and other greens, nuts seeds, beans etc. It's the Palio diet, with out excluding the past 15,000 years. Which strikes me as kind of prudent. All the rest, about 80% is veggies and fruit. Eat what you like. we'll see who gets cancer first! That's a joke. Not a good one, but a joke.
Old 13-07-2013, 13:05   #70

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Savoir:

Not only were there no bread or grains in any
primitive society, there are still primitive
societies that consume no grains.

If humans tried to grind grains with their molars
they would destroy their teeth in short order.

China Study has been well debunked here:
The China Study | Raw Food SOS
The only one mentioning grinding raw grain with their teeth is you. That would be pretty dumb after all wouldn't it ? No doubt the people of those times soon figured out that you must grind it or cook it.

The Chinese were eating rice 10,000 years ago and the Egyptians were eating wheat 6,000 years ago. The only argument on that topic is how they all got hold of the stuff - gathering or farming - not whether they ate grain.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 13:22   #71

Of course I didn't mean, nor did I say, we were using your teeth as a primary mill.. Sure they milled it with rocks or what have you. And or cooked it. What I was referring to regarding teeth is the basic configuration of the human mouth. We have 2 incisors as in front teeth for cutting/shearing, we have 4 tearing teeth as in flesh tearing, and we have 20 teeth for mascerating/grinding grain starch type foods. We grind and chew creating saliva, the beginning of digestion starts in the mouth. The inference being that our food intake should be divided up in generally the same pattern and proportion.. And these are the same tooth config way back in Palio times.
Old 13-07-2013, 13:39   #72

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
The Chinese were eating rice 10,000 years ago and the Egyptians were eating wheat 6,000 years ago. The only argument on that topic is how they all got hold of the stuff - gathering or farming - not whether they ate grain.
Indeed, but 10 000 years isn't very long in evolutionary terms.

Homo sapiens have only been around for 200 000yrs, while Neanderthal existed for 500 000yrs for example (give or take).

Perhaps when we realize that this processed grain diet is killing everyone, we may push it out and return to a diet in which we evolved on (a colossal undertaking mind you).

If you compare human evolution timeline to 1 year, we've only been eating grains for like 10 minutes.
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 14:19   #73

And yet again the answer and correct point is stated. It's "processed" grain. Processed food of any sort in by definition poison. How can a Hersey Bar candy still be edible in a hundred years? Because it's inert, dead. We strip away all the food parts, bleach it, fumigate it, all so that it will keep and travel well, all economically driven. We eat it and get sick. I don't think the diet, as in what your eating is as important as what your not eating. The palio diet focus's on eating whole natural, hopefully organic foods,. That's what important.
Old 13-07-2013, 15:53   #74
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"The Chinese were eating rice 10,000 years ago "
Yes, and sailors were dying of scurvy a scant what, 200 years ago?
Vitamin D, ricketts, fetal injuries from malnutrition, these concepts are even newer. (co) Vitamin Q10 was unheard of a decade ago. Oh, and the varieties of wheat that are standard now, all trace back to some common hybridizing around the 1950s. Apparently all the new wheat contains proteins and levels of proteins that the older stock simply never had, so we may have (oops) bred in toxicity.

Nutrition? Right, wasn't it only a month or two ago that another landmark study figured out red meat doesn't cause cholesterol buildup after all...the cholesterol is caused by toxins produced by gut bacteria that just happen to thrive on red meat. Get rid the bacteria, and the red meat doesn't cause that problem any more. The entire concept of microflora/fauna actually controlling much of how our bodies work, was unheard of until so very recently.

Historical diets? That's like saying dogs should be raised on garbage, because so many of them can be found on the streets eating it. Humans survived and prospered because they ate anything that couldn't eat them first. Doesn't mean that's a good diet, just that it was an expedient one.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 16:16   #75

Boat: Catalina 30

Krogensailor said:

...correct point is stated. It's "processed" grain.

And I'm saying no, it is grain of any kind.

And here is Dr Eric Westman debating T. Colin Campbell:

Would you like to disparage Dr. Westman also?

I guess you could also disparage Dr. Donald Miller too:

Can we stick to debating the issue, please?
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote