Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 17:40   #106

Boat: Beneteau 473
[QUOTE="Rakuflames;1282021"]I'm a milkophile. I prefer 4% but drink 2% just because I drink a fair amount of it.[/CQUOTE]

Well that is one thing we have in common. Recently, I told a cruiser friends I had met down here I liked it better than rum and I thought they were going to string me up! Lol.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 07:12   #107

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Re: Mayo

A, they died because they got eaten or due to poor sanitation.
B, people are living longer because of the avarice billing structure of the medical community
C, As far as to labels, The ideal is to eat foods as close to the farm as possible.
D, I differ to you regarding "nonsense".

"Ignorance is contempt prior to investigation", Cherry picking in a discussion is just that. One can sense the temperament and attitudes of some folks on a forum by their tendency to cherry pick.. When cherry picking words and missing concepts is the tendency it belies a certain contempt.

Below is a edited version of the same idea's that you posted, sans contempt.
'It appears our predecessors, typically died much younger then current and perhaps our future generations
Despite eating all the modern foods our problems are people living too long not dying because of such foods.
I'm not saying that a diet of burgers is good for you but a healty diet with. Carbs, fats and proteins all eaten in moderation is the best.' I think that the idea of simply eating foods "without a label", may be too simplistic.'
You get to say what you think without poking the other guy in the eye. Forgive my editing your words, but I had a hard time hearing your point , what with all the ducking.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 07:52   #108

Boat: OPB
So....did cavemen eat mayonnaise? Wait a minute, were cavemen live aboard cruisers? Does that mean we shouldn't live on boats? Maybe it's houses that cause cancer. That's it, I am moving into a cave.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 09:13   #109

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post

Its true, but a century isn't a very long time.

Dr. Fasano, director of the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research has estimated that 6-7% of the population is gluten-sensitve, however most don't even know it.

That's like 20 million americans, enough to make you wonder if we're really mean't to eat it.

Also with the advent of Agriculture, the human skeleton began to decline in size and health, when compared with their hunter-gatherer ancestors.

Dawn of agriculture took toll on health
And after a few thousands of years of agriculture we are are now way beyond our hunter gatherer ancestors in size and health. Humans have evolved and adapted to the new environment.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 09:39   #110

Boat: Catalina 30

K_V_B said:

...after a few thousands of years of agriculture we are are now way beyond our hunter gatherer ancestors in size...

This is not true and easily refuted:

Farming to blame for our shrinking size and brains
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 09:56   #111

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Mayo works beautifully for removing beach tar from your feet. Thankfully not so much of a problem now that some guy managed to figure out how to fingerprint the oil to the ship that discharged it.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 22:46   #112

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
K_V_B said:

...after a few thousands of years of agriculture we are are now way beyond our hunter gatherer ancestors in size...

This is not true and easily refuted:

Farming to blame for our shrinking size and brains
Oh the joys of the internet. For every point of view there is a document out there that supports it, and another one that refutes it...
Old 15-07-2013, 22:49   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
C, As far as to labels, The ideal is to eat foods as close to the farm as possible.
Getting food "as close to the farm as possible" isn't always possible. And isn't always a good idea either. I prefer milk that has gone through some quality control over milk direct from the cow anytime.
(and I was raised on milk direct from the cow).
Old 16-07-2013, 06:08   #114

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Of course there a farm within 50 miles of anyone's home. 100 at most. I can deliver veggie that distance in a hour and a half. And we do everyday. I don't drink milk at all, because it infant food for a cow. Have you ever seen a cow lay on it's side and slide up under another cow to get some lunch? And of course you have gotten some dinner from your wife flowing breast. Some of this might make some sense if it was remotely connected to commonsense. Because the milk counsel has sold you a bill of goods regarding their product, you now require it. Returning to an imagined Paliolithic diet is Atkins being re-marketed, yet again. And even if we knew beyond doubt what those long gone folk were up to we could not duplicate it. The hybrid food today hardy represents the food of their time. Life move's along. Excepting the creationist out there, all life 'evolves', meaning it goes forward. Not backward. And for good reason.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 07:23   #115

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Mayo

I wish I could disagree about milk but no, I think the milk lobby has earned their lucre, along with the wheat, corn, and sugar gangs. I was always a serious milk drinker but now:

Apparently the milking machines irritate the cows' nipples so the cows respond by sending white blood cells (pus) to repair the damage which, unfortunately is constant. So pus is going into the milk, plus the antibiotics from the dairy "farmer". I realize the milk is then pasteurized, blah blah, but knowing about the pus has ruined milk for me. The milk lobby responded to the high fat content of whole milk by removing it to produce low/nofat milk to make us feel better about drinking it.

I haven't had cow's milk in years. Now and then I try something new. The original version of Silk isn't bad. YMMV.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 17:31   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I wish I could disagree about milk but no, I think the milk lobby has earned their lucre, along with the wheat, corn, and sugar gangs. I was always a serious milk drinker but now:

Apparently the milking machines irritate the cows' nipples so the cows respond by sending white blood cells (pus) to repair the damage which, unfortunately is constant. So pus is going into the milk, plus the antibiotics from the dairy "farmer". I realize the milk is then pasteurized, blah blah, but knowing about the pus has ruined milk for me. The milk lobby responded to the high fat content of whole milk by removing it to produce low/nofat milk to make us feel better about drinking it.

I haven't had cow's milk in years. Now and then I try something new. The original version of Silk isn't bad. YMMV.
Say it isn't so! I will never look at a glass of milk the same again, and I loved milk! What's a girl to do? Can't do the silk.

I was soooooo looking forward to a big, cold glass of milk with my Twinkies when I go home in October -- my dreams have been ruined!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 16-07-2013, 18:31   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Say it isn't so! I will never look at a glass of milk the same again, and I loved milk! What's a girl to do? Can't do the silk.

I was soooooo looking forward to a big, cold glass of milk with my Twinkies when I go home in October -- my dreams have been ruined!

I hear you legs kid.

I apologize for sharing that but the burden was too heavy to bear alone. And, like you, it took milk out of the picture for me. Silk out of the jug is OK in the middle of the night, AND ABSOLUTELY OK FOR CEREAL. I haven't replaced milk with anything. Beer, coffee and water. Any plenty of it. And I don't look at the early meal as breakfast anymore.

I think (without any more expertise than the next guy) we should stop eating white things and stick with colorful food.
Old 16-07-2013, 19:06   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

I hear you legs kid.

I apologize for sharing that but the burden was too heavy to bear alone. And, like you, it took milk out of the picture for me. Silk out of the jug is OK in the middle of the night, AND ABSOLUTELY OK FOR CEREAL. I haven't replaced milk with anything. Beer, coffee and water. Any plenty of it. And I don't look at the early meal as breakfast anymore.

I think (without any more expertise than the next guy) we should stop eating white things and stick with colorful food.
Eew! I would have never polluted perfectly good milk with cereal!!! Not a breakfast person, in fact I detest most breakfast foods/meals -- lunch, I love all things lunch!

I'm right there with you on the colorful food thing. My weakness (other than milk) is bread ... I am so looking forward to getting to St. Martin next week and being able to buy really good bread! My bread making skills are not quite up to Jedi's, but I'm working on it.
Old 16-07-2013, 19:11   #119

Bread will stunt yer growth. Ask Nick.
Old 16-07-2013, 19:14   #120

Maybe, I stopped growing several years ago at 5'-7". I think I am happy about that though, lol.