Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 14:19   #91
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
Krogensailor said:

We can't lump all grain into the bad pile.
The problem is refined grain.

Refined or not, grains have never been
meant for human consumption.

A couple of years eating Paleo/Primal for
me. All health aspects are enhanced.

YMMV
What a silly thing to day , bread has been in human diets for centuries ( many many centuries )

Dave
Old 14-07-2013, 14:45   #92

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Mayo

Just because something has been consumed
for a long long time doesn't mean it's good
for you.

Check out:
Wheat Belly Blog | Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:05   #93

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
What a silly thing to day , bread has been in human diets for centuries ( many many centuries )

Dave
Its true, but a century isn't a very long time.

Dr. Fasano, director of the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research has estimated that 6-7% of the population is gluten-sensitve, however most don't even know it.

That's like 20 million americans, enough to make you wonder if we're really mean't to eat it.

Also with the advent of Agriculture, the human skeleton began to decline in size and health, when compared with their hunter-gatherer ancestors.

Dawn of agriculture took toll on health
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:16   #94

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I am not going to follow you advise. Yet I am quite certain that my chance of living significantly longer then my grandparents did is pretty good. On average we eat a lot better then our ancestors did. (City folk in the 19th century for example had no fresh food whatsoever....)
The statistical facts say differently, You will not live as long. Your children are in much worse condition than you may have been at their age. Obesity and consequently, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, all diet related disorders are showing up in children under twenty. Their lives will be effected by the current situation. I'm not offering any advice. I'm sharing what I do in my home and on my boat. Do as you will.
When we sit down at our dinner table tonight, O' wait, we don't sit down to dinner together anymore. Well, when you sit down to implant your Big Mac tonight, because we don't chew either, know that there are over 3000 chemical compounds that are in there that were not in your grandparents dinner. Your grandparents if they lived before 1956 never ate chemical fertilizers. They ate cow **** contaminated goods. We sell that today and call it, Pro-biotics. We can each have our own opinion, our own feelings and our own thoughts, what you can't have is your own facts. And I know it's hard to discern what the facts are, but that hopefully won't stop us from seeking them out. Cancer is in fact off the hook. How many of our grandparents had skin cancer? Has the sun changed in some way? No. We have. Aids, Epstien Barr, MS, limes, psoriasis, Chronic fatigue syndrome and on and on. All are known to be the result of a diminished and exhausted immune system. Further, it's in many cases our own immune system that's attacting us. We can see it or not. We can care or not. We can look to responsible unbiased, non commercial sources of info, NHI, CDC, Major Universities, or you can read a blog by some guy. You can ridicule creative brainstorming, people of good will attempting to understand. Or you can sit down in your favorite fast food joint and commiserate with the other patrons about what a bunch of idiots are out there. For me, at my age, I've seen too many people die off from the above diseases, I'm looking to not be one for as long as possible. Good luck to all. Bon Apetite' . PS. And my main point is to simplify my nutritional requirements on the boat. Simple. cheap, healthy.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 15:26   #95

And as far as living in the city and fresh foods, I don't know how old you are, but I remember very well the hucksters rolling through the city streets, in I hesitate to say it, their horse and wagons. Cheez, am I that old? Loaded with fresh vegetables. "Fresh tomatoes, Broccoli, Batatoes" I can hear em now.
Old 14-07-2013, 15:30   #96
Nearly an old salt

I don't know where you are getting your facts , but on average life expectancy is rising ( for well off societies) . This is down to nutrition and improved Heath care.

That is not to say , there are elements of what you say that are not correct , many of your points are valid. However in recent years there has been a tendency to return to cooked meals etc amongst the middle classes. All conventional proper dieticians will advocate balanced diets.

Yes people living out of McDonald's have a problem , but often this is poverty or education issues.

Dave
Old 14-07-2013, 15:37   #97
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
And as far as living in the city and fresh foods, I don't know how old you are, but I remember very well the hucksters rolling through the city streets, in I hesitate to say it, their horse and wagons. Cheez, am I that old? Loaded with fresh vegetables. "Fresh tomatoes, Broccoli, Batatoes" I can hear em now.
I get my eggs from down the road., my meat is traceable to a particular farmer , I've been in my local milk plant , and the EU doesn't allow (n general ) GM foods and requires higher labelling standards then the US.

I did a lot of software for food producers , supermarkets demand extremely high standard , quick delivery and freshness and will dump suspect produce at the least problem. Often secondary markets , like green grocers( out door markets etc ) are often selling older produce or produce rejected by a supermarket . In certain cases I know this for a fact.

Shopping sensibly, ensuring a healthy mix of meats , fish, vegetables , grains, pulses and so forth is the key. Portion size is a big issue.

Some people sound like they are allergic to the 21st century !

Dave .
Old 14-07-2013, 15:49   #98

Just from the diabetes point. There are other graphs that indicate that in more recent time, trends are moving in a likewise manner.

Welcome to the CDC Diabetes - Data & Trends site.
Skip directly to the search box, site navigation, or content.

CDC en Espa�ol
Search:

Diabetes Data & Trends
Number (in Millions) of Civilian, Noninstitutionalized Persons with Diagnosed Diabetes, United States, 1980–2011

Diabetes is becoming more common in the United States. From 1980 through 2011, the number of Americans with diagnosed diabetes has more than tripled (from 5.6 million to 20.9 million).

Year Number
(In Millions) 1980 5.6 1981 5.6 1982 5.7 1983 5.8 1984 5.9 1985 6.2 1986 6.4 1987 6.4 1988 6.4 1989 6.3 1990 6.6 1991 6.9 1992 7.5 1993 7.6 1994 8.1 1995 8.0 1996 8.8 1997 9.4 1998 10.5 1999 11.1 2000 12.0 2001 12.9 2002 13.6 2003 14.3 2004 15.2 2005 16.3 2006 17.0 2007 17.8 2008 19.0 2009 20.2 2010 20.8 2011 20.9
Data Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, Division of Health Interview Statistics, data from the National Health Interview Survey. Statistical analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Division of Diabetes Translation.

Page last reviewed: March 28, 2013
Page last modified: March 28, 2013

Data & Trends

• Centers for Disease
    Control and Prevention
    National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
    Division of Diabetes Translation

4770 Buford Hwy, NE
    MS K-28
    Atlanta, GA 30341-3717Call:
    1 (800) CDC-INFO (232-4636)
    TTY: 1 (888) 232-6348
    FAX: (770) 488-4760
    CDC-INFO

Department of Health and Human Services

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
800-CDC-INFO (800-232-4636) TTY: (888) 232-6348, 24 Hours/Every Day - cdcinfo@cdc.gov (TTY)

the diabetes point:
Old 14-07-2013, 15:58   #99

gobotingnow said:

grains, pulses and so forth is the key

Nope. Grains and pulses are detrimental to
health. Carbohydrates are never necessary.
I'm just giving you the info...understand it
and act on it or not. Your choice.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 16:03   #100
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not noticing??? The few times that I have inadvertently opened a rotten egg there was NO WAY to not notice!! Yuck...

But the floating trick sounds useful... I'll try to remember that one!

Cheers,

Jim
You know, I have NO sense of smell. Can't even smell the dog poop when I'm downwind. Never smelt gas in my life (that is something I really worry about), and have no idea what rotten eggs even smell like. It's good to have these tricks!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 17:05   #101

"Nope. Grains and pulses are detrimental to
health. Carbohydrates are never necessary".

Well, i guess that's the end of that conversation. Thanks for straightening us out.
Old 14-07-2013, 17:14   #102

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
"Nope. Grains and pulses are detrimental to
health. Carbohydrates are never necessary".

Well, i guess that's the end of that conversation. Thanks for straightening us out.

Well he does have the straight whale blubber diet on his side. oops, more carbs.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 17:19   #103

Boat: Able 50

I couldn't begin to count the number of primitive societies that ate and continue to eat heaps of carbohydrates from root vegetables. Every island in the Pacific for starters plus every country in South and Central America.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 17:26   #104
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I couldn't begin to count the number of primitive societies that ate and continue to eat heaps of carbohydrates from root vegetables. Every island in the Pacific for starters plus every country in South and Central America.
Not to mention 19th century Ireland !

Dave
Old 14-07-2013, 17:32   #105

Okay. Here's your Central America:
Mexico takes title of "most obese" from America - CBS News

Who brought up root vegetables?
But while were at it, do you know
how much saturated fat is in Pacific
Islander's native diet? Or are you
just talking...