Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2010, 18:45   #31

Boat: Fantasia 35
The closest I ever came to seeing blows exchanged on the docks was when a large sailboat was getting a new genoa fitted and a power boat across the dock and upwind put some chicken on the bbq. I don't know what was on that checken but the resultant smoke came pouring off the bbq as thick and gray as could be. It went directly from the bbq onto the new genoa covering it with grease and soot. A few tens of seconds later there was much shouting and running around trying to get the sail down and the smoke to stop. When the smoke cleared there were three guys and a women standing on the dock repeatedly shouting phrases at each other like "how could you be so stupid", "it's against the rules", "the sail is ruined", and of course "who's going to pay for the damage?". As interesting and entertaining as all this was, I had other fish to fry -- up at the marina supplied gas bbq.

All that being said, their are a number of boats on this dock that bbq almost every night. However, they don't have any other boats downwind of them and they use gas bbq. So, as in all things associated with living in a marina, be considerate of your neighbors feelings, space, and property.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 20:35   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Why BBQ are not allowed at marinas Pt One....................
Chiefy....???? I kept hoping these guys would burst into flames by some kind of Divine Intervention.....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 23:12   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Whoa! A marina with a no-BBQ rule? Why would anyone patronize such an institution?

I've BBQed in dozens and dozens and dozens of marinas up and down the west coast, including British Columbia and Baja California Sur, and I've never heard of such silliness.
I grill on my boat (here in this marina) a few times a week. I'd be shocked if someone said we couldn't. But I can also sand, paint, and do pretty much anything in the slip short of pump oil into the water.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote