Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 09:12   #16

Re: Making Icecubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We use ice cube bags

http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Cub.../dp/B00DP6P6R8

not the most ecologically sound, but I've yet to pony up the cash for the vertical ice cube trays.
Thanks for the information
Old 16-06-2016, 00:23   #17

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large

I'm planning a cruise to the Swain Reefs area of the Great Barrier Reef, Australia in a year or two, where there are no provisioning stops. The thought of running out of ice .... aaaargh!
Here's the solution I'm going to trial in the lead up. I've got it at home currently and it works well on our home 240V supply. The specs show it as 130W so shouldn't be too heavy a draw on our power supply. It's reasonably small and fits neatly between the nav table and the adjacent seat on my Dufour 365 Grand Large, close to an inverter power point. Claims to make 16.2kg of ice in 24hrs, although it would need to be emptied of ice and topped up with water many times in a day. I think running it for an hour or two at a time (while motoring probably) would be ample for icecubes for sundowners, as well as keeping the beers cold in our drinks esky (Australian for portable icebox).
Check it out - anyone else used one??

tuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 08:49   #18

Boat: Outbound 46

It takes a LOT of power to make ice, so we hardly ever do it. Most places in the Caribbean, you can buy a bag of ice very inexpensively. This has the advantage of filling space in the freezer, making it more efficient.

David
s/v Callisto
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 09:27   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I just ordered these, I don't like plastic, but if it can be re-used over and over, I don't mind it so bad.

Lizzie, what are silicone ice cube thingies?
I think she means silicone ice pop molds. Like these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010YSZA4I/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1466180790&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=silicone+ice+pop+mold&dpP l=1&dpID=41TuB6eiVdL&ref=plSrch
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 09:45   #20

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuddy View Post
Here's the solution I'm going to trial in the lead up. I've got it at home currently and it works well on our home 240V supply. The specs show it as 130W so shouldn't be too heavy a draw on our power supply. It's reasonably small and fits neatly between the nav table and the adjacent seat on my Dufour 365 Grand Large, close to an inverter power point. Claims to make 16.2kg of ice in 24hrs, although it would need to be emptied of ice and topped up with water many times in a day.

That was my plan as well. However, if you read the reviews on these appliances you'll find that they don't last long. Having experience with similar Chinese devices which never work well, then stop working, I determined that the need for ice is less than my level of frustration constantly trying to make them work.

I also found that common models are branded in all manners- from no-name to recognized brand names- and the price varies accordingly. So if you do elect to buy one, search Amazon, Ebay, etc to find the best price for the same device. For example, the specimen you linked is marketed in USA by Igloo and many Igloo models are also branded by two or three others.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 12:22   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

No, I'm pretty sure she is referring to the same silicone cube things I posted. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1466191361.077167.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	126365

Follow us on tikitreksailing.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote