Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2016, 08:32   #31

Boat: Lots of boats.
Re: Make ahead meals for a passage

This is a no brainer. Let the chef do the cooking. Chef Boyardee! Although probably not that healthy as a staple, Spaghetti and Meatballs provides both pasta and protein for sustained energy. Already cooked and ready to eat for about a buck a can. I eat right out of the can as it actually tastes better if not reheated. The cans are pull top and a couple of shakes of hot sauce into the can and you have a tasty wholesome meal with almost no cleanup. Doesn't get easier than this for those first few days. Mix in some fruits and perhaps some cereal in the mornings and away you go with little effort!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 20:44   #32

Boat: Sadler 25

Some really good ideas here!

As I don't have a freezer I make bolognese sauce with corned beef instead of ground beef unless I have home canned/bottled ground beef ahead of time. I don't have a refrigerator just an ice box which can take up to 10kilos of ice.

My pressure cooker is a godsend, I make up a meal (pasta and sauce, chili con carne and rice, rice with tuna, onion and sweetcorn etc), I bring it up to pressure, turn the heat off and then leave it on the stove with the lid on, whatever the meal is keeps for a couple of days as long as it is not opened. If it's opened, then I repeat the process of heating up with the lid on. Because the lid locks in place, should the pressure cooker leap off the stove (not happened yet in 20yrs of cruising) the food stays inside instead of all over the cabin.

I do get seasick, in fact on our last passage from Philippines to Langkawi, Malaysia I was sick for 10 days and Rob had to do all the watches, I barely managed 1 three hour watch in 24 hours. Luckily, we had innumerable tins of baked beans and sausage, lots of crackers and cheese (preserved in oil) so Rob could get something to eat when he needed it.

Tricia
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 22:27   #33

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

When suppertime came, the old cook came on deck
Saying, "Fellas, it's too rough to feed ya."
--Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald

When the Gales of November come early, the best passage food is finger food. When its too rough to boil water, I can still put together a ham and cheese sandwich. Candy and granola bars, cookies, fruit and bottled water also work.

After its calmed down a bit, my favorite one-pot meal is mac and cheese, with some diced ham and a can of green beans--it doesn't slide off the plate/bowl like lasagna.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 22:53   #34

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

yep there's the good ol' pb and j for energy and ease, but lately I have had a craving for salami and cheese and french bread and wine as finger food. And smoked oysters. Funny what cravings can come along...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 23:12   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
yep there's the good ol' pb and j for energy and ease, but lately I have had a craving for salami and cheese and french bread and wine as finger food. And smoked oysters. Funny what cravings can come along...
Caviar and and dry toast pieces are also good finger foods.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:23   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Caviar and and dry toast pieces are also good finger foods.

I know you were joking but IKEA sells this great Swedish Callie's roe paste in a tube that is yummy on crackers or knackerbrod for a meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
I know you were joking but IKEA sells this great Swedish Callie's roe paste in a tube that is yummy on crackers or knackerbrod for a meal.

Who's joking? Really? Now who would really rather have Chef Boy ar Dee over caviar and fine wine in a storm? In fact the vintage should be inversely proportional to the windspeed, no?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 02-08-2016, 08:29   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Who's joking? Really? Now who would really rather have Chef Boy ar Dee over caviar and fine wine in a storm? In fact the vintage should be inversely proportional to the windspeed, no?

The Callie's roe in a tube is far from caviar and fine wine. My husband learned about it when living in Sweden--it was standard backpacking/camping food for convenience. Sort of like taking along a junk food like prepackaged peanut butter and crackers you find at the 7-11 here in the US.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:36   #39

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
neither one of these would stay down in a storm....
Old 02-08-2016, 08:47   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
neither one of these would stay down in a storm....
Very true, but at least you'd enjoy it for the first half of its journey. Although then again it might end the craving forever. On one trip I had to cook during a rough bit. Made a lovely fig desert. Took me years to enjoy figs again.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 02-08-2016, 09:35   #41

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Very true, but at least you'd enjoy it for the first half of its journey. Although then again it might end the craving forever. On one trip I had to cook during a rough bit. Made a lovely fig desert. Took me years to enjoy figs again.
I
I will never think of "figgy pudding" the same way again...

Tags
head, meals, passage