Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 18:16   #1

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Magma BBQ Blowing Out

Hi all,
I tried BBQing on my stern rail in a really good blow last week and the damn BBQ kept going out. I also remember an overnight trip with my family when it was blowing pretty good and the same thing happened. I have tried creating a wind shield out of aluminum foil, but had mixed results.
I have come up with a small stand made of 3/4" galvanized pipe that should allow me to move the grill into my cockpit on those windy days. I'll let you know how it works, but I would also be interested in solutions used by others.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 18:40   #2

Re: Magma BBQ Blowing Out

That's why they put the stoves down below.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 18:49   #3

Boat: too many

Bill,

You already know what I'm going to say (I think I mentioned it on other threads), I've gone electric BBQ and never going back to propane.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:17   #4

Stand is a good idea. I'd put a metal pan of some sort under the rig to keep the decks safe (and clean).

Keep us posted.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 15:04   #5

Boat: Schucker 436 1977 39’+

I recently bought a Magna Kettle
First the Power Grip mounting bracket broke on the second use. I scavenged the good parts and made a useable mount. Not too impressed. As far as blowing out mine does so in very light wind. I also discovered that I don’t want to mess with the 1 pound propane cans and am just going to run it it off of my 20 pound tanks. This requires purchasing an adaptor hose. Cheap deal.
I have been reading about the regulator supplied with the Magma Kettle. It looks like this regulator can be bought with small, medium and large output. The difference being the size of the orifice that allows more or less gas flow in conjunction with the control valve. I read that my Kettle should have come with the small regulator orifice and that changing to the medium regulator or drilling out the orifice should resolve a lot of the blow out issues. Great solution. My problem is I cannot identify my present regulator to determine is it really the small or another size. I also can’t find the orifice sizing for either the medium or large orifice so I could drill it out myself.
I guess I can just order a medium and hope it is different than the one supplied with the grill.
Does anyone have any idea how to identify which regulator is which or the orifice sizing?
My regulator has Model 6300 embossed on it.
The part numbers that I have found for these 3 regulators which by the way look identical are
10-262 Low output type 1 regulator
10-264 Medium output
10-265 High output
Sorry so long winded. They sell for about $40.00 so don’t want to ruin the one I have or buy the wrong one if I can help it. Hopefully this can help some of y’all and maybe someone knows the answers to my questions.
Thanks
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 17:32   #6

works best sailing down wind. kidding some times the regulator or element gets funky and shuts off in the wind. i need a gimbled one so my weaners dont roll around.
dmdelorme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 18:25   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have three Magma’s, two in storage, the little round one I think I left in the barn right beside of the CQR when I sold the farm.
I gave up on Magma simply because they won’t stay lit, I went with a little Weber, much, much better temperature control, and it will stay lit.

I was told the IR Magma would stay lit, sounded plausible, but it’s not any better.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 05:52   #8

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Gave up on Magma several years ago, Very expensive "marine grade" junk.
Weber q 1200 works. Grilled in 20 knots of wind even heating no blow outs.
Old 23-08-2020, 06:17   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesD View Post
I recently bought a Magna Kettle
First the Power Grip mounting bracket broke on the second use. I scavenged the good parts and made a useable mount. Not too impressed. As far as blowing out mine does so in very light wind. I also discovered that I don’t want to mess with the 1 pound propane cans and am just going to run it it off of my 20 pound tanks. This requires purchasing an adaptor hose. Cheap deal.
I have been reading about the regulator supplied with the Magma Kettle. It looks like this regulator can be bought with small, medium and large output. The difference being the size of the orifice that allows more or less gas flow in conjunction with the control valve. I read that my Kettle should have come with the small regulator orifice and that changing to the medium regulator or drilling out the orifice should resolve a lot of the blow out issues. Great solution. My problem is I cannot identify my present regulator to determine is it really the small or another size. I also can’t find the orifice sizing for either the medium or large orifice so I could drill it out myself.
I guess I can just order a medium and hope it is different than the one supplied with the grill.
Does anyone have any idea how to identify which regulator is which or the orifice sizing?
My regulator has Model 6300 embossed on it.
The part numbers that I have found for these 3 regulators which by the way look identical are
10-262 Low output type 1 regulator
10-264 Medium output
10-265 High output
Sorry so long winded. They sell for about $40.00 so don’t want to ruin the one I have or buy the wrong one if I can help it. Hopefully this can help some of y’all and maybe someone knows the answers to my questions.
Thanks

We run our 17" Magma grill off a 20# tank and think it blew out once or twice. In general, we use our grill a lot and very few times does it blow out, even in heavier air. Will say the guts of the grill are low grade and we have replaced them. Relatively they are much cheaper than replacing the whole grill and allows us to carry spares.
The info above is slightly incorrect where the 10-262 is an extremely low output regulator and the low output found on most Magma models is the 10-263. Apparently the way to distinguish the regulator # is by the color of the dot painted on the regulator handle (the 10-263 has no dot painted on it). This handy valve application guide is very helpful to determine what is the correct regulator for your Magma grill.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 08:47   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

magma do that. i have 4 ... all free to good home. i prefer smokey joe on a tile on cockpit deck. i cook in galley on passages and bbq when in marina or anchored.
good luck. on my ericson i no longer have, i used to make wind breaks which helped keep flame on in bbq. wastes less propane. if you can make/provide some windbreaks, removable, do that. it helps
my other solution is charcoal. mexican style, non briquette. mesquite or manzanita..looks like parts of trees and is sold in brown wrapping in mexican tiendas.
best of luck
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 09:11   #11

I found placing the lid on the windward side helped, if you are not lidding it. They do occasionally blow out though. I usually chose to not BBQ on windy days.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 19:18   #12

I think that's just what they do I've had three different mamga grills and they've all done that. I switch to a Weber 2000. and although in the wind the temperature doesn't get quite as hot it never blows out it is painted aluminum so it doesn't turn black. I've had it 3 years and so far I am very happy with it will never go back to a magma again
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 20:56   #13

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The blue regulator that comes with the Kettle BBQ is trash. Magma sells several varieties of regulators that work much much better in the wind when mated to a real propane cylinder like the 6 pound we kept on the rail. All our kettle grill problems went away when we did that switch. For example:

https://www.magmaproducts.com/product/a10-224
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote