Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2012, 18:43   #1

Long Life Butter ...

Well that is the butter issue dealt with for the foreseeable future, 24 x 16oz cans of creamy goodness.....

IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 18:46   #2

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Long Life Butter....

What store carries that line of butter?? Have not seen before.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 19:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

What store carries that line of butter?? Have not seen before.
I couldn't find it in any stores in Aus so googled, found the importer in Sth Melbourne......

Ballantyne - Makers of Fine Quality Food Ingredients & Dairy Products since 1929

.....emailed them regarding availability/distributors/price and it turned out to be easier to get it sent directly from them. It's a New Zealand product and they guarantee the shelf life for at least 2 years, no preservatives, and it's very very nice!

Disclaimer: i have no intrests in the above other than spreading the stuff over freshly baked bread......
Old 21-02-2012, 19:20   #4

In the States several of the can meat online stores sell it. Best butter bar none...
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 05:33   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Well that is the butter issue dealt with for the foreseeable future, 24 x 16oz cans of creamy goodness.....

Excellent, thanks for posting this; I haven't seen canned butter in Oz since the 80's - mind you I wasn't looking that hard but now I know where to get it again. I had tried canned Ghee but it just isn't the same.

Any idea of where to get egg powder in Oz?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 05:48   #6

At half the price you can can it yourself!

Use salted butter, bring to boil, stirring all the time, in a heavy pan. Put in heated jars(1lb butter fills a 1 pint jar). Put on lids, I use mason jars, once lid has sealed shake every 15 mins until cool. Put in fridge and shake once more after 15 mins.

That's it, tastes great and keeps for about 3 years.....
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 08:16   #7

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
Use salted butter, bring to boil, stirring all the time, in a heavy pan. Put in heated jars(1lb butter fills a 1 pint jar). Put on lids, I use mason jars, once lid has sealed shake every 15 mins until cool. Put in fridge and shake once more after 15 mins.
Oh, so cool, thank you for that recipe! I didn't see canned butter until the Cook Islands (whose grocery stores are stocked with stuff from New Zealand), and thought we'd have to wait that long next time.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 12:16   #8
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Does canning work with both salted and unsalted butter?
Old 22-02-2012, 12:18   #9
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Ann did you mean you keep canned butter in the fridge always or just until it sets up? I bought tinned butter once and it went rancid.
Old 22-02-2012, 12:23   #10

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

MRE depot used to sell that; i have about 3/4 case left. Now I believe they stock a different brand.

Results for Canned Meats, Cheese & Butter
Old 22-02-2012, 13:36   #11

This isn't the first time we have used this product, or the second for that matter, it's just the first time we had to go looking for it here in Aus....

As for shelf life, the producer guarantees 2 years but if kept in a cool space it last years longer, the last can we had was around 5 years old and we didn't notice any appreciable loss in quality.....

Red Feather Brand Canned Butter :: New Zealand Butter

My significant other half is a Chef and has been using it for years, she swears by it, thats good enough for me.....
Old 22-02-2012, 17:38   #12

I use this store for canned butter and excellent canned meat.

http://www.internet-grocer.net/product.html
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 06:27   #13

Does canning work with both salted and unsalted butter?

No it needs to be salted butter, the process does slightly increase the saltiness but nothing that we have found unpalatable.

Ann did you mean you keep canned butter in the fridge always or just until it sets up? I bought tinned butter once and it went rancid.

Just keep in the fridge until it sets up. Then we store it on a cool place on the boat. Once the jar is opened then I store it in the ice box. For long journeys I make up a number of 1/2 lb jars and we use those up before it can go rancid.

I have also stored butter in a brine solution with success. I use Lynne Pardey's recipe of a 5:1 solution. Just wash the butter when you want to use it to remove the excess salt. In some respects it's a simpler method of preservation but my sense is that it doesn't keep as long as the canning. I can't be definitive as we've always used it up within six to eight months!
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 09:14   #14

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Has anyone tried powdered butter?

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/i...ter_powder.htm
Old 23-02-2012, 09:48   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

From the University of Georgia:
Quote:
Should I use directions for canning butter at home that I see on the Internet?
Indeed, there are some directions for 'canning' butter in circulation on the Internet. Most of what we have seen are not really canning, as they do not have Boiling Water or Pressure Canning processes applied to the filled jar. Jars are preheated, the butter is melted down and poured into the jars, and the lids are put on the jars. Some directions say to put the jars in the refrigerator as they re-harden, but to keep shaking them at regular intervals to keep the separating butter better mixed as it hardens. This is merely storing butter in canning jars, not ‘canning’. True home canning is when the food is heated enough to destroy or sufficiently acid enough to prevent growth of all spores of Clostridium botulinum (that causes botulism) and other pathogens during room temperature storage on the shelf.
There is more information in the link.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote