Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 13:19   #76
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: Living Without a Fridge

The first few days after we unplug are the worst. Eutectic plate holds about 24 hours during which we finish up the lettuce, thaw the frozen strawberries and eat the last steak. When you're thirsty enough, drinks taste good without ice. Just ask the Brits.
Old 17-02-2012, 12:13   #77

Boat: Snapdragon 890

Having read all of this (yeah, actually read the whole lot - haha ) I have to admit I would like a fridge or freezer. It was one of the things I put a lot of thought into before getting the liveaboard......... However, I have no room for either, and no money to buy either / refit boat to accomodate them......

Jedi, I do have agree though, I am single. I don't like beans, but a quick look in the fridge in my last home revealed fruit juice, cheese, half an onion and some fresh peppers.... Think I'll survive without a fridge (I'm in England anyway - would rather a heater than a fridge!)

The only real need I have for a fridge is because I'm programmed to cook for at least 4 people and would usually chill / freeze what's left until required.... Guess I'd better learn how to cook less at a time?
gixerjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 12:20   #78
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have lived on board since 1990 sans fridge. sans water heater. what is the big deal??? there are foods that dont need fridge for a few days-- no biggie--- dont need to eat mres or other idiot items either--i eat normally and i survive--never had a poisoning from bad foods and only lost a lil cream from being more than 5 days old or too near the date on container when purchased.
leftovers only last a short time as i feed hungry folks when i am able, and most of what i cook too much of is easily re heated to fix the potential problems oif poisoning or death....i am still alive and well..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 12:22   #79

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerjen View Post
I don't like beans, but a quick look in the fridge in my last home revealed fruit juice, cheese, half an onion and some fresh peppers....
Damn, I'm married and that's what my fridge looks like (minus the fruit juice). I should be sailing. At least I could starve in better surroundings.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 12:43   #80

Zee had given me an idea; I should try and make lots of friends on the marina and then we could feed each other? Thereby eliminating the cooked food storage issue...... And, being England, the beer I would be offering would still be chilled!
Old 17-02-2012, 12:46   #81

Boat: Skookum 53'

Well if you can catch fish and eat instant noodles, then there won't be much left overs. 5 gallons of soy sauce, a fishing line and a big bag of rice, will carry you far!
Old 17-02-2012, 12:50   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerjen View Post
The only real need I have for a fridge is because I'm programmed to cook for at least 4 people and would usually chill / freeze what's left until required.... Guess I'd better learn how to cook less at a time?
I have that same problem, being from Louisiana. It's a cultural thing, I guess.

That, and the pans are big. How does one cook a small amount in a pressure cooker, for instance? Mine is the small Fagor 'Rapida', 6L? Are there tiny pressure cookers out there?
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 12:53   #83
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

I'm guessing some of those advocating no fridge don't have a female aboard. It's conceivable we might be more trouble than the fridge, but we are SO worth it ... And so is my fridge/freezer. We turn out meals rivaling anything we eat during the six months as dirt-dwellers, and sometimes better! I'm recently on a Thai food kick, and without any special appliances, we've had some pretty tasty meals. Plus what would I do with leftover fresh fish if I didn't have the freezer? It's all what you want, but I'm not camping on the water - this is my lifestyle.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 13:02   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv Winterlude View Post
I'm guessing some of those advocating no fridge don't have a female aboard. It's conceivable we might be more trouble than the fridge, but we are SO worth it ... And so is my fridge/freezer. We turn out meals rivaling anything we eat during the six months as dirt-dwellers, and sometimes better! I'm recently on a Thai food kick, and without any special appliances, we've had some pretty tasty meals. Plus what would I do with leftover fresh fish if I didn't have the freezer? It's all what you want, but I'm not camping on the water - this is my lifestyle.

errr....ye dont know i AM a woman..... and i havent had fridge since 1990...only ones who gripe about no fridge on my boat have been men....LOL...
and there are no ramen noodles on my boat...
Old 17-02-2012, 13:06   #85
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

now THAT'S funny! Chuckle! Thx zeehag! I'll still stick with my Adler Barber, but it's nice to "meet" you!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 13:08   #86

winterlude-- pleased to meetye as well.
Old 17-02-2012, 13:17   #87

Boat: a sailing boat

We sailed pretty far out and about without a fridge, so I can tell you a fridge is not a must-have. But I do not think this is an option for any meat-eater. I believe, the rule goes same as with other equipment: if you need/use it in your landlife, you will need it onboard!

We have a peltier unit onboard that can be turned on and off any time, so if we want a cool drink, we just place one into the fridge, turn it on for 30 minutes et voile!

The 'afford' by Jedi I think is for fun only as fridges today cost so little that people who cannot afford one cannot probably afford cruising either.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 13:21   #88
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel

The 'afford' by Jedi I think is for fun only as fridges today cost so little that people who cannot afford one cannot probably afford cruising either.

b.
I recently read here on CF about a sail yacht being sold for $1,600.- was above budget for someone so how much may a fridge cost then?

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 13:57   #89

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

A fridge give more choice of food aboard and and a freezer much more 4 weeks into a 6 week passage.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 14:14   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
At the moment I can't afford a fridge, however I've not chosen cruising as a hobby, it's a way of living when the house prices are too high, and I'm not willing to pay a landlord's mortgage off on their behalf.

One day I'd like a fridge, a freezer, a cooker that works properly, a good heater....... and probably a bigger boat to fit it all in...... but for now; I got what I got and I'd rather that than not.

Tags
refrigerator