Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 08:35   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Knife storage

I love to cook and enjoy surprising folks who think fine dining doesn't mix with sailing. I would like to have some good quality knives on board but can't bring myself to dumping them in a drawer.

Magnetic bar storage seems to be an option but I'm concerned about safety. We've been in some mighty choppy water and the idea of a handful of very sharp knives going airborne is not appealing. Has anyone tried these magnetic holders (or something else for that matter)? Are they strong enough to keep a blade in place in rough conditions?

I've tried using the search routine for "knife storage" and appear to get threads that have no connection whatever to the search phrase.

TIA

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 08:38   #2
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
We use a magnetic knife storage and it works great. Make sure you have some good German steel knives and it shouldn't be a problem.
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 08:42   #3

Boat: c&c landfall 43
I was on a boat that had cuts put right thru the counter top at the back of a set of drawers where the blade of the knife went thru. looked like a good idea.
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 08:56   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I don't trust knives out in the open whether they're held by strong magnets or not. Put them in a drawer with a good catch. Doesn't hurt them, just sharpen them every time you use them.
Old 16-06-2008, 09:20   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rich, I don't know where it was or came from, but I have seen a "knife block" made up in a drawer, so that each knife was stored with the sharp side of the blade "down" and a space milled about the handle so you could pick it up and out. A regular knife block would work, as long as you bolted it down and provided some kind of "cover" to secure the knives into it. You could also mill/route one long series of slots into the back of a counter, and build a flip-down cover to secure the knives down into it, or something like that.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 09:26   #6
GreatKetch

Our good knifes all live in a drawer, BUT they are in leather sheaths. In addition to protecting the edges from nicks and dents, we keep the leather saturated with cooking oil which protects the carbon steel blades from rust.

I never have found a stainless blade that comes close to our Japanese laminated Knives ability to take and hold an edge. They are literally razor sharp, and stay that way for weeks between sharpenings. I have a bald spot on the back of my left hand where I shave the hair to test and see if I am done sharpening.

The sheathes are easily made, just take an appropriatly sized piece of medium weight split leather, fold it in half, and stitch two sides together. A small enough project you can stitch by hand without a lot of work.

Bill
Old 16-06-2008, 09:43   #7
Eternal Member

Thank you for all your responses. I've considered cutting some slots into the rear of the counter. Actually pretty easy - simply drill two 3/8 in holes - cut between them and plug holes with 3/8 dowel. It just seems so permanent.

The rack in the drawer would be fine but I don't have enough draws to dedicate one to holding 3-4 knives.

I collect, re-furbish, and use straight razors - consequently I have the mind set that even my knives need to have a very keen edge. The idea of letting them bounce around is not going to be on my short list.

I was rather hoping that someone would say "oh yeah I found this at ....." but it looks like I'll have to make something. As an alternative to holes in my counter I have also considered making a hinged rack that would mount vertically from a bulkhead or inside a cabinet door. Looks like I need to have another glass of ol' thought provoker and doodle a few sketchs.

Thanks again,

Rich
Old 16-06-2008, 09:47   #8

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
A year or so ago, we installed an "ELF" rack system in the quarter berth, now a pantry... The drawers are made of mesh steel...the wife says its the best as the knives as well as other kitchen tools have air flowing around them... no rust, or mildue...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 09:54   #9
Eternal Member

Randyonr3,

Could you elaborate on that a bit. "ELF" rack system? Also, I'd be interested to know what you did to your quarterberth in some detail. That's another project that is on my "honey do" list. Too much wasted space in the QB.

Thanks
Rich
Old 16-06-2008, 10:02   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Me too.

I too would love to see any ideas on converting a Quarter Berth to useful space.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Randyonr3,

Could you elaborate on that a bit. "ELF" rack system? Also, I'd be interested to know what you did to your quarterberth in some detail. That's another project that is on my "honey do" list. Too much wasted space in the QB.

Thanks
Rich
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 10:19   #11

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I installed a double wall strip magnet to hold the knives. These are very strong magnetic stainless covered strips we got from IKEA. Does a great job keeping the knives organized. They will never accidently let go. Even in a roll over.
Old 16-06-2008, 10:46   #12

Just put some industrial strength velcro under your favorite knife block. My last boat had the knife block built into the counter top which was pretty cool.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 10:56   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I keep my good quality knives in a knife block, too. It's wedged into a bin behind the reefer so it can't escape, no matter how rough it gets.
Old 16-06-2008, 11:31   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cabo,how about going to a good wurstwaren (a place that sells german wursts and salamis, etc.) and buying a dozen nice salamis and cevalats and such? Then you just hang 'em alongside the galley, and stick a knife or two in each one.<VBG>

Keeps the rust away, too!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 14:44   #15

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I installed a double wall strip magnet to hold the knives. These are very strong magnetic stainless covered strips we got from IKEA. Does a great job keeping the knives organized. They will never accidently let go. Even in a roll over.
The only issue I have with magnetic holders is you need to be careful to not roll the knive edge first.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote