Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 06:44   #61
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Keeping mayonnaise with no refrig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Who you going to believe? A scientist or a guy named Mayo? Lol

I went with my MIL!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:58   #62

Boat: contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
We heard that Mayo kept with refrigeration before we left for SoPac. Bought a jar and tried it out for a couple of montha before we left without any problems. Bought smallish jars to take with us just to be cautious. No problems with Mayo that had been open for several months in a year and a half in the tropics. Met a couple on a trimaran that loved their Mayonaise. In fact loved it so much they bought it in the industrial sized gallon jars that you find in commercial kitchens and kept it unrefrigerated.

BTW, we had eggs that lasted more than 6 months before we finally ran out. We are way too paranoid about dirt in the US. So paranoid some medical people think we are setting ourselves up for an epidemic. By being super germ conscious, we don't develop natural immunity to common bugs.

AMEN!
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:01   #63

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
No hard feelings over this, right?

I mean, we need to all stay friends, so those with cold mayo jars can visit the warm mayo jar people on the third floor, two doors past the elevator. Visiting hours end at 8pm.

Seriously, I keep our refrigerators so cold, ice develops in some items like orange juice and bottled water. In that environment, I throw away mayo that is a couple months old. I prefer something fresh over something with miles on it.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04   #64

There's a lot of things like this and I've been asking grandma for tips. Eggs used to be kept in... darn I forgot, some sort of gel. Apples can keep all winter in a dark place. There's lots to learn on this. It's surprising and definitely worth learning. Anyone got any more to add here?

edit: Also, watch out for the difference between hygiene and being clean. Bugs from the environment are one thing and bugs from other people are something different. Bugs in dirt helps the body, bugs from sick people are more likely to make you sick. Jewish people live a long time due to the increased hygiene. This is a different thing to avoiding hooky food. I like raw fish, eggs and prawns but they have to be fresh and from natural environment. I don't like farmed salmon raw if it's from couped up fish.
Hygiene isn't all the same.

You can achieve much more by washing hands before eating, picking your nose or itching your eye, keeping keyboards and TV remotes clean. In every resturant I've been to these days I'm the only one who washes my hands before eating...
jago25_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06   #65
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Protected or not by other ingredients, a raw egg sitting out in a warm jar is a good idea? Prudent thinking would lead me to think of readily available alternatives.
No hard feelings, you egghead ; -)

But, strictly speaking the eggs used in commercial mayo are not raw. They are pasteurized.

I am tempted to start a thread about dry cleaning and the fact that almost ALL clothing labeled dry clean can actually be washed, if the proper method is used ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:27   #66

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post
There's a lot of things like this and I've been asking grandma for tips. Eggs used to be kept in... darn I forgot, some sort of gel. Apples can keep all winter in a dark place. There's lots to learn on this. It's surprising and definitely worth learning. Anyone got any more to add here?
I think you comment is reveals so much about our refrigerated, pasturised, deodorised, dessicated and homogenised society. We've all been freeze dried into thinking it was always like this. If its not unblemished, waxed and full of artificial flavours, colours and preservatives then we think it is unfit to eat. It has to be plastic wrapped and vacuum sealed.

People have forgotten that chicken hasn't always come frozen and wrapped in plastic or covered in a secret recipe of herbs and spices.

People lived and ate quite well before the invention of the refrigerator.

Except for ice cream most foods in the the modern fridge were once stored in a cupboard. Meats were dried or smoked or jugged. Salting pickling and glazing were commonly used for preserving. Canning and bottling are still the best way for long term storage.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:35   #67

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Hey, it comes in variety pack flavors. Why not be safe and have variety?
You forgot to mention all the plastic waste we can generate as well.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:00   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jago25_98 View Post

edit: Also, watch out for the difference between hygiene and being clean. Bugs from the environment are one thing and bugs from other people are something different. Bugs in dirt helps the body, bugs from sick people are more likely to make you sick. Jewish people live a long time due to the increased hygiene. This is a different thing to avoiding hooky food. I like raw fish, eggs and prawns but they have to be fresh and from natural environment. I don't like farmed salmon raw if it's from couped up fish.
Hygiene isn't all the same.

You can achieve much more by washing hands before eating, picking your nose or itching your eye, keeping keyboards and TV remotes clean. In every resturant I've been to these days I'm the only one who washes my hands before eating...
spray a little Alar on an apple and it will last for years!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:18   #69

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina
No hard feelings, you egghead ; -)

But, strictly speaking the eggs used in commercial mayo are not raw. They are pasteurized.

I am tempted to start a thread about dry cleaning and the fact that almost ALL clothing labeled dry clean can actually be washed, if the proper method is used ; -)
My wife washes all her dry clean only clothes
Old 04-10-2012, 11:07   #70

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

GaryMoyo brings up a good point about the packaged Mayo. I believe that in fact Mayo in a jar can make you sick. Even if it is only due to re-dipping into the jar with contaminated utensil. I mean sick is sick right? What does it matter how you got sick from the Mayo...if it was from the contents or outside contamination. When you're having projectile vomiting and you are incapacitated, the horse is out of the stall.
So I think it would be a good idea buying a box of Mayo in packages. I have never heard of them having a problem.
As usual, I appreciate the members here for bringing the issuer up. I would never have thought about it otherwise. That being said...keep your cotton-picken fingers off my Peanut-Butter!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:59   #71
CLOD

Boat: none

well, I think I'm just going to keep puting my mayo back into the frig!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:06   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If your religion is refrigerated mayo, you're welcome to your belief. Unfortunately it's just that, a religious belief that doesn't stand up to reality.

But you had to go and open up the true Pandora's Box. PEANUT BUTTER CAUSES CANCER. Actually Peanut Butter produces a cancer causing chemical as it spoils. All food items begin to spoil as soon as it is stored in an oxygen environment at temps around or warmer than freezing. Think about that the next time you're eating your PB&J made with your non GMO organic jam.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13   #73

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Had to rain on my party didn't you...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 21:40   #74

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
A reasonable extension of this logic is to say that just because I have not been hit by falling space junk for 25 years it surely could happen and I should worry about it.jim cate

That's not really logic.

Maybe the more reasonable extension is that you have sped down the highway 15 mph over the speed limit and never gotten a ticket. Just because you haven't gotten one has no has has no relation to you getting one the next time. if the cops there you will get oneJust because you have avoided getting sick has no relation to the next time you eat the o unrefrigerated mayo, if the microbes are present you can still get very sick.
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 21:46   #75

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
Actually unrefrigerated peanut butter contains aflo toxins.

All of you who have these stout immune systems who don't beleive in refrigeration would be the first to sue a restaurant if you got sick on unrefrigerated mayo which contained salmonella. You can do what you want in your own house/ boat and are only responsible for sickening yourselves, but the rules/ laws are made for commercial establishments which would not just sicken a couple long range cruisers, but might put 500 people in the hospital if the food in question mayonnaise was not handled correctly.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais