Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 22:40   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Keep or toss Toaster Oven and Microwave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Right! Wimps. throw out the stove too, all you need is a surplus can opener and a fork. Rough it, make it harder!
Surplus can opener and fork???
Luxury!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 00:16   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

This is not a question where other people can really give you much useful advice.

I have a built-in microwave on board, part of the original build of the boat. I find it incredibly useful, one of the most useful bits of gear on board. I use it much more (probably 10x more) than the microwave at home; in fact I use it more than the regular propane stove. It is probably even more useful to me, than to many on here, because I sail in a cold climate and usually have the boat closed up, where burning propane is not always pleasant.

I don't have a toaster oven, and would be loathe to try to find space for it (every square centimeter is precious in the galley). I suppose, however, that this is also a useful device -- IF you have a place for it. It takes a lot of propane to heat the regular oven, with a lot of attendant heat (unpleasant in hot weather) and/or propane fumes (unpleasant in cold weather), so it would be really good to have an alternative way to bake or roast small items.

For that purpose, I suppose best of all would be a built-in microwave with combined convection oven -- something I think about installing in place of my microwave, but it's never gotten high enough on the list.

For toasting bread, you don't need a toaster oven - a regular toaster is fine and much easier to find space for.

Don't listen to those who would have you squat on the cabin sole and do all your cooking over a single antique Primus burner. Cooking is a big part of cruising for most people, and there's nothing at all wrong with getting your galley equipment just right, to suit exactly the way you like to cook, not someone else's way.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:10   #63

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Your right , the One english cheese melts, .....................
If your knowledge of English Cheese is restricted to just one, then your knowledge is sadly lacking.

Yes everyone knows about cheddar - but that is a loose term, and there are a large number of regional cheeses that have completely different taste and texture. There are a number of goats and sheep cheeses,

and of course there is stilton.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:16   #64
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post

If your knowledge of English Cheese is restricted to just one, then your knowledge is sadly lacking.

Yes everyone knows about cheddar - but that is a loose term, and there are a large number of regional cheeses that have completely different taste and texture. There are a number of goats and sheep cheeses,

Shropshire Blue !

Blue Stilton with Port added... plus a glass of Port on the side

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:33   #65

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50

I just found a decent toast solution (after giving away the awful folding round one that does four slices but takes forever, as well as a big rectangular one that eats too much space for what it does). There is one on Amazon for $16 (search for "Primus Toaster"), and it is FAST. It only does one slice at a time, but takes maybe a minute, and it folds flat into a 5.5 x 6.5-inch rectangle. I've only had it a few days and can't speak to longevity, but so far, I'm delighted.

(I thought about toaster ovens, but the only space where one could live is taken up by a much-loved espresso machine... and I have a Microwave that works well but doesn't really get used much. Toaster ovens get really hot on top, so overhanging cabinetry is at risk if you want to embed it back out of the way. I hear the Panasonic "Flash Xpress" is one of the good choices, cooking with IR. Never touched one, though, so that's not a recommendation!)

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-05-2013, 03:17   #66

A toaster oven and a microwave is an inefficient use of devices on a sailing boat. It would be much better to have a combination microwave, grill and oven.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:35   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Keep or toss Toaster Oven and Microwave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post

Its okay.. he's one of a strange British sub culture called 'Francophile's'... throwback to the Normans I think...
Its where all the princess kissing frog's tales come from..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:47   #68
Marine Service Provider

We have and regularly use both. If we had to toss one the microwave would go first.
And the toaster oven is becoming more and more advanced,if you are going to buy another,visit here: toaster oven reviews
charlesbanglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:55   #69
Marine Service Provider

It depends on your space and power source. We have the space, a generator.So, we regularly use our toaster oven, microwave/convection oven, and a bread maker.
charlesbanglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:03   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I'm just back from a long cruise in France, and wished I had had a convection oven (and electric hot plate). Reason is we almost ran out of gas, and as it turns out you can't buy Calor gas in France (I would have had to buy a new regulator and hoses etc and fit a Camping Gaz bottle, an expensive PITA).

Electric cooking is a very useful backup to gas, on top of the other advantages mentioned in this thread.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21   #71
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbanglin View Post
We have and regularly use both. If we had to toss one the microwave would go first.
And the toaster oven is becoming more and more advanced,if you are going to buy another,visit here: toaster oven reviews

I don't have either right now. Toaster oven has smaller footprint. That would count for a lot in my galley. I have a "Nu Wave" oven which is stowed when not being used as its cooking bowl is round, but it bakes, stews, roasts, and cleans very easily. You can "cook from scratch. You can also cook in layers, meaning that you can cook several different foods at the same time. They come in two sizes and I would suggest that people take a look at them -- as well as the induction cooktops.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:37   #72
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

whichever you do not use on land should be first to go to dumpster or friends or wherever you place your stuff.

during haha most will anchor, as many places haha goes are anchorages, not marinas.
after haha most of the rally folks us marinas. there is electricity for a fee there. use what you like.

personally, i have neither nor desire either. same with stove top cooking things that emulate oven cooking.

i also do not use pressure cooker here in tropics--no need.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56   #73

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Had a microwave but gave it away oh how I miss it so.....

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43   #74

Boat: AMF Sunfish, Hobie One,(Holder 14) Rhodes Conntenetal 22 and Sea-Ray, Ski Ray 180.

I posted the below in another thread but thought it worth posting here as well,with some modifications.
negative reviews mention food taste rubbery

The only kitchen item that would or could cause such a problem is the microwave. Of course you can use any heat transfer device to overcook any food.
I have revamped my "kitchens" to include a table top convection oven and two counter top "Precision Induction Cooktops" The PIC can be adjusted to any temperature from 100* to 700* without heat. I know that sounds like an oxymoron but it is a fact. Tessler had this idea nearly 100 years ago and no one listened.
I use kitchens in a plural sense as I am referring to my home, camper and soon my boat. I can even safely cook inside my pup tent as there is no flame or hot electric element to cause a fire or fumes.
My take on a microwave is the size and weight, also it actually ruins your food (nutritionally speaking). As for a toaster you are actually dealing with an electrical "short". Nothing more than attaching a wire from the pos to neg posts to create heat. How ineffective is that and dangerous?
I suggest you visit"Nu-Wave" site and research the portable convection oven and induction cooktop. I believe these two items can replace ALL other methods of cooking on board boat or in a camper.
William A. Ward
puregeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 14:07   #75

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We have and use both. It depends on your space, power supply, and usage.

Tags
oven