Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2017, 11:18   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Jugs of ice in the freezer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
As a normal practice, I've always kept my chest freezer full of 1-gallon jugs of ice, removing just enough to make space for whatever I'm keeping.

I have a small freezer, something like 5 cubic feet. When I bought half a pig, last year, I removed almost all the ice. We've eaten the pig down considerably, and I'm in the process of replacing the ice jugs to fill up the space, which is why I'm thinking about it. (It's a process, because I only put in one jug of water at a time, I don't want to add too much heat.)

The reason for the ice jugs is to increase the thermal mass. The more mass being held at a low temperature, the more stable the system. This reduces the load on the compressor, cycling less often.

It also holds the temperatures low during power outages.

I was wondering if anyone does the same on their boats.

On the one hand, power systems on most boats are less reliable than the electrical grid. Having all that ice might save you a fair chunk of food.

On the other hand, from what I can see a galley freezer is used much more like a kitchen fridge/freezer, opened and closed multiple times per day, with contents being swapped in and out with some frequency.

So I'm at a loss as to whether it would be a good idea.
If you can get the ice jugs frozen elsewhere it would be great. Also provides a source of fresh water, if push comes to shove.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 11:27   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We carry 3.5cu' of meat in our freezer. We routinely ask grocery stores to freeze our order for us and pick it up the next day. Saves a lot of compressor run time. We have never been turned down by any grocery store.
Old 20-01-2017, 11:41   #18

Boat: Albin 25

Right now I only have a built-in pull-out aluminum ice box in the cockpit, where many have replaced this with a 12V bar-type fridge. I am contemplating my retirement getaway voyage during these winter months, and trying to plan necessary improvements while still earning an income. So far I have new electrical and a windlass. One of the items I need to decide upon, in addition to an auto-helm (can't afford) and a way to bring my tender along, is refrigeration. I read one suggestion that I want to think about: if I have t right, this guy used a dedicated freezer to freeze jugs of ice; then he would rotate the jugs into a well-insulated cooler with the perishables and then back into the freezer on rotation. An intriguing idea. Any thoughts?
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 12:08   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
We carry 3.5cu' of meat in our freezer. We routinely ask grocery stores to freeze our order for us and pick it up the next day. Saves a lot of compressor run time. We have never been turned down by any grocery store.
Similar thing for me but lucky here some stores sell dry ice.
Put it on top of foods and they are frozen by the time im back to the boat.
Put it all in the ice box helps keep things for a couple extra days.
Last time it cost me about a buck and a half for about 2 pounds of dry ice to do the job. ( helps to bring a small cooler to the store with me )
Old 20-01-2017, 12:21   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Similar thing for me but lucky here some stores sell dry ice.
Put it on top of foods and they are frozen by the time im back to the boat.
Put it all in the ice box helps keep things for a couple extra days.
Last time it cost me about a buck and a half for about 2 pounds of dry ice to do the job. ( helps to bring a small cooler to the store with me )
I put 10 pounds of dry ice in a Pelican 32 quart cooler a couple of summers back and threw chilled food on top of it and drove it 300 miles to a camp site in August lashed to the roof of a car. Not only were some items fully frozen by the time we unloaded, but there was still a chunk of dry ice left after three days. It was a good investment and yes, my beers were perfect.

I would certainly consider dry ice as a "helper" for a reefer in hot weather or with limited amphours to hand. A bonus is that CO2 would discourage aerobic decay, meaning if the fridge broke, leaving it undisturbed could buy you extra hours.

Note I haven't tested this theory, but it sort of makes sense!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 12:48   #21
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I completely filled my freezer two weeks ago. Once the food froze the system ran/cycled just the same as when the freezer was only 1/4 full.

It will be the same if you replace the food above with containers of water (but it will take a lot of energy to freeze them)
Old 20-01-2017, 13:21   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I DO IT!
But of course I have an icebox, no refrigeration.

I use gallon jugs (here in canada we call them 4litre jugs). I freeze them at home, then double wrap them and rush them to the boat. I fill the bottom of my icebox with them, then everything else goes on top. 6 jugs fit nicely. They keep the icebox cold for days. But 2 jugs will suffice for a day sail.

As you likely know, you need to pour some water out before freezing, to accommodate the water expanding.

If I visit a marina or yacht club with a fridge/freezer available in the clubhouse, I'll pop a few of my partly melted jugs into the freezer to top up my coldness.

When all the jugs are melted, after a few days, I'll buy a couple ice blocks and put them on top. Even the cold water remaining in the jugs is enough to keep food cold enough.

And on my boats, with no refrigeration, on the very hot days of summer, at anchor in the blazing sun, it is wonderful to pull out a really cold jug of water and share it around with my family. Yes, cold water is a big treat on a minimal sailboat.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:27   #23

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I put 10 pounds of dry ice in a Pelican 32 quart cooler a couple of summers back and threw chilled food on top of it and drove it 300 miles to a camp site in August lashed to the roof of a car. Not only were some items fully frozen by the time we unloaded, but there was still a chunk of dry ice left after three days. It was a good investment and yes, my beers were perfect.
I've tried dry ice, and it works very well. I double wrap it in brown butcher paper to avoid burning, and help it last longer. Seemed to work great. Each time I've always had some dry ice left over after the trip....usually around a week.

One problem...occasionally got a strong ammonia smell in the icebox. Ammonia is used in the manufacture of dry ice. Not a problem, but a bit of a surprise the first time I caught a strong wiff of the stuff.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:33   #24

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I think there are a lot of misdirected responses. The thermal mass makes a difference, in particular as to overall stability, if not so much as to other savings and benefits beyond reduced cycling. Since the size of the compartment is already pretty small, I would not expect a great deal of benefit from added insulation, except maybe for the last of the two beers that might still fit, and than benefit would be lost when the door were opened to get the next to last. If the space recovered, the last beer would be cold unless a shipmate got to it first. Sounds like the pig worked out well. Why mess with success?
Old 20-01-2017, 14:06   #25

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Tests have been done, full versus empty, all things being equal, there is no advantage, i used to put containers in, till i read the report, just like boiling water, i thought putting a lid on would do it faster, not so, never stop learning.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 14:21   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Tests have been done, full versus empty, all things being equal, there is no advantage, i used to put containers in, till i read the report, just like boiling water, i thought putting a lid on would do it faster, not so, never stop learning.
May not help boil faster but sure helps with steam in cabin
Old 20-01-2017, 14:58   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
It is an advantage. When you open the reefer/freezer the cold doesn't escape as air would.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 15:12   #28
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
While total energy usage will be the same (assuming the ice is not put in frozen, temperature recovery (from opening the fridge) is faster, compressor cycling is reduced (less wear?) and you can keep stuff cold longer if the compressor dies. All positive points.
As regard to water boiling faster with a lid on the pot .... it certainly does!!! Any 'report' written that indicates this is not true was written by a total moron!
It does not require a genius to prove that a pot on a stove looses less heat when it has a lid on it.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 15:14   #29
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
May not help boil faster but sure helps with steam in cabin
.... and steam takes energy to create and if that energy stays in the pot it gets to the boiling point faster!
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 15:19   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Do you have any reference for that assertion? Both theory and experience tell me that your statement is incorrect.

(Maybe someone was watching the covered pot and no one was watching the uncovered one, which would obviously have a much greater effect than the presence/absence of a lid. )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer