Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2012, 13:31   #1
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Jiggs Dinner

I'm hoping one of you Canadian Maritimers can share a recipe for Jiggs Dinner. I love the idea of cooking the pease pudding in the same pot with everything else. Gordon Ramsey says you have to oven-roast the corned beef but a one-pot dish sounds easier. Also, does one still have to pre-soak the kind of corned beef we find now in the U.S.? Any insider tips, eh?
Old 27-10-2012, 07:41   #2

Re: Jiggs Dinner

While you're looking at Canadian recipes, check out ployes - somewhat like buckwheat pancakes. Very easy to make (can be even mixed in a storm) and super simple to cook. And healthier too.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 11:52   #3

Re: Jiggs Dinner

It sounds just like corned beef, cooked with vegetables cabbage carrot potato onions, plus soaked dried peas cooked in a muslin bag.
The trick is to remove the salt either by soaking overnight, and or say 3 changes of water over an hour or two. I prefer to change the water after having brought it to the boil for a while as this gets rid of some of the fat.
I add some mustard, a bay leaf and some peppercorns might help.
You simmer it for a couple of hours depending on size and add the vegetables part way through as they need less cooking. it does seem to give a different flavour maybe as they get a bit of fat.
I don't know about the roasting idea. I doubt that it is a roasting meat. Maybe he just sealed it first. I have seen someone try to roast a pickled joint as it was called lamb? "ham" and the result could not be rescued.
There are also boil in the bag corned beef. I prefer also to get rid of all the gunk including the bag and after washing change the water twice.
There are plenty of recipes on Google, but I think this covers the basics of what is involved.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote