Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 15:19   #1

Boat: TBD
Jetboil

Would like to know if anyone has a Jetboil on board for cooking at all. Is it practical to consider it? I have an array of Jetboil stuff so was wondering about using it onboard when the time comes.
Fishigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 15:31   #2

Boat: csy 37
Re: Jetboil

Doesn't look very practical for a boat. Even at anchor, a big boat passes by and you get a big wake....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 17:30   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishigan View Post
Would like to know if anyone has a Jetboil on board for cooking at all. Is it practical to consider it? I have an array of Jetboil stuff so was wondering about using it onboard when the time comes.
I have thought the same, using a Jetboil on a boat.

The issue is the safety concern related to the stability of the tall and narrow based jetfoil.

The answer is a gimbal bracket to hold it.

For years sailors have used a "sea swing" gimbal bracket for primus stoves and similar. See the first photo I am attaching as an example.

If you google "boat stove gimbal" and look at the images, you will find many different examples, including some home made designs using a bucket.

But, there is a "custom" solution for the Jetboil and it can be ordered today. This is what I have on my wish list.

The Stable Stove a gimbal bracket mount for jetboil stove

Note: I have not used this device yet, and I have no connection to the seller. But, from what I can see on the illustrations and video, it appears to be perfect for the job I have in mind and is on my wish list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stove Gimbal Primus.jpg
Views:	3245
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	96244  
Attached Images

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 11:49   #4

Boat: TBD

Definitely something to consider. It boils water fast and with the coffee press kit it does a great job on coffee too.
Fishigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 17:47   #5

I used to do some pretty extensive cruising on a small West Wight Potter. I built a custom JetBoil holder into my bottom hatch board. It held it tight enough that it wouldn't tip over.

Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 16:15   #6

Some of The racers in the Singlehanded TransPac race have been using the jet boil, I'd guess gimbaling. The Force 10 gimbaled burners have become hard to find. Check on the SFBAYSSS.ORG SITE for the Forum.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BeaMewesed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 16:18   #7

msr reactor has a hanging kit that might work. better stove then jetboil.

do you want it for "cooking" neither will cook. only boil water.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 17:14   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I have a JetBoil.... and love it! BUT.... It is in my camping kit, and not on the boat
Old 15-03-2015, 17:28   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like the Jetboil stove. And I can see the appeal of using one if:

1. One already owns one and does not have a marine propane stove on a boat
2. One is going for short trips on boat (e.g. overnight) and does minimum cooking.
3. One wants just hot water for hot drinks or instant meals (no complex cooking or simmering required). For a racer this is possibly a good fit. For a single hander who likes to eat only "boil in a bag" type food, this is possibly a good fit.

But, there are other reasons why I do not see them as an "ideal" solution for a cruiser on a small boat:

1. It is a propane/butane type fuel and poses some risk inherent with that type of gas, because the gas canister is attached to the stove and in the cabin.
2. The fuel canisters take up space and should be recycled. A long cruise could use several or many of the canisters.
3. The fuel canisters may be difficult to find while cruising remote areas or abroad. They are specialty items.
4. The average Jetboil is great at fast high temperature heat, and very quick to boil water, but very difficult (on average) to simmer (low heat) and hence difficult to cook average foods (not just boiling water).

I think if a small boat does not have a "propane" stove (already in the boat with safe links/lines to the properly vented gas bottle), an alcohol stove of some type (but not pressurized alcohol) would be my choice.

At sea level, alcohol stoves can also boil water effectively, if a bit slower than propane, and can be used to cook and simmer more foods without the risk of a hot spot burning the food (a very common problem with high temp Jetboil type camping stoves that are difficult to "simmer" with a low flame).

That said, there are some risks with any kind of stove, including an alcohol stove. Alcohol is relatively safe, but it is important to make sure it does not spill while in use, as the flames are difficult to see and one can easily get burned or the flames may spread to other flammable items (potential disaster on a boat). For this reason typical low cost "homemade" (open aluminum cans) alcohol stoves (popular with backpackers) may not be safe on a moving boat, and should be secured.

Since I like to cook and I like to eat more variety than just "freeze dried" meals and oatmeal and hot drinks that only require hot water to fix, I would look beyond a Jetboil if I were planning on doing some cruising for more than a weekend.

NOTE: My comments above apply equally to the MSR stove and similar competitor stoves similar to the Jetboil.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil