Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2011, 15:57   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Jedi's Rye Bread

This recipe is for a 2 pound loaf. I make it in a Zojirushi bread maker.

Take the pan and empty 1 can of Guiness beer in it Now we're talking.

Add 3 cups of white bread flour (or all-purpose) and 1.5 cups of rye flour. I sometimes get my hands on some very course rye flour (for German pumpernickel and use 0.5 cup of that with 1 cup of regular rye).

Add: 1.5 Tbs olive oil, 3 Tbs sugar, 2 tsp (course) salt, 1 tsp caraway seeds, 1 tsp instant coffe, 1 tsp cocoa (real, not sweetened or fantasy) and 1.5 tsp instant yeast (keep yeast clear of salt).

Use whole-wheat program.

Best with salami, aged cheese, fried eggs, peanut butter etc.

ciao! Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 16:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Best with salami, aged cheese, fried eggs, peanut butter etc.

ciao! Nick.
Man.... thats a 'Club Sandwich' and a half.... Sheeeesh

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 18:23   #3

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Oh that is good....I can tell without making it . I will hopefully soon
Old 15-02-2011, 18:55   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
a question about waterline, et cetera

First of all, thank you to sv/Jedi for posting this recipe, as per my request on another thread.

So I've been shopping ever since you've posted this, and have decided to order the 1-lb Zojirushi bread maker since my waterline is only, roughly, 60% of yours. (And, more to the point, since I'm going to have to eat 96% of the bread I make because Wonderblond really doesn't get the theory behind bread.)

So, my question, and this question will betray my inexperience with all things Zojirushi, is whether I should cut everything in your recipe in half. Do I begin with half a can of Guinness, and go halfsies all the way down to the teaspoon-sized ingredients?

Thanks!
Old 15-02-2011, 19:04   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
So, my question, and this question will betray my inexperience with all things Zojirushi, is whether I should cut everything in your recipe in half. Do I begin with half a can of Guinness, and go halfsies all the way down to the teaspoon-sized ingredients?
Correcto, half of everything (shame you have to drain half a Guiness in the sink...) I see that I should have written to put the olive oil in before the flour but it'll work anyway (liquids first etc.)

I'll post another one :-)
cheers,
Nick.
Old 15-02-2011, 22:38   #6

Location: On the Gorge waterway in the heart of Victoria, British Columbia.
Boat: Explorer 44 by Stan Huntingford. Building in progress.
I have to try this. My guiness can is a 440 ml size. I get the feeling this is too big so should I be looking for the 355 ml size can?

Cheers
BB
Bruce Bevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 03:45   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Bevan View Post
I have to try this. My guiness can is a 440 ml size. I get the feeling this is too big so should I be looking for the 355 ml size can?
yes, for a 2 lb loaf I use a 355 ml can. But your 440 ml is better: use a measuring cup for the 355 ml and drink the rest

cheers,
Nick.
Old 16-02-2011, 07:52   #8
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
This is terrific. Love it and thank you for sharing. You might also try adding a tablespoon of freshly grated orange zest sometimes instead of the caraway.
Old 16-02-2011, 08:12   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
This is terrific. Love it and thank you for sharing. You might also try adding a tablespoon of freshly grated orange zest sometimes instead of the caraway.
Thanks, glad you like it :-) orange zest: good idea, will try that! I am baking a new one right now and testing it with some fine corn flour added.

I finally found some decent whole wheat flour here in Panama and will start experimenting with that soon. The local whole wheat isn't too good (everybody eats white bread here so must find imported flour which is only available sometimes :-)

cheers,
Nick.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:53   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Jedi's Rye Bread

I was searching yesterday for some info on how to disconnect a B&G wind sensor and came across this bread recipe I just had to try (yes, there was a connection between the two LOL).

My Greek version was made using Mythos beer . I have no breadmaker on board, but it came out perfectly kneading by hand. I proved the yeast with a teaspoon of sugar and a quarter of a cup of warm water first, as summer's heat can kill yeast easily here, and checking beforehand that it is active saves disappointment later. I left it to rise with the help of a hot water bottle .

Thanks for sharing Jedi. Fantastic recipe! Any other good bread recipes developed over the last couple of years since you posted this? Or does anyone else have a favourite one to share?

This morning's loaf of rye using Jedi's fail-proof recipe needed nothing else other than being dipped into extra virgin olive oil to enjoy it while warm:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	56464  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:49   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I was searching yesterday for some info on how to disconnect a B&G wind sensor and came across this bread recipe I just had to try (yes, there was a connection between the two LOL).

My Greek version was made using Mythos beer . I have no breadmaker on board, but it came out perfectly kneading by hand. I proved the yeast with a teaspoon of sugar and a quarter of a cup of warm water first, as summer's heat can kill yeast easily here, and checking beforehand that it is active saves disappointment later. I left it to rise with the help of a hot water bottle .

Thanks for sharing Jedi. Fantastic recipe! Any other good bread recipes developed over the last couple of years since you posted this? Or does anyone else have a favourite one to share?

This morning's loaf of rye using Jedi's fail-proof recipe needed nothing else other than being dipped into extra virgin olive oil to enjoy it while warm:
Thanks for the praise, now that's how to bake bread! Let other's eat that Bimbo bread or whatever they call it.. I don't even want to call that bread

Yes I have another recipe for the white-bread version of this, like you can get in Italy. Let me hunt it down because I think I posted it elsewhere
Old 08-03-2013, 09:07   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Jedi's Rye Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Thanks for the praise, now that's how to bake bread! Let other's eat that Bimbo bread or whatever they call it.. I don't even want to call that bread

Yes I have another recipe for the white-bread version of this, like you can get in Italy. Let me hunt it down because I think I posted it elsewhere
Is that the bread you served with that excellent Spanish curado cheese when we visited you last year..
Did end up buying a round of it in Panama City... even at $145 it was well worth it and lasted all the way to Vanuatu...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:14   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Is that the bread you served with that excellent Spanish curado cheese when we visited you last year..
Did end up buying a round of it in Panama City... even at $145 it was well worth it and lasted all the way to Vanuatu...
It goes perfectly with cheese .

I have just come back from a long day ashore and melted some Cretan graviera on a few slices to have with a glass of red before dinner. It is a match made in heaven .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:49   #14

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Damn, you aren't helping my bread-free diet one bit! That looks amazing, and while I don't eat white bread, I still love any bready item that is heavy and savoury and built like a brick...

Which is my taste in beer and boats, too, unsurprisingly. By my standards, Guinness itself is practically "Bud Light", and "Bud Light" is bat piss.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:53   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I would think that bread, some olive oil, unlimited thin shavings of Manchego, a few walnuts and a nice crisp and sectioned pear would, along with the requisite bottle of vintage Port, make about the finest shipboard dessert for four one could easily devise.

Now I'm hungry for all those things, and I only have walnuts in the house.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote