Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2011, 15:15   #16

Boat: Bombay PH 31
Spent nine months in county lockup for operating under the influence. came with a nice added bonus of rekless endangerment.
lost a fortyone foot peter morgon fish boat over the deal.
So,
No i dont
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 15:24   #17

Boat: Bristol 32
I never mess with drugs on board. worried about the coast guard ripping my boat apart looking for evidence. When im in port, sometimes ill smoke a j if i find someone with a little.

as far as alcohol, never when sailing, but anchor or at the dock its great. I think they made boxed wine purley for cruisers. the real question is favorite brand of boxed wine??
Maineiac_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 15:31   #18

Boat: Tartan 30
I had to quit doing drugs so I could save up for the boat

Sundowners in the cockpit? I'll be right over!
Old 18-01-2011, 16:07   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
Spent nine months in county lockup for operating under the influence. came with a nice added bonus of rekless endangerment.
lost a fortyone foot peter morgon fish boat over the deal.
So,
No i dont
were you operatingyour boat?
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 16:11   #20
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Everyone using drugs on your boat; speak up!

Before we start learning too much about each other, I was kidding.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 17:45   #21

Boat: In my dreams
I'm not a drinker myself. Booze makes me more nauseas than a pregnant nun. But I don't think I would want to run my boat intoxicated (if I had one) for the simple fact the darn things cost so much.
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 04:58   #22

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Just like on land some people do or don’t like to drink. Personally, as I don’t like to drink alcohol before sunset the notion of a sundowner sits well with me. Regardless, anything cold could do the job and I would not be embarrassed optioning out for something non-alcoholic. I really have to agree that constantly feeling the need to have one too many alcoholic drinks could become addictive. Like any drug this eventually detracts from an otherwise pleasurable experience.

Likewise, my personal morning ritual is a cup of tea. I really can’t understand why anyone sailing would feel the need to get out of bed in the morning and crack a beer. For me this is a real sign of impending alcoholism. Nonetheless, I do have a thing for the odd good bottle of red at night at anchor to a good book, some soothing music and the motion of the sea.

Oh, and beware – drinking at or before heading to sea can really aggravate many people’s seasickness. Some of those who swear by a beer while sailing have probably already killed enough brain cells that it doesn’t affect them anymore. Not the kind of people I would be happy to leave at the tiller of my boat.
Old 19-01-2011, 05:06   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Oh, and beware – drinking at or before heading to sea can really aggravate many people’s seasickness. Some of those who swear by a beer while sailing have probably already killed enough brain cells that it doesn’t affect them anymore. Not the kind of people I would be happy to leave at the tiller of my boat.
Gsues hatts em uot of uyor cerw lsit cobba... ciH....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 05:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Gsues hatts em uot of uyor cerw lsit cobba... ciH....
Agreeably one of the reasons I have no problems sailing solo. I should also admit I have spent a lot of time around poor souls with extreme alcohol and drug issues. Back in my twenties seeing what these things had done to others turned me into a near teetotaler. At least I was super fit and am still going hard when many of my friends and associates are no longer with us.

Then part of the reason I have moved onto the boat is that I am over my neighbours getting up the piss, hitting the ice and acting like out of control morons. Invariably trying to have a beer and a sensible conversation with these idiots turns into a blood bath. The only positive thing is they sleep most of the next day so I can get an uncrowned morning surf while the offshore is still blowing.

I am also not looking forward to Australia Day, which has turned into nothing but am excuse for rampant public adolescent drunkenness and associated anti-social behaviour.

Now as far as catching up for a few sundowners I really hope we can meet some day and enjoy a few beers to a perfect sunset!

Old 19-01-2011, 06:36   #25

Boat: In my dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
I am also not looking forward to Australia Day, which has turned into nothing but am excuse for rampant public adolescent drunkenness and associated anti-social behavior.
LOL in America that's called New Year's Eve, St. Patrick's Day, Labor Day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, and Thanksgiving and Christmas for many!
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 06:39   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexam View Post
LOL in America that's called New Year's Eve, St. Patrick's Day, Labor Day, 4th of July, Memorial Day, and Thanksgiving and Christmas for many!
ROFL..... in the UK its called 'Friday Night Saturday Morning....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 07:36   #27

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur 33
Hey There, tried to knock off the drink once. Stayed off for 6 months. Everybody I knew turned into idiots. Started again, I'm better now. Just couldn't fit in with society.
alanvdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 08:10   #28

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Sailing is no different from other recreational endeavors like duck hunting or curling.

Some people focus on the game, while others use artificial stimulants to get their rocks off...
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 15:03   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexam View Post

It is not so much the drugs or alcohol but the antisocial behaviour. As above this is why I have a real thing against ice. It just turns the kids around me into agro monsters. Just get inadvertently into an altercation with an idiot on the stuff or have neighbours on the crap and you will know what I mean. No wonder the average police officers around here are kitted out heavier than the old SWAT teams.

At least back in the old days before people started genetically modifying dope the only thing it did was eventually turn people into delusional hippies. The stuff was even somewhat useful as a seasickness remedy. Lots of places I reckon it would still be a bit of a ritual to pass around a spliff of “bush” at a sundowner? Regardless, nowadays like most other things it has been modified so most of the stuff is that full of THC and chemicals that it is no better than the imitation ecstasy pills desperate dealers make out of anything at hand.

Gotta say though if you love good wine Australia isn’t a bad place to be at the moment. Due the rising exchange rate a lot of wineries are dumping high quality “cleanskin” bottles on the market at absolute bargain prices. Go on line and you can get the good stuff even cheaper. Good thing I find about grabbing a cleanshin is that once the bottle is done I usually have no more booze on the boat or house. This leaves me happily inebriated without drinking to excess. Even if I have a cartoon I have to think and even put a bit of effort into cracking another bottle. Usually I refrain.
Old 19-01-2011, 15:19   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
WORK THE CURSE OF THE DRINKING CLASSES
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote