Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2011, 10:13   #151
cruiser

does it mattrer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
"As to the Seven Deadly Sins, I deplore Pride, Wrath, Lust, Envy and Greed. Gluttony and Sloth I pretty much plan my day around."
--if i chooseb not to use violence to get it done does it matter? yes im a sinner so b it,,i can think of 20o deadly sins i transgressed cant you? cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 10:40   #152

the booze can't flow until the anchor is down...
hmsindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 11:24   #153

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
I drink for clarity.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 11:29   #154

clare who?
hmsindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 11:30   #155

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
No states I know of have open container laws for boats. Most (all?) have the .08 BAC max level or you will be charged with BUI/DUI.

Guests on board can have a good time, but someone's gotta be the DD.

Frank
It is a law in AL.,NO OPEN CONTAINERS.PERIOD.If they see it,it has to be visible.
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 11:42   #156
cruiser

sorry, if we can extract your belief that drunks or excessive drinking is innappropriate, then what is?make believe peopple, issues, events... the only thing we can joke about is unreal???

all jokes have a sense of reality in them, that is what makes them funny... andi am sure there isnt a sole alive that would think that drinking humor is in some way going to contribute to more drinking and or more accdients...

And if i were to think about the ends justifying the means, then all the years of UN PC jokes that were made of over the generations contributed to the ability to recognize and change things in our society... and not visa versa in that they jokes desensitized us...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 11:49   #157

Inland waterways? No drinking.
Coastal within 100 miles of a metro? No Drinking
Coastal 100+ miles from a metro? Drink in moderation
On Passage more than a day from either port? You're an adult - Monitor yourself.
On passage 5 days or more? Wear a harness and attach a Tequila IV drip - the party is on.

In the final analysis, I think the rule is: Are you capable of acting responsibly or not? As a general rule, I don't even casually entertain a drinking environment where folks can't control themselves. Land or sea is pretty irrelevant to that equation.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 12:41   #158
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I also like humour or leg pulling. Read my comment on "dogs on the Arc"and "living off the hook" threads.A drunk however is not funny, nor should excessive drinking be glorified.
Clyde
Springbok… I think I am the one first guilty of turning this thread into a Bartender’s Guide, but anyone who has ever had the responsibility of taking their loved ones and guests to sea … knows that it was meant… tongue in cheek!

I actually drink very little as I am basically a control freak and need to always be in control (of myself and the situation on the water).

Anyone who takes this banter as a guideline to cruising practices is… as the OP admitted… naive.

Blaming leg amputations on alcohol makes as much sense as laying the blame of a shooting… on the gun.

Racing mentality and the drinking mindset of weekend amateurs is responsible and they are not what this Forum is all about.

Your comments are not a valid description of anyone serious about the sport or lifestyle.

We are just having some fun about the odd time we let our hair down and I believe that ....those with drinking problems take them along, wherever they go and that direction is usually downhill.

Cheers!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 19:27   #159

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
usually at anchor , one comes to folks with similar idealogies. wanting to get away from the idiota in marinas. that includes snitches, severe patriots, and other such critters. if ye dont like the new neighbors, MOVE. cannot do that in mooring field or marinas.

Unless after a bottle of absinthe you turn into a character from the Wizard Of Oz, you are going to find that houses are even harder to move when the neighbours piss you off. It is so great now that I can drop an anchor in a unoccupied bay and sit back and enjoy that bottle of red in peace.
Old 26-01-2011, 19:45   #160

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
On passage 5 days or more? Wear a harness and attach a Tequila IV drip - the party is on.
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 01:59   #161

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/a...es_622180a.swf
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 08:29   #162
cruiser

too funny....
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 08:39   #163

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
In the final analysis, I think the rule is: Are you capable of acting responsibly or not? As a general rule, I don't even casually entertain a drinking environment where folks can't control themselves. Land or sea is pretty irrelevant to that equation.
Good answer. It's rare for me even to pop a tin underway, because a) I want there to be NO QUESTION about my sobriety should I run a canoe down...oops...and b) I don't want to feel like I need to take a slash when I'm concentrating on docking in a cross-wind.

By the way, yours is not the only "sober-positive" comment I've heard from an Aussie. I think the rep your country has as a nation of boozers is probably overstated. I never saw a drunk in Ireland, but I've sure seen plenty in Scotland, Canada, the U.S., England and France. And yet Ireland is supposed to be full of alcoholics.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12   #164

Boat: searching
Re: Intoxicated

One of my little pleasures here at CF is to watch a thread drift and drift and drift, till it is on the rocks.

On the rocks! pour me a double!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25   #165

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Intoxicated

An interesting chart:Alcohol: Drink up | The Economist

Aussies drink only slightly more than Americans. Can't say the same for the Irish, however.

Colin
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote