Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2020, 04:30   #421

Boat: Beneteau 523, 2005
Re: Induction vs Gas Cooking

I just made the conversion from gas cooker & microwave to two burner induction and convection/microwave oven when I needed to upgrade my battery bank. The ambient heat in the salon is a big change! We can easily sit in the salon in an 80 deg day with the induction in use which we could not do comfortably with the gas cooker. Also, the control of the induction unit is in power and temperature so cooking can really dial in for eggs vs. boiling water, etc.

I put 6 x 100ah LI batteries and charge them with a wind gen, 350 watts of solar panels and a Balmar alternator. The system keeps up very well in the summer from normal wind and solar gain. I bought a 12volt water maker and although this works off the battery bank, eventually it taxes the battery bank to the point I need to run the gen set. After spending the last 10 days on the water with cooking 80% of the time on board, I ran the generator for a total of 6 hours.

I also eliminated the gas pipe runs inside the boat and sealed where the old tubing to the kitchen ran. I kept the gas grill location on the stern and so I can still grill but I imagine that the two gas bottles will now last a very long time.

I am happy with the conversion and appreciate the lack of heat in the kitchen and noise from running the generator (due to the solar/wind systems).
Karimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 05:32   #422
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Yup, we love ours and would never go back to Gas inside
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 14:15   #423

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Just wanted to say this was a great thread and thanks those who participated. This reminded me to do a leak down test on my propane system. Keep up the good work team.
Old 18-09-2020, 05:16   #424

And another thing you should bear in mind: the induction cooker does not heat up or only marginally, as it generates the heat in the bottom of the pot, while the heating coil "glows" and the heat has to be transported first... I always had an induction plate, on half power it always worked…forget about full steam 2kW. I actually prefer petroleum, and if that does not work then I just go for gas. Pots slide back and forth as well on the glass ceramic field. In addition, it boils over much more frequently and quickly – at least that is what happens to me. Furthermore, the timing on those small steps is super annoying, and it keeps burning my food. :-)
shanter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking