Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 17:51   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Induction cooktop and pan comparison

Canning is something overlooked by so many. Today I canned eleven half-pint mason jars with piccalilly. That’s a bunch of vegetables shelf stable and great on grilled steak, with curries or even on sandwiches. We also take all soups and stews with us... all home canned, although for those we use a pressure canner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8FE7FBD-49C8-4296-81B4-F288BE558732.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	201520   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6707F95-4AE0-47CB-BC65-08884E234131.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	201521  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 17:54   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Canning is something overlooked by so many. Today I canned eleven half-pint mason jars with piccalilly. That’s a bunch of vegetables shelf stable and great on grilled steak, with curries or even on sandwiches. We also take all soups and stews with us... all home canned, although for those we use a pressure canner
I have always wanted to can! That looks amazing! I have never heard of piccalilly
Jenny33356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 18:04   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny33356 View Post
I have always wanted to can! That looks amazing! I have never heard of piccalilly
Don’t use the American recipes, this is an English dish. Here is one that is okay: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9414/piccalilli/
But we make a real roux from butter and flour, then add spiced vinegar to create a sauce, then add the mustard powder, turmeric and black pepper to finish it. Spiced vinegar is simply vinegar boiled with pickling spices, then filtered.

Vegetables are the most difficult item to provision long term so we’re trying everything
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 07:18   #49

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Agreed. I recently canned ten pints and two quarts of homemade pasta sauce. Our 16 qt pressure canner is our big stock pot and gets hauled to beaches for low country boil and steaming crabs. Well worth the space. Our smaller 5 l pressure cooker fits inside! *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 00:00   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthetrees View Post

Ikea Tillreda: This is the one we selected for our gimballed setup. Good price, major brand, so easy to replace with like unit if necessary without having to rebuild our gimble setup when a fly by night brand disappears.
As a Sweede very familiar with Ikea I know this is not true. Ikea is great but one of the drawbacks is that they keep replacing their products with other products. If you buy one product and consider to add another of the same model later you might end up having that product removed and replaced by another or just removed.

Just last month one of two Ikea reading lamps broke in our bedrom. Ended up having to replace both lamps since they had discontinued the old model even if it was just 3 years old.

Don't expect that you can get the same that will work with your fittings later.
jonase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 01:08   #51

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

@jonase: absolute true. Solution is to buy one or even two as spare, they are very cheap.
Mine will be just on top of the gas stove which I keep as backup. If all break inkl. the backups and new model doesn't fit that separat approx 70cmx50cm piece of countertop is so old that replacing it would make sense anyhow.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 07:24   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny33356 View Post
Canning, which is a really bad name since we are really "jarring," is pretty simple. Use the link on the previous page, https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/p...ions_usda.html, which has instructions and recipes for canning/jaring as well as other food preservation techniques.

If you live in the US, many states have an Extension office at the state and county level that has information on food preservation and have classes. It really is not rocket science, if one can follow a recipe then one can can/jar food.

A good pressure cooker, which can be used as a water bath, and a few "tools" such as these, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this, https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-by-...FHWC2KMWXQMTJ0 is all the equipment you need.

Just get wide mouth jars since they are easier to get food into when preserving. The old small mouth jars make it easier to make a mess.

Last night I opened a jar of chili I made in 2014. It was really good.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 18:04   #53

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Ok so that's the amel 60 at the boat show in Cannes. Really really slick solution that I am trying to get onto an amel 50.

It's really well done.
Miele looks like the manufacturer
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote