Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2019, 07:52   #61
cruiser

Re: Induction Cooking -- Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
TL;DR: learning to eat old fashioned with supper routinely being a light meal, maybe even going back to routinely eating soup for the evening meal, may reduce wear and tear on both the boat's energy system and the energy system of the boat's occupants.

Historically in seemingly all cultures the evening meal was soup, largely remnants of the noon meal (the noon meal historically being called dinner in the US until ~75 years ago).

Eating a feast at night used to be limited to special events (wedding, death, etc) unless you were a king or something.

From a health standpoint it makes no sense to routinely eat a large meal in the evening time; this practice is arguably a modern invention of over-commercialization and/or simply living in an era of surplus.

Eating a large meal in the evening time does at least two things:
1) typically being heavy on the fats/oils, the meal stays longer in the upper GI tract, invariably contributing to reflux symptoms (including pulmonary reactivity to those so afflicted) once the person lays down to sleep
2) ensures that the person has absorbable calories 24/7 in the alimentary canal somewhere such that energy stores in the liver are rarely tapped, thus likely (from a logical standpoint) contributing to insulin resistance/fatty liver type issues while generally inhibiting ketogenic weight loss.

It's true that the batteries can be sized to cook large evening meals, but simply not cooking large meals in the evening makes more sense.
Who are you, the food police? Fruits and nuts.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 07:55   #62
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
thanks for your experience, Ken. Always interesting and helpful.

PS - do you still have two boats?
Many thanks.

Yes, two boats.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 11:59   #63
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post

Eating a large meal in the evening time does at least two things:
1) typically being heavy on the fats/oils, the meal stays longer in the upper GI tract, invariably contributing to reflux symptoms (including pulmonary reactivity to those so afflicted) once the person lays down to sleep
2) ensures that the person has absorbable calories 24/7 in the alimentary canal somewhere such that energy stores in the liver are rarely tapped, thus likely (from a logical standpoint) contributing to insulin resistance/fatty liver type issues while generally inhibiting ketogenic weight loss.

It's true that the batteries can be sized to cook large evening meals, but simply not cooking large meals in the evening makes more sense.
Great post Singularity and probably worth its own thread. Something Like:
"Eating Habits on Board"

Since living onboard we have changed to a different rhythm that works well in the Tropics.
Wake up 5am
Finish a light breakfast by 6
Do outside chores
Fruit @ 9
Lunch at 11 which is the main cooked meal
Clean up and relax until 3pm
More chores
Light meal at 6-7pm as you suggested
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 13:54   #64

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Oh, please, this forum is meant to be about boats and their issues.

If people want to write about their dietary habits, no doubt bowel movements will follow next, can they please spare the rest of us?
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 14:19   #65

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Alita, do other people’s idea that are divergent to yours mean they are without value? Is this forum only meant for one train of thought? Or is there true value in listening to other people’s points of view and perhaps opening up a seed that will grow forth to a better understanding of health andr life?

As I’ve grown older I have found that my health got better by eating light in the evening. What Singularity said is backed up by nutritionists and physicians around the world. Eat as u want. But try not to censor the truth.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 15:08   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Who are you, the food police? Fruits and nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Alita, do other people’s idea that are divergent to yours mean they are without value? Is this forum only meant for one train of thought? Or is there true value in listening to other people’s points of view and perhaps opening up a seed that will grow forth to a better understanding of health andr life?

As I’ve grown older I have found that my health got better by eating light in the evening. What Singularity said is backed up by nutritionists and physicians around the world. Eat as u want. But try not to censor the truth.
I did not say that you were right or wrong. Actually, I am utterly indifferent. Good luck to you about what you are happiest with.

The point that I was trying to make was that I read this site, and I suspect others do as well, to learn about boats. If you want to write about diet then I am sure there is some site called "Lunch is best" or "Diet for geriatrics". Or even "Singularity". What ever that may be. I really do not want to know.

If I were to write about what I think about Donald Trump as the President of the US, or what I think about Brexit, other than by indirect allusion, I am sure that someone would rightly point out that this is not the right place.
Old 24-02-2019, 15:13   #67

BTW, if you were to write about what worked best for seasickness that would be of interest.

Some swear by ginger biscuits. I reckon Matzos are the best and that has nothing to do with religion. At least a debate about that would be of some relevance.
Old 24-02-2019, 15:22   #68
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post
Oh, please, this forum is meant to be about boats and their issues.

If people want to write about their dietary habits, no doubt bowel movements will follow next, can they please spare the rest of us?
Hi Alita. this forum is about ideas relating to boats and their occupants.
Singularity made a good point about harmonizing your big meal during active cycles for health reasons.
I reinforced that idea to coincide with optimum Solar production starting around 11am
I also sugested it was worth a new thread.
No need to be testy or insulting
Have a good day[emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 00:22   #69

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Hi folks, cool down, a new thread about cooking and provisioning with recipes and schedules when to eat may be interesting for some cruisers, but they would not expect it in a technical thread about feasibility of induction cooking on board, so it is a loose / loose situation to post it here for all, the ones interested in the thread matter are distracted, and the others interested in diets would not have a chance to find this treasures and discuss them.

A forum is a structured discussion by topics, so everybody can pre-select the topic he or she is interested in when reading, without the need to read every single post everywhere.

So let's get back to the induction matter and discuss diets in a new topic on cruising lifestyle and nutrition, or something similar, the topic covers then any type of cooking, not just by induction.
Old 25-02-2019, 01:29   #70

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

To me one of the best things of this forum are its thread drifts. That's where I've learned the most. As far as induction cookers go the best time to use it is when your solar panels are putting out Peak. learning that also might be healthier is interesting to me so thank you. Edit: for us folks who don't have or want a generator and have excess solar during sunny days.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 11:10   #71

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So how much power do these induction units use in practice. Say a 30 min cooking session with a pot and a frying pan. I assume a 2,000 watt unit would maybe run at 50% duty cycle??? 2,000w x .5 ÷ 12.5v x .5 hr = 40amp hrs. Is this close to actual use?

I don’t know about the built in models but counter-top models are 1300&1800w
I’m going to guess 700w @ 100% duty would be a normal setting for most things.

Worst case is 10min for bacon and another 10 for pancakes or French toast. So 20min for breakfast.

So 700w x .33hr / 12v = 19a-hr.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 14:47   #72

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I don’t know about the built in models but counter-top models are 1300&1800w
I’m going to guess 700w @ 100% duty would be a normal setting for most things.

Worst case is 10min for bacon and another 10 for pancakes or French toast. So 20min for breakfast.

So 700w x .33hr / 12v = 19a-hr.
Sounds like a reasonable guess. Is that healthy turkey bacon or ??
20ah for a small meal is more than I'd want to give up. An LPG tank just lasts so long.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 14:52   #73

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

That’s how long it takes to make breakfast for 4 in my household. I do most of the cooking so the times are how long it takes me not the admiral.

I’m going to get a small one, I’ll let everyone know how much power it really takes in several months.
Old 25-02-2019, 14:53   #74

Real bacon like the Admiral insists on.
Old 25-02-2019, 14:57   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Induction Cooking -- Tips?

I carry four 10 lb propane tanks, each one lasts a month, maybe a little longer.
So I need to refill propane 3 times a yr.
A tank cost depending on where you are about $10 to $15 to have refilled.

I just don’t see the need to “fix” that.
I think it funny that people who live in fancy homes want real expensive Commercial gas stoves in their houses to show off and go on and on about how gas cooking is so much better, you know instant heat adjustment etc.
“ I just don’t know how anybody can cook a good meal on an electric stove”
Meanwhile some in boats want to cook with electricity
1050’s an all electric home was the “Modern” thing to have.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking