Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2019, 17:11   #136

Re: Induction Cooking -- Tips?

FYI:

"Boils water faster
If you’re used to wasting your time waiting for a pasta pot to boil, induction eliminates that inconvenience. Water boils about twice as fast on an induction cooktop. Once you add the linguine, if it normally takes 10 minutes to achieve the perfect al dente texture, it will still take 10 minutes to cook the pasta with induction."

https://www.reviewed.com/ovens/featu...cooking-faster
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 18:02   #137

Given all the recent discussion surrounding safety of electrical vs. gas(propane) I was pondering the risk of fire from electrical vs. the risk of explosion or death from breathing leaking gas. While less likely to occur, an explosion is much more instantaneous than a fire so harder to deal with once it occurs. I then started wondering how to deal with the more common occurence (by comparison) of a fire which made me wonder about installing something like the BlazeCut Automatic Fire Suppression System. Anybody have experience with this sort of fire prevention system and its applicability?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019ZZMXAA/

cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 18:33   #138
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi cj88,
I think your greatest defense against fire on board is to increase your comfort level by improving your situation in 3 Areas.

1 Best Alarm system you can find and install for smoke, heat and gas.

2 Take an advanced firefighting course to better understand the dangers /solutions to different fire types and specifically your hull materials.

Learn how to position your boat to minimize the fire spreading and how to multifunction pressure water systems you already have on board to help put out fires.

3. Create escape plans /position fire blankets and most importantly drill yourself and crew regularly to test for weaknesses.

Our crew drilled twice monthly on multi emergency scenarious.(bi-weekly on long ocean passages, weather permitting)

Every crew member was given the chance to design the most difficult Medical/Fire/MOB and mechanical failure scenario they could come up with....
...... If they succeeded in stumping the crew and boat after post drill review, we all covered their dock watches for a month when on standby.

Make it fun, make it challenging!

Once you have put out a roaring fire all by yourself at the firefighting course, you will learn to respect fire by being proactive in safety awareness, rather than be afraid of it.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 03:22   #139

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I guess my dislike for propane is a result of twice witnessing gas explosions and deaths on other boats at anchor.

I understand the impact on you of your experience. It doesn't matter. Neither does my experience with boat fires either nominal or catastrophic. Our experience is simply not statistically significant.

Quote:
For me, it was the stuff of nightmares, whereas electrical resistance and load is constantly mesureable and each item is monitored and breakered independently for load abnormalities

"Measurable" does not mean "measured." If my pushback on the word "safer" leads to more concern and attention to high current draw sustained loads my karma will be increased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
"Boils water faster"

The article you cited is a comparison with conventional resistive electric cooking. The only benefit of induction with respect to gas cooking is the greater heat transfer (thermal transfer efficiency) of induction. To really get heat on the target properly sized gas burners do better at the cost of more residual heat (warmer boat interiors in our application).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
I then started wondering how to deal with the more common occurence (by comparison) of a fire which made me wonder about installing something like the BlazeCut Automatic Fire Suppression System. Anybody have experience with this sort of fire prevention system and its applicability?

FE-36 extinguishing agent is good stuff. It's non-toxic and avoids the environmental impact of previous standards. When I can't keep my engine room Halon system going anymore the replacement will probably be based on that.

Note that in flooding applications displacement of oxygen is more deadly than toxicity.

My preference would be for a system that includes it's own alarm when triggered. Separate heat and smoke detection has great value but I want to know if the fire suppression system has triggered (false positive) or leaked down.

Quote:
I think your greatest defense against fire on board is to increase your comfort level by improving your situation in 3 Areas.

I agree with your fire response and fighting thoughts.

They are not a replacement for the maintenance of electrical systems (in this context). That means regular checks of all high current systems: disassemble, inspect, clean, assemble, torque connections. Regular checks, more frequent, of temperature and of voltage drop under load. Regular checks, less frequent of high power systems (this is the high voltage side in the case of induction).
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 05:52   #140

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj88 View Post
Given all the recent discussion surrounding safety of electrical vs. gas(propane) I was pondering the risk of fire from electrical vs. the risk of explosion or death from breathing leaking gas. While less likely to occur, an explosion is much more instantaneous than a fire so harder to deal with once it occurs. I then started wondering how to deal with the more common occurence (by comparison) of a fire which made me wonder about installing something like the BlazeCut Automatic Fire Suppression System. Anybody have experience with this sort of fire prevention system and its applicability?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019ZZMXAA/

Would this be effective in a diesel engine room with the engine running? Seems the engine wou,d just suck it all in.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking