Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2024, 05:19   #181
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,344
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I disagree, certainly for any boat with less than 48v DC system.

Two reasons:

1. It is worth the small conversion loss for the greater efficiency -- and safety -- of transmitting a couple kW (or more) some distance at 230v. Even at 24v DC you are dealing with up to 100 amps or even more, you don't even want to think about it at 12v.
What I had in mind was using local storage near the hob (or integrated in the hob). Induction hobs with integrated batteries do exist, and they exist specifically to solve the problem that they need more power than may be available, but only for a short time.

In fact I stumbled upon this:

https://www.newrcompany.com/

Looks like a start for what could be a great solution for on board a boat.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 17:16   #182
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 849
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Other thought, what happens if it goes poof* With a 12 or 24v induction hob you can nip into town on a Sunday morning and probably buy a replacement. Your crew are not going to be pleased when you say you have ordered a 48v version via Ali X and it should arrive in country next month. We carry a spare inverter, a spare double hob and single hob even on a 12v boat.
This thread discussing 24/48 induction cooktops is the first I've heard of it. But to your statement above "With a 12 or 24v induction hob you can nip into town..." I think you meant to say 120v or 240v, correct? These simple table top units cost like $69. You can buy them on Amazon, Carrefour, etc. At that price you don't need spare parts, just buy 3.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 11:19   #183
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 18,595
Images: 22
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
This thread discussing 24/48 induction cooktops is the first I've heard of it. But to your statement above "With a 12 or 24v induction hob you can nip into town..." I think you meant to say 120v or 240v, correct? These simple table top units cost like $69. You can buy them on Amazon, Carrefour, etc. At that price you don't need spare parts, just buy 3.
Good spot, you are correct.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 11:36   #184
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: San Francisco
Boat: Morgan 382
Posts: 3,128
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
What I had in mind was using local storage near the hob (or integrated in the hob). Induction hobs with integrated batteries do exist, and they exist specifically to solve the problem that they need more power than may be available, but only for a short time.

In fact I stumbled upon this:

https://www.newrcompany.com/

Looks like a start for what could be a great solution for on board a boat.
$1500 is a hell of a lot of $$$ for a single portable hob. But wouldn't it be nice to be cooking for guests on the cockpit table? Not $1500 nice, but nice.

I have a $99 nuwave. It cooks better than either gas or conventional electric cooktops. It works fine off my 1500W inverter (I usually leave it on the 900W setting, which boils water as fast as propane) which maxes out at 75A DC, but quickly drops down to about half that as it comes to temperature.

It has replaced the built-in cooktop at home except when I need more than one hob., as it works so much better. I still have the propane stove on the boat and do the same. 90% of the time it is just the induction hob. If I need 2 hobs, then the second is from propane.
__________________
-Warren
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2024, 00:00   #185
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 18,595
Images: 22
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
$1500 is a hell of a lot of $$$ for a single portable hob. But wouldn't it be nice to be cooking for guests on the cockpit table? Not $1500 nice, but nice.
My thoughts too. We need an annual de-clutter because it is surprising how fast stuff appears on board that actually just isn't needed.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2024, 04:54   #186
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Lifeaboard
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Posts: 3,301
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
My thoughts too. We need an annual de-clutter because it is surprising how fast stuff appears on board that actually just isn't needed.
Thats true...and the more space you have the more clutter is on board....
But easy 230V household stuff sorts a lot as i don't need to carry spare for that, you can get it nearly everywhere.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2024, 05:57   #187
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,344
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
$1500 is a hell of a lot of $$$ for a single portable hob. But wouldn't it be nice to be cooking for guests on the cockpit table? Not $1500 nice, but nice.
1KWh of batteries, and an inverter will easily set you back 2000,- as well. The idea is that you would have a drop in that you can just hook up to the existing 12/24V supply, without needing anything else.

Moving the battery in to the consumer does that. And there is also a company doing something similar with winches.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2024, 06:11   #188
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Lifeaboard
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Posts: 3,301
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
1KWh of batteries, and an inverter will easily set you back 2000,- as well. The idea is that you would have a drop in that you can just hook up to the existing 12/24V supply, without needing anything else.

Moving the battery in to the consumer does that. And there is also a company doing something similar with winches.
Not really...
A 100AH lifepo4 (which is 1.2kw) can be bought for 250Euro, a 1500W HF inverter good quality for another 250Euro (you can get cheaper). And that can be used for all purposes, not just for cooking
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 15:21   #189
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2024
Posts: 3
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

this is actually interesting
earling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking, enc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Induction Cooking and AC on DC kmacdonald General Sailing Forum 285 01-05-2022 12:00
Induction Cooking -- Tips? Dockhead Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink 139 21-09-2019 05:52

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.