Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2024, 05:19   #181

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I disagree, certainly for any boat with less than 48v DC system.

Two reasons:

1. It is worth the small conversion loss for the greater efficiency -- and safety -- of transmitting a couple kW (or more) some distance at 230v. Even at 24v DC you are dealing with up to 100 amps or even more, you don't even want to think about it at 12v.
What I had in mind was using local storage near the hob (or integrated in the hob). Induction hobs with integrated batteries do exist, and they exist specifically to solve the problem that they need more power than may be available, but only for a short time.

In fact I stumbled upon this:

https://www.newrcompany.com/

Looks like a start for what could be a great solution for on board a boat.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 17:16   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Other thought, what happens if it goes poof* With a 12 or 24v induction hob you can nip into town on a Sunday morning and probably buy a replacement. Your crew are not going to be pleased when you say you have ordered a 48v version via Ali X and it should arrive in country next month. We carry a spare inverter, a spare double hob and single hob even on a 12v boat.
This thread discussing 24/48 induction cooktops is the first I've heard of it. But to your statement above "With a 12 or 24v induction hob you can nip into town..." I think you meant to say 120v or 240v, correct? These simple table top units cost like $69. You can buy them on Amazon, Carrefour, etc. At that price you don't need spare parts, just buy 3.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 11:19   #183

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
This thread discussing 24/48 induction cooktops is the first I've heard of it. But to your statement above "With a 12 or 24v induction hob you can nip into town..." I think you meant to say 120v or 240v, correct? These simple table top units cost like $69. You can buy them on Amazon, Carrefour, etc. At that price you don't need spare parts, just buy 3.
Good spot, you are correct.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 11:36   #184

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
What I had in mind was using local storage near the hob (or integrated in the hob). Induction hobs with integrated batteries do exist, and they exist specifically to solve the problem that they need more power than may be available, but only for a short time.

In fact I stumbled upon this:

https://www.newrcompany.com/

Looks like a start for what could be a great solution for on board a boat.
$1500 is a hell of a lot of $$$ for a single portable hob. But wouldn't it be nice to be cooking for guests on the cockpit table? Not $1500 nice, but nice.

I have a $99 nuwave. It cooks better than either gas or conventional electric cooktops. It works fine off my 1500W inverter (I usually leave it on the 900W setting, which boils water as fast as propane) which maxes out at 75A DC, but quickly drops down to about half that as it comes to temperature.

It has replaced the built-in cooktop at home except when I need more than one hob., as it works so much better. I still have the propane stove on the boat and do the same. 90% of the time it is just the induction hob. If I need 2 hobs, then the second is from propane.
Old 29-06-2024, 00:00   #185

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
$1500 is a hell of a lot of $$$ for a single portable hob. But wouldn't it be nice to be cooking for guests on the cockpit table? Not $1500 nice, but nice.
My thoughts too. We need an annual de-clutter because it is surprising how fast stuff appears on board that actually just isn't needed.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2024, 04:54   #186

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
My thoughts too. We need an annual de-clutter because it is surprising how fast stuff appears on board that actually just isn't needed.
Thats true...and the more space you have the more clutter is on board....
But easy 230V household stuff sorts a lot as i don't need to carry spare for that, you can get it nearly everywhere.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2024, 05:57   #187

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
1KWh of batteries, and an inverter will easily set you back 2000,- as well. The idea is that you would have a drop in that you can just hook up to the existing 12/24V supply, without needing anything else.

Moving the battery in to the consumer does that. And there is also a company doing something similar with winches.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2024, 06:11   #188

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
1KWh of batteries, and an inverter will easily set you back 2000,- as well. The idea is that you would have a drop in that you can just hook up to the existing 12/24V supply, without needing anything else.

Moving the battery in to the consumer does that. And there is also a company doing something similar with winches.
Not really...
A 100AH lifepo4 (which is 1.2kw) can be bought for 250Euro, a 1500W HF inverter good quality for another 250Euro (you can get cheaper). And that can be used for all purposes, not just for cooking
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 15:21   #189
cruiser

this is actually interesting
earling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, enc