Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 11:36   #16

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30
Re: If you don't drink the water?

Try the seychelle.com filters. They are made from coconut husk carbon and get just about everything out 99.999 percent. I read once that you could pee in the bottle and get water out. Never tested it , voids the warranty and 25 bucks. I used one for a few years never had a problem with. I did use it to filter pond water, not scummy pond but regular pond. it worked for that.
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:37   #17

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

What is it that worries you about municipal water filtered by britta?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:41   #18

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37

Chlorine, flourine, pharmaceutical waste, chemical run-off, primarily. Those contaminants are confirmed by many mainstream sources; this isn't tinfoil hat stuff.
thompsonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44   #19

Not to mention lead, arsenic, radon, and what-all-else.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:51   #20

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Where do you get your water when you are at home?
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:53   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
What is it that worries you about municipal water filtered by britta?
Well, if your talking to me, you didn't research the two chemicals I listed.

Those active charcoal filters are only good for a certain amount of water, then they must be changed (even more often than listed depending on the contamination). They also must be in an air tight container before use. If your filters come in a container that is not hermetically sealed, they are a joke.

Go figure......

One other thing I didn't mention, both Atrazine and Semazine are absorbed through the skin. Not only is drinking it dangerous, bathing in it is as well.

So......I've been around these chemicals a lot, but you can believe who you want. Your health, not mine.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:56   #22

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"

A piece of sterling in each tank and a cup of cheap gin keeps bacteria dead and water tasting good. Been doing it for the past twenty years with no problems.
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:57   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I think simple household RO will get rid of virtually all of that. That's what I use at home. On the boat, Seagull filter. As far as I'm concerned, that's plenty good enough. Our design life is only 90 years or so, after all. We are ALL going to die; I don't actually think that one part per billion of some plasticizer or another is really our biggest
our biggest problem in life.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:08   #24

I have a well and a filtration tank.

Lfespan is an interesting thing. There are microcultures in which a large percentge of those reaching adulthood live well beyond 100. We possess the gene to synthesize vitamin C, but for some reason it is switched off. Goats make tons of vit. C, so they are terrible lab animals because they can self-repair quite fast. Guinea pigs can't make vit. C, or at least not much, so they make good...guinea pigs.

Any one factor might not be the thing that kills us, sure. I don't know what's causing the incredible uptick in certain types of diseases and health complaints; there are lots of theories and none of them fit all the bills. But I can study a problem, let's say, for example, the abnormal up- and down-regulation of certain genes when exposed to aluminum at certain developmental stages and conclude that I would like to minimize my or my family's exposure, no?

We're all here because we are drawn to sailing, right. And certainly, from an evolutionary standpoint, we don't appear to be made to live at sea. Thus, we manufacture an elaborate armature to allow us to do so. Heck, we hven't even evolved to live outside the tropics without considerable protection, but we do it, and with great success. I use the tools I've got to evaluate the available information, and I have drawn the conclusion that there is a significant risk to my baseline health from contaminated water, and there is a significant risk of encountering contaminated water.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:10   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

talk about being paranoid
Old 01-11-2012, 12:17   #26

Anyone who drives slower than you is a granny, anyone who drives faster is a maniac
Old 01-11-2012, 12:23   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonisland View Post
I have a well and a filtration tank.

Lfespan is an interesting thing. There are microcultures in which a large percentge of those reaching adulthood live well beyond 100. We possess the gene to synthesize vitamin C, but for some reason it is switched off. Goats make tons of vit. C, so they are terrible lab animals because they can self-repair quite fast. Guinea pigs can't make vit. C, or at least not much, so they make good...guinea pigs.

Any one factor might not be the thing that kills us, sure. I don't know what's causing the incredible uptick in certain types of diseases and health complaints; there are lots of theories and none of them fit all the bills. But I can study a problem, let's say, for example, the abnormal up- and down-regulation of certain genes when exposed to aluminum at certain developmental stages and conclude that I would like to minimize my or my family's exposure, no?

We're all here because we are drawn to sailing, right. And certainly, from an evolutionary standpoint, we don't appear to be made to live at sea. Thus, we manufacture an elaborate armature to allow us to do so. Heck, we hven't even evolved to live outside the tropics without considerable protection, but we do it, and with great success. I use the tools I've got to evaluate the available information, and I have drawn the conclusion that there is a significant risk to my baseline health from contaminated water, and there is a significant risk of encountering contaminated water.
Average lifespan has not gone down. On the contrary. So the water must not be all that bad.

What was it that Gen. Jack D. Ripper said about "precious bodily fluids"?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:30   #28

Thanks for the suggestions about water treatment, to those who offered it.

Do these guys sound paranoid?: Chlorination, chlorination by-products, a... [Am J Public Health. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI

Is it possible to research a topic and draw a conclusion outside of the mainstream without being accused of paranoia?
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

While being aware is a good thing I suspect you might be a bit paranoid. Anyone who has sailed for any length of time will tell you that you'll be exposed to plenty of nasty things. Fueling your boat will at the least expose you to fumes. Fuel spillage on your hands or the rags you use to wipe up small fuel spills will out weigh your water concerns. Changing your engines oil filters will undoubtedly expose you to cancer causing agents. What will you do when you have to work on your engine and you end up covered in grease up to your elbows? Marine paint fumes. Wood varnishes, engine exhaust fumes. Fiberglass resin, fiberglass cloth. Marine head spills and repairs. Don't forget the sun and the tons of different types of skin cancer that causes. I'm sure there are plenty folks here that can point out a few more caustic exposures while sailing.
Are you really sure you want to go sailing?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:33   #30

For Pete's sake you guys, you are acting like I'm standing on a soapbox proclaimjng the end to be near I just asked a question about how to improve health and safety on my boat, I didn't come to debate the safety of drinking water! Why does everyone get all bunched up? Drink what you're comfortable drinking, and feel good.

Tags
water