Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2007, 11:20   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Just remember that plants grown hydroponicly do not have the same balance of minerals and vitamins that you will get from plants grown in soil. Although, eating hydroponic greens is still better than eating no greens. Just ensure you get good vegies when you make land again.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2007, 13:59   #17
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
hi salva111,
i also grow sprouts, and would love to start a kombucha again, if you have any plan how to get a new "mother"....
but i am really curious on how you grow your wheat grass????/i do grow it on land, and know about the space required,
any advice welcome.Sitar
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 01:17   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Kombucha Exchange
Kombucha Exchange Worldwide

Kombucha Cultures:
Where Can I Get A Kombucha Cultre

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 18:52   #19
Xen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Just remember that plants grown hydroponicly do not have the same balance of minerals and vitamins that you will get from plants grown in soil. Although, eating hydroponic greens is still better than eating no greens. Just ensure you get good vegies when you make land again.
Where did you get that info? Hydro plants get a nonstop supply of food and nitrates all the yummy stuff plants thrive on. Which is why they grow so fast and produce so much food. Been growing hydro for awhile now everyone that eats my veggies loves them.I think maybe if you don't feed them and just supply water only this may happen somewhat. The plant is programed to have certain attributes and if it has less of those it will be smaller or die.Unless its a GMO then its just straight out poison. Maybe you are just use to seeing plants in the dirt,so it seems that they are not as health as hydroponic plants. Which is the exact opposite,hydroponic provides a pest free enviroment for the plant,since most bugs root down in the dirt.Whats better then hydro is aquaponics where there is fish involved and the fish waste is moved to plant side and cleaned by plant then recycled.good stuff.like a mini ecosystem.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 16:05   #20

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
This reminds me of that movie bio dome. I really think the best idea is to garden on land near running water. That being said I have a single basil plant on deck.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 17:36   #21

Boat: a sailing boat
Full size plants not. But we grew sprouts (spelling?) - and they taste great, grow great and are believed to be as good source of elements as veggies and fruit.

I will eat a steak but never miss it at sea. I would love to be able to carry/store enough green stuff to last a full crossing (or, why not, grow own onboard).

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 17:39   #22

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Wheels,
You obviously aren't a cat owner. I'm talking about the four legged
ones. They love to munch grass, I think it helps them barf up fur balls.
Wait...your cat eats weed? How cool is that! Maybe it's just medicinal...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 18:13   #23

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I have heard tell that Vice Admiral Collingwood, 1748-1810, used to maintain something of a garden in the great cabin of his flagship while at sea during the Napoleonic Wars. Whether he used hydroponic techniques or not, I do not know, but Sir Francis Bacon wrote of experiments in soilless gardening as far back as 1627. There is really no difference in the quality of the plants as a source of food between those grown in soil and those grown in water in which the essential nutrients have been introduced artificially. For a plant growing in soil, water dissolves the mineral nutrients and in absorbing the water, the plant's roots absorb the nutrients. Plants will thrive equally well without soil if the required mineral nutrients are present in suspension; as experiments by Woodward demonstrated in 1699 (and subsequently confirmed and expanded upon by Sachs and Knoop in Germany in the 1860s).
Old 15-06-2010, 19:13   #24

I think the multiple generators running non-stop, very bright "cabin" lights, and smell might raise the suspicion of neighbours.
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 22:15   #25

Sailing the Farm:

Amazon.com: Sailing the Farm: A Survival Guide to Homesteading on the Ocean (9780898150513): Ken Neumeyer: Books

This book is dated......late 70s or early 80s, I think.......a bit impractical, maybe, but I love it. Includes stuff like how to trail pantyhose to catch enough plankton to eat! Pretty out there, but some good stuff too, such as sprouting. I've done sprouting in Mason jars...easy...can't say I love sprouts, but if nothing else available......
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 17:05   #26

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
hmm..with just a couple of containers it'd be easy to keep greens coming..leaf lettuce is the easiest..I don't think my wife would let me grow zucchini on a boat though. in the warm waters tomatoes and peppers in miniature cultivars will produce perennially..tobasco plants spring to mind..
zopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 17:28   #27

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
You may want to read some of Reid Stowe's blog entries. He ate sprouts for over three years while on his 1152 day voyage. He had live plants on board, but they were in soil and did not do well.
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 09:35   #28

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
What stopped me from hydroponics was the electricity requirements. Basil, oregano, parsley do well and are easy. Tomatoes are more difficult. My plant thrived, without any fruit until I planted another plant (both cherry tomatoes). In the tropics, you need to be able to water them every day. Add fertilizer once or twice a week, and they can do well, even when root bound. My really good tomato plant blew overboard in a storm. Also, there are messy, and need to be protected from salt spray. It is a good idea to buy seeds locally, but they (and potting soil) are hard to find in the Caribbean.
I just bought a hanging device for tomatoes, and can't wait to try it.
Pasta salad with fresh tomatoes and basil is great at a cruisers potluck.
Sprouts are simple, and it is amazing what flavors you get from the different seeds, but some seeds are not consistent at sprouting. Don't use seeds packaged for planting.
Unfortunately, it will all need to be dumped overboard before arriving in New Zealand and Australia.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote