Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 07:35   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: How to Make Perfect Coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I go through around 200gms of Instant and 1 kilo of sugar a week.. I'm an addict..
However I do like to have a cup of the real thing twice a day.. once after breakfast and again after lunch.
I flash the beans by tossing in a small pan over a flame.. just enough to raise the smell and get them to start gently perspiring, toss in the grinder then transfer to a pot popular in Spain, Portugal and Italian kitchens to brew it.. comes out just great..
Would drink more but it gets my stomach to acidy.. hence don't/can't drink the 'real thing' at sea..
LOL.. Roasting is a one or two stage process involving over 600 oils. Taking the beans to the first water expansion (crack) will release the first batch of oils, and taking it a few degrees higher to the second stage, (a darker berry), will release the remaining oils plus give flavour to the actual 'shell'...

What you do is just tickle the inside with some heat, stir up the acidity and have a shy berry that has not given up its taste yet.

Also... There is a period after roasting to the first or second crack, where the berrys need time to degas. That is why the bags on the beans have a one way valve to let the gas out of the bag after being packed. Making coffee too soon, ie same day as roasting, does not allow for the settling of the flavour. Usually between 2-3 days.

Each to their own. Coffee is a versatile drink and many millions drink it in different ways.

To cut down on acidity, a lot of coffee is roasted with sugar. This gives that beautiful glazed look, does not ADD a sweeter taste but does make the coffee less bitter in the after bite... here is torrefacto Colombian at 12% sugar added in the cook. Its at second crack, what they call city roast. The taste is full bodied and smooth when made in drip or Press.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:48   #92

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Not a total coffee snob, but I notice a big difference in Melitta filters, the bamboo, to me, gives the coffee a better taste than the paper ones. The one thing I'll drink from Starbucks is their instant coffee. Comes in little tubes. If you are forced at gunpoint to drink instant, these may keep you alive.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:50   #93

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
er... Im a Brit and dont like Tea much..
Maybe you should try it without the milk.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:53   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Not a total coffee snob, but I notice a big difference in Melitta filters, the bamboo, to me, gives the coffee a better taste than the paper ones. The one thing I'll drink from Starbucks is their instant coffee. Comes in little tubes. If you are forced at gunpoint to drink instant, these may keep you alive.
Heres a strange thing. Most of the top end drip coffee machine manufacturers do not recommend anything but paper filters. The reason being that a lot of unwanted oils are held in the fibres when the water is going through.

The other strange thing is that they DONT recommend the brown non bleached papers... it gives a taste. I use regular bleached filters and run hot water through it prior to adding the coffee.

In the making process, I allow the water to pool in the filter with the coffee and stir it for 10 seconds, and then start again..
Old 07-02-2017, 07:54   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Maybe you should try it without the milk.
I like the water and the milk...it gets ruined when the tea is added..

Old 07-02-2017, 08:00   #96

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Glad that you retained one of the good things you learned in Fla.:-)
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:01   #97

Quote:
Lets narrow it down.

Espresso or filter?

We can start from there..
In Finland the key question is filter or coffeepot? Favourite brands are sold both as ground for filtering (finer) or ground for coffeepot use (coarse). The coffeepot people seem to believe stronger in their coffee making tradition. Filter people are classified more as people who want to get their coffee quickly and easily.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:13   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Its all down to the water and the extraction method. Even poor quality berries will taste OK if extracted properly.

If you like filtered coffee and you like the coffee smooth and full of richness, then in my experience there is only one brew method that is able to fulfil this, over and above a good French Press... These can be bought for $50 or less.

Weavis, what is this? I like STRONG coffee, I drink it for the caffeine.
However my Wife doesn't like bitter and I have been thinking about trying cold brewing for her.
First what is this? What is a way to not get bitter, or get the least bitter in coffee?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:17   #99

Since Paulig is maybe the #1 coffee company in Finland, and Finland is the number one coffee consumer per inhabitant in the world, maybe there's some wisdom in their pages. That wisdom may apply more to the traditional Finnish styles like using a coffee pot or filtering, and not necessarily so much to strange foreign ideas like the Italian espresso .

https://www.paulig.fi/en/get-inspire...eparing-coffee
Old 07-02-2017, 11:00   #100

Boat: Little Harbor 38

Years ago there was a coffee thread here where someone suggested Frieling stainless steel double walled French press. Perfect for the yacht or for home. Excellent with fresh Jamaican beans.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:11   #101
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to Make Perfect Coffee?

Quote:
LOL.. Roasting is a one or two stage process involving over 600 oils. Taking the beans to the first water expansion (crack) will release the first batch of oils, and taking it a few degrees higher to the second stage, (a darker berry), will release the remaining oils plus give flavour to the actual 'shell'...

What you do is just tickle the inside with some heat, stir up the acidity and have a shy berry that has not given up its taste yet.

Also... There is a period after roasting to the first or second crack, where the berrys need time to degas. That is why the bags on the beans have a one way valve to let the gas out of the bag after being packed. Making coffee too soon, ie same day as roasting, does not allow for the settling of the flavour. Usually between 2-3 days.

Each to their own. Coffee is a versatile drink and many millions drink it in different ways.

To cut down on acidity, a lot of coffee is roasted with sugar. This gives that beautiful glazed look, does not ADD a sweeter taste but does make the coffee less bitter in the after bite... here is torrefacto Colombian at 12% sugar added in the cook. Its at second crack, what they call city roast. The taste is full bodied and smooth when made in drip or Press.

Its the bagged beans I'm talking about.. just prefer grinding them warm.. and I prefer Arabica.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:07   #102

Boat: longing for a trimaran

My mom was an avid coffee drinker and I grew up drinking coffee from an early age. Little did I know about all the intricacies of her methodology, until I grew up and was hooked into the "activity". Following is how my mom made her coffee.
1. Her beans were grown from farms they owned in Batangas, Philippines. They are called "barako" beans and come from the Coffea liberica variety, instead of what is now more available, the Coffea arabica.
2. They were delivered to our home as green beans in sacks, fresh of the harvest.
3. Once a week, she would have our cook roast some beans. This was a wonderful ritual done on a Chinese wok over wood fire, where the beans were stirred continuously. The aroma told her when to stop.
4. After cooking, they were ground -- coarse, on a meat grinder. As young teenagers, still developing physically, I remember my brother and I would take turns grinding to show of our strength.
5. Coffee was brewed on a kettle, where my mom would first boil sugared water. This would raise the temperature of the water beyond typical boiling temps.
6. Once the boil was furious, she would pour in a cup of fresh grounds, and immediately kill the heat.
7. When the grounds settled, the coffee was skimmed of the top with a ladle and served.
It was delicious. I still have barako coffee when I visit the Philippines.
Today, despite owning a lot of coffee toys and trying numerous varieties, nothing beats this memory.
Thank you all for allowing me to share.
tatomaceda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 14:38   #103
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
I guess i rediscovered the reason that I dont get into discussions regarding making coffee...
:
Lol Weavis, a doctor who can make the perfect cup of coffee.

Must be hard to beat the girls away!

Seriously, I have really appreciated your tips , but now I'm reluctant to ask what you think of those who add Cream to their Coffee?[emoji1]
Only when in Singapore?

https://youtu.be/vnrp6o966pA
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 19:49   #104

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Weavis, what is this? I like STRONG coffee, I drink it for the caffeine.
However my Wife doesn't like bitter and I have been thinking about trying cold brewing for her.
First what is this? What is a way to not get bitter, or get the least bitter in coffee?
I've always heard them referred to as Vacuum Pots. We had one when we lived in Indonesia. Unfortunately it didn't survive kids, but I think we'll get another one when we get home. I certainly can't imagine one on a monohull or probably even on a cat!

Here's a YouTube video showing one in use.

Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 21:10   #105

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

well there is always the cowboy way. Boil water, dump in grounds, let sit five minutes. Top with egg shells or cold water to settle grounds. drink.
Some of the best coffee was made that way. But then I was camping and everything seems to taste better camping. and I don't mind chewing a few grinds.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote