Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2017, 08:58   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: How to Make Perfect Coffee?

Fresh roast, burr grind it medium-coarse and drip at a high enough temperature should do it. I can replicate this aboard with a French press if I take the kettle off the heat before it whistles...YMMV depending on the kettle. You want the water at about 190-192 F, I find.

Pour into press, let stand four minutes, press and drink. Again, FRESHLY ROASTED. Those oils from the roasting are key and they go rancid after a week or so.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:00   #17

Boat: C & C Landfall 35

Try 8 O'clock Bold Italian Roast and a French press. Produces wonderful aroma and strong, flavorful taste with out bitterness. Coffee should steep for several minutes before pouring.
Sunday Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:01   #18

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

One of my clients in the time was manufacturer of coffee machines for restaurants. Once I told him that for my palate a reputable coffee brand (Illy café) is the best.

He told me that the named brand is so far ok, but a good barista choose the coffee he will sell by tasting the coffee on the machine using different to find out which coffee give best results with the water he has on hand and with the selected machine.

So it may be that you have better results with bottled water as when cruising the dockside water is changing all the time, even when in the EU it will be best drinking water by law.
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:03   #19

Boat: Lagoon 42

Sorry if this is a duplicate....

One good option is a stove top espresso machine, they come in many sizes, are easy to use, and my Italian friends swear by them!

Ex: https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-6-Cu...0001SJH2I?th=1

In making coffee it's all about water exposure to the grounds, too much and it's bitter, which is the case for french press. (Apologies to french press lovers)

-Harmon
FloatPlaneFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:05   #20

Boat: KP 46

I have found and am addicted to Nespresso.

Simple, make a cup in a minute or less, coffee is consistently good. ( I like the strong ones, Dharkan, Kazaar, Ristretto, and Roma.)

And the milk frother is simple, pour in the milk and 30 seconds later you have perfectly frothed milk. (I use UHT 2%).

It makes espresso or cafe ameracano..

I sound like a Nespresso comercial here but it truly is (to me) the best, simple no pots to clean, no kettle to heat, no filters.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:15   #21

Boat: 35' Sport Cruiser

Glad to see your post and know that I'm not the only one who considers this a worthwhile subject.

Since I have been drinking coffee black for many years, I too am very particular about the taste of my coffee. It's frustrated me for years to be served that 'perfect cup' when dining out without being able to duplicate it myself.

One thing that I haven't tried is the suggestion of using freshly roasted beans. otherwise, I've tried different filters, different waters, and different methods of brewing. I think that using a filter brewer vs a French press depends on the bean. Beans with more acidity benefit from being filtered, whereas some of the lower acidity beans make a fine cup in a French press.

I definitely advise always starting with the purest water available, and always cold. But common sense says that the bean should make the difference between good and great if you are using proven methods to brew, so I'll be trying to find some really freshly roasted beans now. The search continues...
mchlsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:16   #22

Boat: Nauticat 32

This is what many purists use in Finland.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sa009218.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	140257  
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:17   #23

Boat: 35' Sport Cruiser

BTW, I agree that the Nespresso is a very good alternative when brewing just one or two cups, and it's hard to beat the convenience. I've come to depend on it.
mchlsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:18   #24

Too Many Details to Post but for a few;

*Use a French press
*Heat water to 210(small bubbles), 212(boiling) burns the coffee
*Steep for a few minutes then press
*Drink within 20 minutes as coffee will lose it's caffeine after that
*Fresh roasted Beans are a must 1-30 days old (max)
*Grind beans just before pressing to retain freshness
*NEVER freeze beans they lose all their oils

As for the perfect bean that's like asking which is the perfect wine!
Try Jamaican Mountain Blue! Hard to get and expensive but will be the best you ever tasted!

Enjoy!

Captd
Captdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:18   #25

Boat: outremer

+1 on the Japanese burr hand-grinder and the Aeropress.. though my arm gets tired of it every morning.

On temps, the World Aeropress Championship winning recipes consistently call for about 175 F or 79C for dark roasts, and 185 F or 85 C for lighter roasts.

Winning Recipe — W.A.C.

I don't know anything about roasting, but in my search for good beans I'm often disappointed by a company's product that was outstanding previously but with subsequent purchases being underwhelming if not outright bad. I guess you have to take full control over the process to really know what's going on..
svrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:22   #26

Boat: Alaskan 49

I have similar problem as Dockhead except I am French, not really, I was born in Montreal.
Since moving back on board, the morning coffee has never been the same.
At home I used to have a cheap Saeco expresso machine and it did give me a great coffee, (I was very happy). I was using a coffee blend from a coffee shop in town here in Victoria, BC. The Roaster or whatever its called told me to wait 3 to 4 days after the roasting to use it and to use fresh clean coolish water.
I didn't know the water temperature of my machine. The water was filtrated through our home watermaker, it might have help who knows. The beans were and are still being grinded in the same Breville machine (not ceramic).
And I use a stainless steel French press. I dont have a watermaker onboard, only a 2 filter process. The blend I used to buy does not give me the same pleasure with this french press. And the Saeco is too big for the boat. (I gave it to my daughter)
I am drinking my second cup this morning looking at the view from our pilot house, I am blessed really, and a great cup of coffee would be .....
Michel
Laksmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:33   #27

Boat: Grampian 26

You totally lost me after the word "Nespresso".
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:34   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

When I first saw this thread I couldn't help but think of the scene in The Bucket List where Jack Nicholson's character finds out the truth about his favorite coffee near the movie's end. Quite funny.

As to water for coffee, what came to me when first posting here, was that on many a boat, one has the benefit of really, really pure water. Courtesy of one's water maker, assuming only a short run of plumbing from it to the tap. Since a water tank, & the plumbing to & from it would add variable levels of "contamination". As would standing in any sort of container for X amount of imprecise time.

And if it's not obvious, a professional (coffee) outlet has the benefit of a large amount of hardware to control every step along the way of making coffee. As well as the opportunity to try/test out (on many customers, over time) various recipes, to see what folks like best. Much as is done with any/every other "dish" they serve. Particularly if they make it all day, every day.

Given that, when you find a truly phenominal cup when out & about, it would be worth asking them for their brewing formula, & recipe(s). Especially since great coffee, even if only a post meal Expresso, will keep folks coming back. This, even if the food is only above average. Think of the coffee as being the equivalent of superior, liquid customer service. It pays!!!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:36   #29
cruiser

This works for me. Just nuke some water, add Splenda and a little Coffee mate... then you'll have a coffee that'll most likely beat your designer roast hands down in a blind taste test.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0895.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	140258  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 09:46   #30

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

When I lived on the East Coast I used to get my coffee at Aldo's. He roasts the beans once a week and we would line up on that day. To anyone on Long Island I can recommend this. I assume his website would be Aldo's.com - the company is Aldo's Coffee Company in Greenport, NY

Now living in the Pacific Northwest (coffee country) I am lost. The coffee is very acidic and so strong it feels like a contest I'm bound to lose.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the takeaway from this thread is that I should study roasting - and I will. Now for the beans - recommendations for a medium body, low acid brew? I like Illy's for special cups, but I drink a LOT of coffee and it can get spendy.

Good thread.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote