Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2019, 11:48   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: How to keep green algae from forming in the fresh water tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
Oh, I did not know there was a carbon filtering attachment/addaptor? One can use to fill up? I will check it do you have a brand referance and does it slow down the water flow from the marina dock hose?

Most household filter sumps with decent filter elements will work. We just add harden hose adapters at each end.

We get ours from filtersfast.com and use two filters in line when filling our tanks:
- first is a Pentek DGD-2501 dual gradient element (25 micron/1 micron)
- second is a Pentek FloPlus10 .5 micron carbon block element
Both in standard filter housings.

Our home marina is on a well water system, partially hence the extra filtering. But we can also tell when we're hooked up to some other marina's "city" dock water -- we still use the 2501 filter -- since it usually then has more odor that our own dual-filtered water. We don't use both filters when hooked up to dock water because the carbon block reduces flow too much, whereas the 2501 by itself doesn't do that.

-Chris
Old 22-08-2019, 14:39   #17

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

I use hydrogen peroxide, the concentrated type 40%, no smell, no harm to plumbing or human
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 14:48   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

kryg:

If your tanks are aluminium, do not use chlorine bleach, as it will chemically react with the aluminium, causing pitting. First, clean the tanks, and I'd replace the hoses, too. That will remove algae. If your tanks are plastic, the bleach will work fine, but iirc, your boat is ally.

Our friend in Noumea with an alloy boat with integral tanks, uses two pre-filters when filling his tanks, to remove the chlorine, sediment and whatever else is in his city water. I believe they are just large household charcoal filters, not marine anything. We always used household filters on our first "Ïnsatiable" to remove the chlorine from our drinking water.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 22-08-2019, 15:25   #19

Boat: Farr 1020

A warning to others who have stainless steel tanks - avoid using bleach! It will result in corrosion of welds quite easily.
Best option is to use some copper, it is a natural biocides and will treat the water. I have made a manifold of copper and am fitting copper runs from galley forward to heads. Could drop some copper bits in the tanks as well. It is the copper that will degrade to the stainless in an electrolytic situation so the main tankage remains intact, although it will still take many years for any degradation to occur.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 18:18   #20

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Light and Green Algae Growth -
Thank you I guess there is some truth to light promoting algae growth. However my water tanks are totaly buildin with a full fit-out, no light can penetrate my two plastic tanks. I'm guessing if light did reach my water tanks then the algae growth would be more sever, what I have is green slime growing in darkness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bean View Post
Green algae need light to grow. Opaque tanks and piping may help reduce growth.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 18:23   #21

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Thanks Ann,

I understand the risk with alumiuim. also there are other health risks using aluminum fresh water tanks for consumption.

My two tanks are from plastimo 100 lter plastic tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
kryg:

If your tanks are aluminium, do not use chlorine bleach, as it will chemically react with the aluminium, causing pitting. First, clean the tanks, and I'd replace the hoses, too. That will remove algae. If your tanks are plastic, the bleach will work fine, but iirc, your boat is ally.

Our friend in Noumea with an alloy boat with integral tanks, uses two pre-filters when filling his tanks, to remove the chlorine, sediment and whatever else is in his city water. I believe they are just large household charcoal filters, not marine anything. We always used household filters on our first "Ïnsatiable" to remove the chlorine from our drinking water.

Good luck with it.

Ann
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, tanks, water