Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2018, 11:30   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How Much Cash Do You Take Abroad

I started the thread how long do you provision for, and along a similar note, how much Cash in US or other currency do you take with you as a just in case?
When we flew to the Bahamas years ago I used to carry considerable cash as often you couldn’t buy fuel any other way, and sometimes the ATM’s were inop for many different reasons, plus if you paid cash, sometimes you could get some decent discounts.
We are headed towards the Western Caribbean starting in Mexico and headed South.
How much should we take aboard, and along another line of reasoning, how do you hide, or secure it?
I’m thinking take a months of the budget, and to secure it in some kind of lockbox that can be decently hidden, but due to its size, not really hidden well.
I understand the hide it theory so a thief can’t find it, yet am slightly concerned that an inspector may find it during an inspection and could possibly slip out with it as it’s just in an envelope, while a lock box isn’t so easy to hide on your person.
Then I’m sure there is a max amount your allowed to show up with, and maybe too much makes you look suspicious?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: How Much Cash Do You Take Abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I started the thread how long do you provision for, and along a similar note, how much Cash in US or other currency do you take with you as a just in case?
When we flew to the Bahamas years ago I used to carry considerable cash as often you couldn’t buy fuel any other way, and sometimes the ATM’s were inop for many different reasons, plus if you paid cash, sometimes you could get some decent discounts.
We are headed towards the Western Caribbean starting in Mexico and headed South.
How much should we take aboard, and along another line of reasoning, how do you hide, or secure it?
I’m thinking take a months of the budget, and to secure it in some kind of lockbox that can be decently hidden, but due to its size, not really hidden well.
I understand the hide it theory so a thief can’t find it, yet am slightly concerned that an inspector may find it during an inspection and could possibly slip out with it as it’s just in an envelope, while a lock box isn’t so easy to hide on your person.
Then I’m sure there is a max amount your allowed to show up with, and maybe too much makes you look suspicious?
Not going to say what we do or do not carry but .... I could hide a considerable amount on our boat and no one is going to find it without a couple of days work with a chain saw and a 7.5" grinder.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:46   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

PS. I once surveyed a 41' Formosa. These boats have a curious layout and I managed to get between the hull and the outboard bulkhead in the head. As I was feeling around in the dark on the underside of the deck I found a loose piece of FRP. I gave it a yank and pulled off a sheet of glass about 2' sq. Once I managed to squeeze back out to daylight I found laminated between two layers of glass, $5,000 in old style Canadian $100 dollar bills.

Apparently the original owner (deceased) had circumnavigated. I guess this was his stash. Six subsequent owners missed it.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:50   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

So far nobody I've met has refused cash yet. And you'll need it when you find your card(s) are cancelled due to world class crooks in the under developed world. And try to get a new card in areas not serviced by UPS. Not to mention waiting in queue at 75 cents a minutes where 800 numbers are blocked. All from past experience, not imagined. Luckily I had cash. And greenbacks is what you need.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:56   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

1000 euros in 100s, 1500 USD 1000 in 100s, 500 in 20s, all new uncirculated notes.......if I told you where they are it wouldn't be a secret now would it?

A boat has many places to hide a small wad of bills, many have several built in secret compartments that owners never find unless they are pointed out......

Ohh don't use the safe.......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:59   #6

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Think it depends how far off the beaten track you are going, but ill be taking at least a months budget, plus a wedge to grease the wheels if needed and an emergency flight.

Whenever I travel I have keep a throw down amou t in my pocket to keep casual thieves happy and my cards and cash in a clip on pouch. Ill have the same set up on the boat as well.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:08   #7

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't know if any countries have a max amount that you can show up with, but if you're planning on taking a lot it may be worth remembering that many countries do have a max amount you can show up with without declaring it (eg. USD10,000 or equivalent in the USA). If you don't declare it and it is found in an inspection it will be confiscated, and suspicions raised, and it will be up to the officer how much (if any) you get back.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:32   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You all know it is easier to find something when you know it is there. Honestly, for personal security reasons, I do not this issue should be discussed on the internet. Among friends, perhaps, but a secret isn't one when it is shared.

Ann
Old 07-01-2018, 12:34   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
How Much Cash Do You Take Abroad

I have set aside a months budget, which for us is no where near 10K.
I was wondering if that wasn’t excessive, but sounds like it may not be, to cover contingencies like dead credit cards etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:46   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

When I went to the Bahamas I took $500 (300 for the check in). Didn’t get cash again for 2 months. I’ve vacationed in Mexico at least 10 times and have never taken more than $500.

My cash back credit card makes up pretty much for foreign transactions and extra percent and it does it takes a long time to run out of cash. When getting low on cash I have always had lots of time to come across an ATM before running out.

If I lose my credit card I’m out a max of $50. I’ve had it hacked at least 6 times and it never has cost me anything and I have backup cards. If I lost my cash I’m out of it all.
Old 07-01-2018, 13:07   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

When I lived outside the US I always had one envelope with enough to get home (where I had family and could rebuild worst case).

I am looking for a small safe that I can fiberglass in that's mechanical (vs digital combo) to hold around 10k
Old 07-01-2018, 13:41   #12

Boat: Seaward 22

I save all my old debit and credit cards that have been cancelled for fraud. Use them with a wad of small bills when about town. Makes a more convincing package and doesn't impact me at all.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 14:12   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I save all my old debit and credit cards that have been cancelled for fraud. Use them with a wad of small bills when about town. Makes a more convincing package and doesn't impact me at all.
The fraud happens when you use your current credit cards. Credit card scammers are not unsophisticated. The problem is that the credit card issuer cancels the card when whatever algorithm they use flags your card. You find this out the next time you use the card and it is declined. You are then without a valid credit card in a place with poor communications and poorer mail/courier service. And that might happen only a hundred miles from the good ole USA.
Old 07-01-2018, 14:31   #14

I have about 4 credit cards as well as 2 bank cards...I'm not carrying much cash.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 15:11   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

How about prepaid credit cards? Having a few with up to 500 preloaded?