Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2014, 20:51   #1

How Long Does It Take You To Boil Water?

I'm comparing possible cookers, and I need a baseline for what a marine stove "should" do. So, if you please, tell us how long it takes you to a boil a given amount of water and what type of cooker you use.

Thanks

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 23:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: How Long Does It Take You To Boil Water?

Are these times when I am watching? Or not watching the pot?
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 00:25   #3

It has nothing to do with the stove and everything to do with the size of burners which are rated in BTU's. Small burners are around 5000 btu and the larger ones are around 8000btu
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 01:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
It has nothing to do with the stove and everything to do with the size of burners which are rated in BTU's. Small burners are around 5000 btu and the larger ones are around 8000btu
BTU ratings aren't very reliable, since they're often based on fuel consumed, not actual heat output. That is, they're measuring the BTUs which you would get if the burner were 100% efficient (which none of them are). That's why time to boil a given quantity of water is a better measure; it reflects actual heat output. Two cookers both rated at 8000btu can have very different actual heat outputs.

-- Seneca
Old 19-10-2014, 01:13   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

It also depends on the shape, size and material of the container and lid; how efficiently the actual BTUs are transferred to the water as opposed to the surrounding atmosphere and how much is lost to radiation and evaporation during the heating process.

How long is a piece of string?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 01:25   #6

Yes yes Stu, that's true.

But wouldn't it have been easier to just post how long it takes you to boil your water?

If the data's useless, that's my problem.

And, of course, nobody has to respond to this thread at all if they don't want to...

-- Seneca
Old 19-10-2014, 02:23   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

It also depends on the knob setting. Having the blue flame just touch the pot is more efficient than having it fully on. We take about 5 minutes to boil 1/2 litre from 22 degrees C if that helps..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 02:41   #8

One of the British sailing mags did a major write up on stoves sometime back and included the time to boil a cup of water on each stove but there are much more important features on a stove including how well the oven works,ie; hot spots and the broiler as well as cleaning it, etc. etc.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 02:47   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I've never even considered measuring such a thing. Probably because, for me at least, probably the most key feature to a Marine Stove/Oven, is the thermocouple. A handy little feature which, if memory serves correctly, lets the stove shut down gas flow to a burner, on it's own, if the flame on said burner goes out.
That way, if you have to unexpectedly run up on deck, or tend to something else while in the midst of some galley duties, (knock on wood) the stove can babysit itself.

I'm not in the habit of walking away from the stove while it's on. However, sometimes it happens... due to unforeseen events, etc. Though even then I endeavor to turn off the burners/oven I'm using as I'm scampering up the companionway.
Thus, aside from the perk of the stove's being stainless, that's "the why" behind marine stoves.
If you can find a stove/oven which has reliable thermocouples, but isn't "marine" or stainless. I'd say go ahead and snag it, along with a set or two of a few key parts.
I can happily pass on the stainless part, & given a bit of time, can likely figure out how to best gimbal a stove. Ditto on fitting it with pot holders on the burners.

PS: If anyone does happen to know of some brands of stoves & ovens which have thermocouples, but which don't come with the "marine" price tag. Please be kind enough to post your findings.
As while my boat came with a Force 10, 3 burner with over, it still seems loco to me to have such items costing well in excess of $1k. And it'd be nice to know of other proven options. (I know... get off my heine & go look/do some digging).

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 03:59   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Never bothered to measure it. Too many variables. If you're only boiling water - use a tea kettle. They are completely closed (except the whistle) meaning no heat is lost through steam escape.

Take Monte's advice - set the flame so the blue is just touching the bottom of the kettle.

KISS- I know you are thinking extremely minimalistic boat - but this is digging around in an area where you will probably waste a lot of time and get no good answer. There are just too many variables here.

- is there a chance of a breeze blowing through you galley (loss of heat)
-what type of pot/kettle are you using?
- Butane or propane?
-how tightly does the lid fit on the pot?
- Have you cleaned the burners lately?

Plus probably 10 other variables that I can't think of off hand.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 04:39   #11

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

So I pretty much never boil a single cup of water. I can tell you that my average sized kettle ( same one I used in a house) take 5 to 8 minutes to boil...fuel alcohol, stove an origo non pressurized unit with an oven. Time difference is related to fuel quality and water temp...
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 04:40   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Plus probably 10 other variables that I can't think of off hand.
Apart from the breeze/draft you mentioned, I think the biggest variable is initial water temperature and air temperature. I notice a huge difference summer to winter in the time it takes to boil the kettle (seems like close to double, although I have never timed it).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 05:03   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

5 to 10 minutes in an alloy pot (0.5 liter) with a lid, over a plain LPG galley stove (two burner model). We boil on the smaller burner, at its low setting.

As others said, draft, air pressure, humidity, temperature, boat rolling, LPG type, etc. all factor in.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 05:04   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

fill kettle, light fire. less than 4 min i am already making coffee with boiled water. time it?? doubtful i would ever do that..... but i know how long it takes me to make my coffee.
propane. force 10.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 05:39   #15
cruiser

Dumb initial question. Many variables.

What's the initial water temp? How much water? Flame size? How big is the pot? What's the pot made of? Etc.

We use an induction cooktop... Takes about a minute.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, water