Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2017, 00:09   #46

Re: How Long Do You Provision For?

You could always use the Joshua Slocum method. I believe for his circumnavigation he had a barrel of beans, a barrel of rice, and a barrel of wheat. Then again, he sailed around the globe with a sextant, tables, and a compass. I sometimes need to use the gps on my phone to get to places I have already been to two or three times.
nine7one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 07:29   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
We have spent a good many winters/hurricane seasons sitting someplace and one of the great things is trying to find food - red and white butchers, fresh veggies, canned stuff, cereal, snacks, - in Tunisia we ended up with folks we knew and they knew us and it was great as we got good cuts of meat and really fresh veggies, in Kusadasi we found a pork store but it was limited at times but we found both a red and white butchers that got to know us and at the fresh market we had our favorite vendors who seemed to have the veggies we wanted and at times reached in the back and got us something not on display
in Marmaris this winter I went on a long exploratory walk and found an incredible pork store so we are have ribs, bacon, ham, pork chops ect along with cranberry sauce, great cheese we can not find at the cheese stores, and a lot of other stuff and across the street is a small Carrefour
Exploring is the way you find the unexpected food sources
I am glad you enjoy that. Just because we enjoy different things there is no need to denigrate others with different interests, not you but the other poster who said .... "Searching for supplies is way more fun than just walking around aimlessly, being a tourist".
Old 31-12-2017, 08:02   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We discussed it a few years ago: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ge-137248.html

It's tempting considering the huge variation in the cost of booze in different countries.

Unlikely to be legal, though.
I ran into a Brit in the South Pacific who had rigged up his stainless steel mast step with a small filler at the top and a tap on the bottom and he had it filled in the Caribbean with over proof rum. The tap was at floor level below the table where it can't be seen and the filler had a cap over it. Pretty slick system. I did some calculating and it would hold close to 20+ liters. He was please with himself because he didn't like getting screwed by the French with their high taxes, lol.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 19:54   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine7one View Post
You could always use the Joshua Slocum method. I believe for his circumnavigation he had a barrel of beans, a barrel of rice, and a barrel of wheat. Then again, he sailed around the globe with a sextant, tables, and a compass. I sometimes need to use the gps on my phone to get to places I have already been to two or three times.
You forgot tallow...yumm!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:14   #50

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I am glad you enjoy that. Just because we enjoy different things there is no need to denigrate others with different interests, not you but the other poster who said .... "Searching for supplies is way more fun than just walking around aimlessly, being a tourist".

Not denigrating anyone - you want food you have to go look for it - really kinda simple
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 13:04   #51
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

a64pilot, that was my concern, as well. How long? How much? And of what? After looking at many posts, we decided to not provision for too, too long as we really don't have the space. We only have a fridge so we did buy a small Edson freezer and I'm glad we did. I really think I've bought way too many canned tomatoes, but at least I can flavor the rice and beans with them.

It is really hard to know how and what to provision as this is our first time cruising for any length of time outside the US. We are on Day 1 here in Bimini, waiting for the winds and seas to calm down before heading over to the Berries. I'm sure we won't starve, but do we really have enough coffee and toilet paper? I hope so. Ugh.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 13:17   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
we've been on the water for 2 years now....................

The caribbean is ungodly expensive almost no matter what you buy, so we tend to stock up.

I think, I hope that is one of the differences between the Eastern and Western Caribbean, although of course remote, is well, remote.
Although I have bought a couple hundred rolls of tp off of Amazon, the single ply kind that has no tube, just tp. It is surprisingly much smaller as the hole crushes down without the tube
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 13:22   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think, I hope that is one of the differences between the Eastern and Western Caribbean, although of course remote, is well, remote.
Although I have bought a couple hundred rolls of tp off of Amazon, the single ply kind that has no tube, just tp. It is surprisingly much smaller as the hole crushes down without the tube
The W Carib is considerably less expensive...and you can buy TP here! [emoji6]
Old 02-01-2018, 13:31   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
a64pilot, that was my concern, as well. How long? How much? And of what? After looking at many posts, we decided to not provision for too, too long as we really don't have the space. We only have a fridge so we did buy a small Edson freezer and I'm glad we did. I really think I've bought way too many canned tomatoes, but at least I can flavor the rice and beans with them.

It is really hard to know how and what to provision as this is our first time cruising for any length of time outside the US. We are on Day 1 here in Bimini, waiting for the winds and seas to calm down before heading over to the Berries. I'm sure we won't starve, but do we really have enough coffee and toilet paper? I hope so. Ugh.
Friends of mine just crossed to Bimini too: Lagoon 38, "Good Karma". Let me know if you cross paths with them.

The Bahamas are indeed crazy expensive...one reason to stock up.

For something critical like coffee, we vaccum bag beans...LOTS of beans...running out of good coffee would be very bad.
Old 02-01-2018, 13:31   #55
cruiser

Oh, and we will also be in the Rio Dulce for hurricane season 2018 so we will see you there.
Old 02-01-2018, 13:34   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Friends of mine just crossed to Bimini too: Lagoon 38, "Good Karma". Let me know if you cross paths with them.

The Bahamas are indeed crazy expensive...one reason to stock up.

For something critical like coffee, we vaccum bag beans...LOTS of beans...running out of good coffee would be very bad.
Are they in a marina or anchoring somewhere? Super windy and rough here today, even in a slip.

Wish I knew to provision MORE coffee. Ugh. I agree. No coffee would be very, very, bad.
Old 02-01-2018, 13:34   #57

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I was bored this weekend as it was cold in North Florida this weekend and thinking of this thread I shopped via an app at the local stores while hibernating. Made a list to last a year minus fresh meat and vegetables.

It's long so I don't want to clutter the list Provisioning | The Sailing Vessel Pomaika'i
Old 02-01-2018, 13:39   #58

Quote:
Are they in a marina or anchoring somewhere? Super windy and rough here today, even in a slip.

Wish I knew to provision MORE coffee. Ugh. I agree. No coffee would be very, very, bad.
I think they are riding it out in the Big Game Club marina.

Running out of good coffee would be very bad, at least if you run outta TP youve got options. [emoji16]
Old 02-01-2018, 13:42   #59

Quote:
Oh, and we will also be in the Rio Dulce for hurricane season 2018 so we will see you there.
Could be, Im planning to be back on the Rio for at least part of 2018 hurricane season.

Provisioning is cheap in Guate!
Old 02-01-2018, 13:45   #60

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The W Carib is considerably less expensive...and you can buy TP here! [emoji6]
People poop everywhere too.
Belize can be picky about what you can bring into the country. Coming in from the north there is almost no chance someone would come out to your boat to inspect for baned stuff but you may need to fib on your clearance forms.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote