Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 13:09   #61

Boat: Jeanneau Attalia
Re: How do you easily get your provisions aboard when at anchor?

I see a lot of replies about add-on sugar scoops. A lot simpler is a bolt on, folding swim platform. I designed and installed on on my 32 footer. It stays on permanently but can be removed with 2 bolts. It’s been on for 6 years.
https://jeanneau-owners.com/hintsand...gplatform.html
Contact me for details.
Phonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 13:14   #62

Just stretch a cargo net across the sole of the dinghy before you load .Then, when you pull along side, you can attach a shackle and haulyard and lift the whole load at once. An appropriate block on the boom and a strong topping lift help a lot. I can snatch the net out of the dink and swing it right into the cockpit.
B Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:28   #63

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I didn't see this recommendation (with a quick glance) through the thread, so I spell it out here: I use the mainsail boom. I always keep a 2-block tackle line on the end to use as a hoist heavy t bring heavy stuff on board, or to drop heavy stuff (like size 8 batteries) down below through the companion way. I also use the tackle to bring someone [who's been incapacitated] aboard by clipping to the harness, or I also use it to hold the boom off to one side in light winds (I attached it to the toe rail along the gunnel).
Alis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 19:45   #64

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alis View Post
I didn't see this recommendation (with a quick glance) through the thread, so I spell it out here: I use the mainsail boom. I always keep a 2-block tackle line on the end to use as a hoist heavy t bring heavy stuff on board, or to drop heavy stuff (like size 8 batteries) down below through the companion way. I also use the tackle to bring someone [who's been incapacitated] aboard by clipping to the harness, or I also use it to hold the boom off to one side in light winds (I attached it to the toe rail along the gunnel).
Similar to my solution. I have a bail at the end of my boom. I attach a four part tackle to it and use a preventer and my main sheet to fix the boom in place over the item to be lifted. The older I get the more often I use this method.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 21:39   #65

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Question for the above two posters: If your handy billy is fastened to the end of the boom, how do you use it to get stuff in/out of the companionway? On all the boats I've owned, the end of the boom is considerably further aft than the companionway.

Jim
Old 07-06-2020, 06:07   #66

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Question for the above two posters: If your handy billy is fastened to the end of the boom, how do you use it to get stuff in/out of the companionway? On all the boats I've owned, the end of the boom is considerably further aft than the companionway.

Jim
First I hoist it into the cockpit then I can attach the tackle to a bail used for my mainsheet which is a mid-boom sheeting arrangement as my mainsail track lies forward of my companionway.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:30   #67
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Using a Handy Billy like this would be a rare occurrence IMHO. If we needed to replace batteries I guess that would be an option. But for something rare like that we can afford to go to a marina. Getting the batteries to the dinghy dock would be just as much as an adventure without a car as getting the batteries to the boat. I suppose if you had a sudden catastrophic failure of all your battery banks and couldn't start the engine or even use your windlass there might be an occasion to replace the batteries on the hook.

Our batteries are 3 years old and still usually have 12.6-12.7v in the morning running fans, AIS and an anchor light all night and often running thr stereo system to listen to audiobooks well past dark. If they started getting weak I'd replace them well before they died. Four 6v. Golf car batteries aren't super expensive anyhow.

I tried one time to use the spin halyard to lift some 6-gallon water can and it was more messing around than it was worth. I hoist them up with a rope from the rail, 20-25 gallons worth every week. I can't think of too many things we regularly bring onboard from the dinghy that weighs more than a 6-gallon water jug. The diesel cans are the more typical 5-gallon size and they seem really easy to lift after making two trips for water.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:55   #68

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

We pass our toddler up from the beam Wearing a life jacket ofc, with one person on the deck and one in the dinghy. She's 11kg now, but I think this solution will work fine until she is at least 25kg, and then we will have to think of another option if she is unable to assist herself in the manuvere.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:01   #69

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

If you are on the dry as the picture suggests, hire the travellift for an hour when going on passage [emoji1787]
Old 07-06-2020, 08:09   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
If you are on the dry as the picture suggests, hire the travellift for an hour when going on passage [emoji1787]
Me? I don't see how you concluded that from my picture. We are anchored.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:05   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
It seems this is pretty simple for multihulls, but most large monhulls seem to have 2-3' between the waterline where the dinghy would be and the deck.

I'm guessing there is some secret here i'm not aware of.

Thanks!
Easy, no tender pile up at the dock , no riots in town , and no corona
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82FFA853-163A-4F59-9D30-2741597885D4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	216751  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:09   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Easy, no tender pile up at the dock , no riots in town , and no corona
Lol! Good plan! It probably couldn't manage cans of water, but if it can do pizza and a few beers then who needs water?
Old 12-06-2020, 09:16   #73
rla

The main point I consider is removing the guard wires, well at least the lower one, as lifting over it makes the job harder. A proper gate stantion area on both sides of the boat, by a shroud for the extra handhold is ideal and makes no lift very high.
rla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 02:45   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rla View Post
The main point I consider is removing the guard wires, well at least the lower one, as lifting over it makes the job harder. A proper gate stantion area on both sides of the boat, by a shroud for the extra handhold is ideal and makes no lift very high.
Yea, I am considering that, as I will be completely removing the swim ladder from the stern when I build our wind vane pilot. We hardly use the swim ladder anyway for boarding the ship from the tender, only fur swimming. We're both pretty fit, so hauling ourselves up from the beam isn't much of an issue. Although a stanchion gate with a ladder that folds down would be nice.

That is another objection I have to sugar scoops - it makes installing a wind vane difficult, though I have seen it done, it looks awkward.
Old 13-06-2020, 04:03   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Yea, I am considering that, as I will be completely removing the swim ladder from the stern when I build our wind vane pilot. We hardly use the swim ladder anyway for boarding the ship from the tender, only fur swimming. We're both pretty fit, so hauling ourselves up from the beam isn't much of an issue. Although a stanchion gate with a ladder that folds down would be nice.

That is another objection I have to sugar scoops - it makes installing a wind vane difficult, though I have seen it done, it looks awkward.

Put your weather gear">foul weather gear on , add a life jacket ... then see if you can get back onboard without a ladder
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor