Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018, 18:09   #1

Boat: Northwind 7 trailer sailer
Housekeeping contribution cruising in Japan

We are lucky bunnies to be invited to spend a couple of weeks cruising Japan's Inland Sea in March/April aboard a mate's Salar 40. Can anyone please suggest a reasonable contribution to the boat for our time aboard (not counting grog)? Don't want to be too stingy or over the top. No idea where to start!
Thanks,
Pete and Kaye
Isabella Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 21:36   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Housekeeping contribution cruising in Japan

Pay for yours and the owners meals out.
Old 05-01-2018, 21:43   #3

We'll likely be doing that anyway, but thanks - that's a start!
Old 05-01-2018, 22:39   #4

I say offer to help pay for perishable expenses.

Be helpful and learn so you're not a passenger. That goes a long way.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 22:45   #5

It's been a few years since we have sailed together but it goes without saying that when we are aboard we are crew. I still think we need to contribute ..............
Old 06-01-2018, 01:32   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

We've always used a boat kitty system, with all paying the same amount in and using that to buy all that is needed during the trip.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:38   #7

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

Inquire as to what marine stores they order from online. A Gift Card would definitely fit on the boat. (Purchasing a gift without knowing a definite need could result in filling valuable space).
I know the "thoughtfulness" of any gift, including meals/kitty etc will be appreciated.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:05   #8

Thank you all for the advice - all good. I guess I was hoping someone might have an idea of cost of living as a yachtie resupplying in Japan. I'm sure we'll get through fine. Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2018, 14:33   #9

Boat: Union cutter 33

We always split marina fees fuel cost and provisioning costs plus we always brought a top of the line bottle of scotch
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 19:24   #10

Boat: Yamaha "Mylady" 25 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella Jane View Post
I guess I was hoping someone might have an idea of cost of living as a yachtie resupplying in Japan.
I used to live full-time, now part-time in Japan, and had a small sailboat there. I don't know what your point or country of reference is, but the cost of provisioning (buying foodstuff) in Japan will be higher than in Southeast Asia for example, but about on a par with North America or Central European countries. Lots of fresh fish of course and plenty of variety in veggies etc. Meat (especially beef) may be somewhat more expensive, ditto beer and wine, but not outrageously so (be sure to try the sake as well, if you like a drink). Since the Inland Sea is mostly rural, costs are generally lower than in metropolitan areas. Eating out will range from very affordable to quite expensive depending on the establishment but it's usually easy to find out the cost in advance, so there are no surprises. Absolutely no tipping required anywhere.

It's a beautiful cruising ground, although the sea will still be a bit cold in March/April. There are not many full-service marinas in the area but quite a number of so-called "Sea Stations" (Umi no eki, in Japanese) which will certainly not be crowded and allow short-term berthing. Anchoring should also be no problem, given the numerous small islands and protected bays, and tying up in small fishing ports is also usually possible (and free), but you may have to follow the directions of the local fishermen and some may send you away.

The cost of chandlery (mostly imported) in Japan is high, often double or even more of what you might be used to, and diesel runs to about 130 yen per liter, more at marinas. Any "marine shop" will be high-priced while similar products can often be found at hardware stores for much less. Servicing by diesel mechanics also tends to be expensive.

Here's an English-language link to some useful information:

Setouchi Cruising Portal Website
Yowieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 19:44   #11

Addendum:
I just saw in your profile that you're located in Oz. While the opposite used to be the case, nowadays I'd say that living costs in Japan are about a third or so lower than in Australia. Of course, YMMV.
Old 06-01-2018, 22:50   #12

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A method that we have used: owner and visitor each contribute x dollars (yen, whatever) to a kitty. All expenses for the duration of the visit (other than major boat issues) are paid from the kitty. When empty, it is refilled. An easy way to be sure that your contributions are in line with costs.

Jim
Old 06-01-2018, 23:49   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Lots of ways of doing it.... you could insist on paying all vittling while aboard.... ( still a cheap hol ) as your friends are paying all other assorted costs.

Just ask them what they would find acceptable.... and bringing chandlery from Oz ( even if bought on line from the US or UK ) would I'm sure be appreciated... its usually the simple stuff thats hard to find......

Re meat... its a long time since I was last in Japan but I clearly recall that beef was priced not by the kilo but by the 100g......
Old 07-01-2018, 02:01   #14

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

When we have had friends on board, all we ask is for their share of the food and fuel we use for that time. Also, if we have to go into a marina to collect them (and pay) and we would not have otherwise gone into the marina, then the cost of that. Some have also bought us dinner at the end, but that is up to them. Of course they also bring/pay for their grog.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Re meat... its a long time since I was last in Japan but I clearly recall that beef was priced not by the kilo but by the 100g......
Well, that's still true, and for those who insist on a regular fix of huge prime rib steaks for dinner, the cruising kitty won't last long, but there are cheaper alternatives even in the meat department, and so many other delectable choices in the Japanese food archipelago...

Tags
cruising, Japan, rib