Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 14:56   #31

Re: Help with making practical use of top loading refrigeration, or switching to some

We have a top loading freezer and fridge. We have a two shelves that help. We like to use colour coded fridge bags to keep things organized. Easy to keep clean, inexpensive, buy from Amazon,

Amazon.com: flip and tumble Set of 5 Reusable Produce Bags: Reusable Grocery Bags: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: ChicoBag Produce Stand rePETe Mesh 3 Pack (Recycled PET) Reusable Produce Bags (Set of 3): Sports & Outdoors

Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:01   #32

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Help with making practical use of top loading refrigeration, or switching to some

We purchased plastic containers (with snap on lids) that exactly fit inside our fridge. 3 big ones on the bottom, then an assortment of smaller ones (that also exactly fit). Smaller ones are labeled and have cheese, butter, cold cuts, bread eggs etc.

Big ones have produce (if it needs refrigeration) and large cuts of meat (vacuum packed).

As usual, the bin you need is at the bottom - but with a little practice and forethought, you can reach the point where you stack them in the order you will need them for the next meal

And as someone noted, mustard, ketchup etc do not need refrigeration - neither do eggs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 07:30   #33

Boat: Leopard 42 Sailing Cat

We have found that using uniformly fitting and locking lid plastic containers that stack well works pretty well for breaking down different food groups like dairy (cheese, etc) one for meats, like a "deli drawer" in a traditional frig just for different food types/groups whatever makes sense to you. They then stack in the basin and can be removed for easier review/access. Then we have a shelf that slides across to the other side under which we put items that do need refrigeration but we don't need daily access to typically...butter, sour cream etc.
Just my $.02...have fun and get used to thinking VERY differently than you did living on land!
chrtucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 15:06   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Freedom 45

Organization is the key. We put all like items in one location, so you can locate and get to it quickly. I only take out what I need and rarely have to put other things on the counter, but it took getting used to this process to make it efficient.
Our breakfasts are all similar, so we put all breakfast items, bacon, eggs, etc. in one location. Lunches have more variety, but the basics for this is in another area and in between shared items. All bottles are in one section and you get used to the height and shape of top so you can locate what you need quickly.
All of our produce is in one area. But I am going to get the color coded bags, think it will make it so much easier.
Thanks for all of the great input. We are practicing right now and take off in 2 months! Love all of the great information!!!

Love the color coded bags! Great idea. I also love the stacking Lock N Locks for storage!
ArteLauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 14:35   #35

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali

My top loading refrigerator was converted from air cool to keel cool (huge improvement). The ice box is vertical and very high (about 4') with one shelf half way up. In ordered to make the bottom space more usable I opened a small front door near the bottom and added another shelf. Now this fridge has the best of of all worlds, for everyday use the top load saves energy, and the bottom part is accessible for items who need colder temp and longer stay.
We use stackable containers with different cover colors to store food.
The top has two doors so items can be moved from side to side and there is no need to clear the top to open the fridge.

May the good winds always be with you
Old 02-09-2014, 13:01   #36

Boat: Irwin 33 MKII

You really are going to have to figure out what you are going to do with the boat....

Live aboard and cruiser are not interchangeable words. If all you plan on doing is having waterfront property - get a dorm fridge and put it somewhere... maybe next to your microwave. Solves the top loader problem, and you'll be able to make ice.

If you plan on cruising - pack up some food, go to an isolated area, drop anchor and spend 2-3 weeks with out going ashore... This will/might give you an idea if you will even like being stuck out in the middle of ocean, with no way to run to the store to grab something.

Do it before you end up in the middle the Atlantic and figure out you hate it.
david78212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:34   #37

Boat: Catana 472

Does anyone know where to buy the baskets for the top loading Frigoboats? We bought a boat used and they are missing. Have tried to put different baskets in but none fit very well and when loaded they tend to crash down on top of stuff below. I guess we could make something but sure would be nice to buy and plop them in.
sail2travel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, loa, refrigeration