Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2021, 07:51   #31

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Help me shop, new boat needs outfitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I'm amazed that it took till the 25th post for someone to mention GOOD BINOCULARS. It was the first thing I thought of. How different we all are!

Remember to keep the weight down. Find small tools, for cooking, not large examples.

Get only what you need. What you think you need will morph with time.

For us it has been glass for drinking wine--stemware at first, but later, juice glasses like in a Basque restaurant; we had pottery "stoneware" plates, now Corelle. We knew people who used China, from thrift shops. It is a lot about what you like, and how much you want to spend, but it makes a lot of sense to wait and see what you want/need, then supply it. Remember that the boat may be jumping around in a seaway, so having a "butt belt" for the galley can be a real help. Pots lids should have a chance of staying on. Think motion that you never planned for in an apartment. It is one reason pressure cookers are so brilliant: positive lid closure. Where it's hot, you can bake bread in them on the stove top, too, even cakes.

Permethrins, for treating bug screens. If where you sail is plagued by black biting flies, consider a mosquito bed net to enclose the cockpit. Treated with permethrins, the flies that touch it fall dead to the decks. So, too, mosquitos, sandflies.

Staying basic and practical will serve you well.

Ann

Actually buried in post 6 is a reference to binoculars :-)
Old 11-12-2021, 12:06   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccoast View Post
I like the pressure cooker idea, whats the best way from preventing it from becoming the dogs dinner on the floor while underway?
The pot holders clamp onto rails around the cooktop, and keep the pans located over the burners.

Ime, what keeps the "dog's dinner" from happening is to have lids that stay on, so a deep lip on the lid helps (think Revere ware pots vx. cheap cast aluminum). ....Oh, and never leave the stirring spoon in the pot if the gimballing lets it get under a shelf. Yes. But we don't talk about it.

Ann
Old 11-12-2021, 12:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Actually buried in post 6 is a reference to binoculars :-)
My apologies for missing it.

Yes, really important. Help so very much.

Ann
Old 11-12-2021, 12:13   #34

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
I hope you haven’t forgotten about safety related items!
Add chart books to your electronic charts,
Put together a good first aid kit with supplies of things like kaopectate, Metamucil, etc etc
Good binoculars, sunglasses, wide brim hat, sun block,
A pair of vhf handheld radios for communicating with crew that leaves the boat and as a ditch bag item.
And have fun!
Extra binoculars, cause when they get dropped the mirrors inside can move rendering them useless as binocs.
Unless your one eyed yourself.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:15   #35

Quote:
The pot holders clamp onto rails around the cooktop, and keep the pans located over the burners.

Ime, what keeps the "dog's dinner" from happening is to have lids that stay on, so a deep lip on the lid helps (think Revere ware pots vx. cheap cast aluminum). ....Oh, and never leave the stirring spoon in the pot if the gimballing lets it get under a shelf. Yes. But we don't talk about it.

Ann
oh gosh those little pot holding arms are critical.
Thanks!
Boatyarddog
Old 12-12-2021, 16:33   #36

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

No matter the pots/pans/dishes you get, their will be times, (usually at anchor,) when nothing will replace a crusty/well-seasoned cast iron frying pan.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 16:38   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
No matter the pots/pans/dishes you get, their will be times, (usually at anchor,) when nothing will replace a crusty/well-seasoned cast iron frying pan.

Not that these days you’d want to eat much of what’s cooked in those.
Old 12-12-2021, 17:20   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
+1
And they make great defensive weapons!
Flailing Fish knockers, hammers, heat distributors on top of the oven.
Many uses.
Boatyarddog
Old 12-12-2021, 19:52   #39

Boat: Catalina Morgan 381

Great thread as we hope to be in the same situation in the next few days.

Quote:
Oh, and never leave the stirring spoon in the pot if the gimballing lets it get under a shelf. Yes. But we don't talk about it.
LOL! These are the nuggets that only come with experience. Thankfully it was your experience this time. Dogs lunch aside, I am more concerned about flying pots of boiling liquids splashing people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Not that these days you’d want to eat much of what’s cooked in those.
I wonder why you say that? We use a well seasoned cast iron pan all the time. They can't be beat for some applications.
ksuderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 20:56   #40

I wonder if the preference for good cast iron pans is a colonized-by-the-British sort of thing? I loved by cast iron Dutch oven, was so sorry to let it go before we went cruising, but I was afraid of the rust. I now think/wish that I had kept it, a very versatile bit of kit.

Ann
Old 13-12-2021, 01:26   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Using an inverter to charge electronics is inefficient, install USB plugs. Or simply get 12VDC>usb and USB-c adapters

Also the new Jeanneaus have USB plugs in the staterooms, a great addition as you can plug in your phone to use as an anchor alarm.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 03:27   #42

Boat: Grand Soleil 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccoast View Post
We are about to take possession of our "like" new boat. The previous owners never used the kitchen, stove, fridge so it is literally brand new and empty. This will be our first sailboat and will be going shopping to get it set up. The boat is 40' Jeanneau SO409 with 2 cabins, 2 heads so it has plenty of space.

We are putting a list together and looking for recommendations, even on basics like square plates, plastic vs. china etc. Ikea is 2 blocks away. lol.

I love cooking and am going to get some good knives and a magnet wall mount for them.

We are west coast of Canada and will be weekend coastal cruising until summer when we will take off for a couple months.

What are some of your must-haves?
Congratulations on the boat! Knives on a bulkhead make me shiver. I'd hate to see you get thrown across the cabin in rough weather and land with your hand on the knives. We keep our knives in a drawer. We love our square melamine plates. They are happy living standing on edge in a cupboard. We also have china and crystal for special occasions but rarely get the china out. One suggestion is think long and hard before you start putting any holes in the woodwork. Screw holes in wood are hard to repair when you change your mind about something you mounted on a bulkhead. We have an electric hotplate that can run on our inverter so we can still cook if we have a LPG system problem. Beyond that outfit your galley and bunks with everything you love to use in your home that you can fit on the boat and safely stow at sea. Have fun!
blondjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 07:09   #43

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

Exciting times! You've been given a LOT of good information and suggestions from the folks on the forum. Instead of other things to purchase - let me suggest that this is also a time to 'personalize' your boat. Think about making your purchases unique to the boat. For instance - I went to Vistaprint (not a commercial for Vistaprint - just the one place I found that will personalize things with a minimum order of "1") to have some stuff made. Below is a photo of my coffee mugs. They're not expensive, and most places will offer a variety of shapes, sizes and materials.

OK, OK - I will suggest one thing to get, though; an inexpensive toast maker (see, for instance: https://www.rei.com/product/401036/c...-stove-toaster).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Celerity mug.png
Views:	49
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	249775  
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 07:23   #44

Boat: Bavaria 36'

Start by calling the kitchen the ‘galley’! My must have is a square frying pan which leaves enough room to access the other burners. Avoid gadgets, who needs an olive pip remover, oyster shell openers and anything which needs more than 2 AA batteries?
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 07:39   #45

Corelli dishes! I like Yeti for cups. I bought knives with shelves to protect the blades in drawers. I got set of knives at Costco for about $20us. For storage containers pickup the ones that have latches on all 4 sides. Table ware I have a set of Stainless Steel. The knives are serrated! Perfect. Rubber Placemats will help protect your wood surfaces. Have coasters either rubber or cork.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, new boat