Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2021, 14:34   #1

Boat: TRT 1200 GT
Heat diffusor for oven

Hi,

I have an old Plastimo Caribbean gas oven. It has one small burner at the bottom in the back. This has always given me a very uneven heat distribution, i.e. parts are either burned or raw.

I am wondering if this oven is missing some kind of heat diffusor that was lost over the years.

I am looking for pictures of how such a diffusor should look on this or similar ovens, so I could fabricate something.

I tried using a pizza stone, but that didn't really solve the problem.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20211205203742.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	249375   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3377~2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	249376  

toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 15:04   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Re: Heat diffusor for oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
Hi,

I have an old Plastimo Caribbean gas oven. It has one small burner at the bottom in the back. This has always given me a very uneven heat distribution, i.e. parts are either burned or raw.

I am wondering if this oven is missing some kind of heat diffusor that was lost over the years.

I am looking for pictures of how such a diffusor should look on this or similar ovens, so I could fabricate something.

Paul

It seems from the picture as the oven door is tilted a little / does not close well? (Can’t really tell too well, sorry). If so, I am pretty sure heat would not distribute evenly.
Old 05-12-2021, 15:05   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Our Force 10 oven had a square aluminum plate that fit above the flame, below the oven racks, to spread out the heat. A pizza stone might be too much of a heat sink for the small oven on a boat.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 17:51   #4

If there isn’t a part missing… I found a pizza stone worked well in my Princess stove’s oven
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 19:00   #5

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I have put a cut down 3/8" thick black marble tile above the burner and below the racks in my Seaward Princess stove. It has helped making the bottoms of a half dozen muffin in a pan equally brown. But, I wonder if a similar thickness of aluminum plate might be a better choice. Psk125's comment above may send me to the nearby metals scrap yard on a hunt for a suitable piece of plate for a trial.

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-con...ss%20Stove.pdf contains a general drawing and parts list for my stove. If I have it figured out right, #34 is the oven can which encloses the entire oven interior. Above the bottom of the oven can is #27 the oven burner. Above that is #26 the flame spreader. Above that is #30 the oven bottom upon which my marble tile rests. Above that is #31 the oven rack on which the muffin pan rests. Perhaps your Plastimo was similar.

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...r-help.175987/ contains the quote, "Plastimo Atlantic cookers are actually made (for Plastimo) by Leisure Products Bolton Ltd phone 01204 308458."
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 21:11   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

Paul
Our pizza stone made a tremendous difference. We can now do beef wellington, puff pastry, sponge cake and other delicate things with nice even heat.

Our stone in the oven and on the grill are quite tight fitting.
Could that be the difference ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza stone oven.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	249402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pizza stone bbq.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	249403  

Old 06-12-2021, 03:24   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Every oven I can find images of online shows a metal diffuser above the flame.

Without this diffuser the pizza stone isn’t going to do any good at all.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:39   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I feel your pain. Yet another substandard “marine” device that works 10x better and costs 10x less if you use non-marine.

Put in a deflector and you end up waiting an hour for it to pre-heat evenly.

No deflector and the performance is so poor you end up with the bottom/side of your food burnt and the part near the door/top raw.

I found that a good compromise was to be more attentive and rotate things frequently when I was stuck with a “marine” stove.

Now on the boat? I use the largest electric countertop oven which can fit a pizza or a turkey, has even heating throughout, plus convection, weighs like 12 lbs and cost something like $80.

Try your best with the deflector but make sure there is a lot of room for heat to flow up, but also do a good amount of rotation. You’ll find a balance after a bit.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 14:07   #9

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

Hi,

thanks for all the responses.

I tried a temporary deflector made from multiple layers of aluminium foil bend into a "flat funnel to the middle of the oven" and that really made a difference. I'll try to get hold of some thicker metal and bend that into shape and try again for a permanent fix.

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 14:54   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The Bavaria stove has a steel bottom plate above the flame ( which is a fore and aft tube burner ) works well , my cakes cook very evenly even though the oven struggles to get very hot.
Old 07-12-2021, 14:39   #11

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Hi,

thanks for all the responses.

I tried a temporary deflector made from multiple layers of aluminium foil bend into a "flat funnel to the middle of the oven" and that really made a difference. I'll try to get hold of some thicker metal and bend that into shape and try again for a permanent fix.

Paul
A piece of SS plate would be simple to bend "legs" on the corners so it would have better air/heat circulation than a tunnel might have.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven