Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 06:44   #1

Boat: '79 Albin Vega, '88 Catalina 22
Hand-crank blender and food processor recommendations?

I know I've stumbled across threads where people spoke positively about these human-powered devices. Does anyone use either one, or have a specific brand or model they recommend?

Many thanks!
Gene Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 12:48   #2

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: Hand-crank blender and food processor recommendations?

Kuhn Rikon makes one that works very well and is easy to clean up and store. I’ve had one on the boat for several years and have been very pleased with its performance, here’s a picture of it with a coffee cup to judge its size. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4460.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	176336
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 12:25   #3

Thanks RC, I'll have a look at those.

On a whim (it was $14), I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't used it yet, but already I don't like it. It's too big, and the speed of the blades appears much too slow. And the silly little funnel-thingy on top is not attached in any way. Only gravity holds it in place over the large-ish hole it covers.

Old 20-12-2018, 23:09   #4

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Kuhn Rikon makes one that works very well and is easy to clean up and store. I’ve had one on the boat for several years and have been very pleased with its performance, here’s a picture of it with a coffee cup to judge its size. Attachment 176336
I like the coffee mug! Where did you get it?
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 23:28   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

GSI Outdoors Vortex Blender

Have had one of these for years. Despite what some say you can crush ice and make smoothies but won’t get as fine as an electric blender but definitely does the job. Can mic batters, salsa etc and is solid. You really have to use the low speed first to break stuff up and little (ice) then switch to high gear to pulverize it
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 06:48   #6

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadago View Post
I like the coffee mug! Where did you get it?

A friend bought a boat that I helped him move from Red Wing, MN. to Louisiana, Missouri. The previous owner had left it on the boat. He gave it to me because I was using it during the trip, I like it because it won’t slide around or tip over. I did a search on google trying to find another but nothing came up.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 07:19   #7

Thanks, River Cruiser!

For the record, I wish to retract my negative "unboxing" review of the processor shown above. Yes it's a bit large, but not bad for two people. The loose funnel-thingy was not a problem, I just threw it away.

Most importantly though, it actually WORKS! I never thought blades turning that slowly could be effective, but they really do get the job done. We've used it a few times now with no complaints.

So while there are probably better models out there, for a measly $14, this one is just fine. When it wears out I will consider spending more money on the next one, since the basic concept of a hand-crank processor has now been confirmed.
Old 21-12-2018, 09:10   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
A friend bought a boat that I helped him move from Red Wing, MN. to Louisiana, Missouri. The previous owner had left it on the boat. He gave it to me because I was using it during the trip, I like it because it won’t slide around or tip over. I did a search on google trying to find another but nothing came up.
West Marine used to sell a great Stainless steel insulated mug similar to that design. Just did a search and don't find it on their website, unfortunately. Apparently they've gone full on Yeti. Yeti does make a nice insulated mug that should be stable though don't think it will have a non skid bottom.

An insulated mug is mandatory for me. With the wind on deck, coffee gets cold before I can finish it. The insulation at least gives some hope of a full cup of at least warm coffee. You can make a non slip bottom on most any container with ordinary silicone. Slather silicone on the bottom and squish the cop onto wax paper on a flat surface. Once it's gone off you have a non skid bottomed container.

My new to me boat came with a 12v blender. Left it at a boat consignment store but no one wanted to buy it after a year so they trashed it. May account for why there aren't a bunch of DC food processors out there. We have long since Goodwill'd our CuisineArt. Too much of a hassle to haul out of the cupboard, set up and wash. A knife and if you want something chopped fine one of these and life is much simpler. https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CTG...l+food+chopper
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 10:19   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
West Marine used to sell a great Stainless steel insulated mug similar to that design. Just did a search and don't find it on their website, unfortunately.

We also loved those mugs and we ended up buying Stanley mugs of the same type but vacuum insulated. They work better than the west marine mugs and they have a wider mouth so you can use them for soup and oatmeal as well.

As far as a chopper goes... we loved our slap chop but a good chef knife is just as good and takes up less space.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 01:44   #10

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
We also loved those mugs and we ended up buying Stanley mugs of the same type but vacuum insulated. They work better than the west marine mugs and they have a wider mouth so you can use them for soup and oatmeal as well.

As far as a chopper goes... we loved our slap chop but a good chef knife is just as good and takes up less space.
coffee mug gotcha! check ebay: https://www.ebay.com/bhp/feltman-langer

all vintage stuff. Pity none of those sellers ship to Europe!
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 23:25   #11

We have the Momugs hand-powered food processor. It is easy to clean, and the blades are super sharp.
grecko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food, men