Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2020, 00:38   #136

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Growing Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Thanks. I'm taking this social distancing very seriously. I haven't been to the grocery store in 2 months and between my fresh greens, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, fermented food and dehydrated food I'm eating vegetables everyday.
Yeah that's awesome Unfortunately I'm not in the same position with being able to grow so many things at the moment, but my wife and I are also taking the social distancing very seriously too. We go to the supermarket about once every 10 days. If the supermarkets were closed, or there was limited access or stock, we could easily go a month and not starve. Easily. I'd say three months if we were put on rations. We didn't panic buy, because our pantry is always stocked up (but I'm not talking prepper level or anything, just a normal pantry).

But I grew up with my mother teaching me how to grow and preserve all different types of food since I was a very small boy (and how to keep a pantry stocked too). She's 92 now, still gardens (although the end is getting close for this sadly), and still picks fresh lettuce everyday (and leaves the plant growing - she did this already 40 years ago, so much for these modern fads ).

Some of the things you post here I already remember from decades ago so I'm living somewhat vicariously through some of the things you post.

It's all great stuff, and can be modified for individual circumstances

Thanks again.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 10:38   #137

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

The beauty is you can harvest and replace a head of lettuce one at a time. This could also be scaled down to a smaller diameter.

https://youtu.be/nZCqdZWXxJ0
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 12:49   #138

Here's a great video showing how to grow potatoes in buckets. https://youtu.be/fH6ATJmVfxQ

My Everglades tomatoes have been decimated we'll see if they come back in October, if not I'm going to go with sweet 1000s even though they are a hybrid they have such high production I think they're a better choice. I don't know if it's the Beatles that killed my tomato plants but I have beetles living in the soil so I'm watering with soapy water at least once a week. Sweet potatoes, Egyptian walking onions, chives, and Cuban oregano are my tried-and-true and doing well. I also made a shallow reservoir container for microgreens.
Old 28-08-2020, 13:31   #139

Boat: a sailing boat

It works very well anchored.

To work underway, you will need a stable boat and plants that tolerate high salt environment.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 19:50   #140

The planters just need to be secured. During rough weather cover them with clear shower curtain material. But salt spray is a problem even at Anchorage, that's why sweet potatoes are so good. if the leaves get damaged just cut them off and they will regrow. Onions, chives and oregano are salt tolerant. microgreens grow so fast it's no big deal if you lose a batch. Whenever I buy a bag of potatoes it seems at least a couple of them end up sprouting. it will be nice to put them to good use.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:35   #141

My Everglades tomatoes are perennials but they died back every year. I just found out there are other tomatoes that are perennials. I'm going to try doing what the guy in the video did. In Florida I'm hoping to have year-round production. Black cherry tomatoes are supposed to be perennials and taste great and I like the idea of having purple fruit. https://youtu.be/SFUfOFwubVY
Old 23-09-2020, 10:49   #142

Well now I just found out Everglades aren't true perennials they just re-seed themselves.
Old 18-10-2020, 05:02   #143

https://youtu.be/qnBV6X1_Ph0
Successful regrowing of kitchen scraps
Old 18-10-2020, 17:58   #144

When i lived in an apartment a friend gave me one of the indoor gardens.

https://www.amazon.com/AeroGarden-Bo...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Then one we have cost about half as much, I dont see it anymore.

We had enough herbs growing to cook with everyday for about 7 months.

We plan to take it with us when we get a boat. Fresh herbs are a big deal for us when we cook.
There are lots of greens you can grow easy on a boat. Plant cabbage in a shallow pot, put the seeds as if you want to grow grass. In two weeks you would have 5-6in plants. Pick the big one and eat them and same time you thin the garden. Its amazing how much you get from one square ft.
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food