Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2006, 07:46   #1

Grog and Gruel

Anyone tried these guys? http://www.grogandgruel.com/default.aspx

Looks interesting and might be fun for a treat. It's more expensive that groceries but less than restaurants. We might substitute a couple of these rather than a meal out on our next trip.

Curtis
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 15:17   #2

Looks like a pricy MRE (Meal, Ready to Eat)
Old 13-06-2006, 18:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Pre packaged meals are a pretty good deal in many waysl Certainly not bad to have a few aboard for those times when you can't / don't want to cook. Going freeze dried you can cut the cost a lot and boost the shelf life. You can't go a year but easily a few months making your own meals. Canning is still a great method of preservation.

It's worth planning ahead and considering how you could pre package and make a quick meal. Just cutting the volume by elimination of packaging and pre measuring is most of the game. You don't have to go the whole 9 yards and buy pre made dinners, but having a few isn't bad either.

It's mostly about doing work (or paying some one lese) before you leave that makes the trip easier. My wife has a few foil pouches in the freezer we will use over the 4th of July. Just pop them in the oven on the way into the anchorage, crack open a bottle of Cab and we are good to go by the time we anchor and are settled for the night. There is no reason to eat poorly at sea or on the hook.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 08:46   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Grog and Gruel:
M'god that looks tasty! Those "pouches" are related to MRE technology...but they are also the hottest new thing in restaurant kitchens. When you put premium food inside them (instead of military meals) it comes back out identical to freshly made, sometimes better because they are doing the actual *cooking* itself inside the pouches, so there's more flavor retained. And unlike MRE's, this is fresh food, kept frozen, not shelf-stabilized rations.
Lobster, lamb, oh yeah, that kind of 'fast food' I could like! A bit over my daily food budget, but c'est la vie.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 09:21   #5

I'd love to hear from someone who has tried them.. The prices really aren't terrible. The prix fixe menus are $28/day for three squares plus dessert.

They (G&G) are a sponsor of the Annapolis to Bermuda race...maybe one of those guys tried them out.

c
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 14:56   #6

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
I have a friend who used them for a delivery.. no direct experience but he was very happy.. really good food with minimal work.

I personally think it adds up a little to fast for my budget however if I was looking for lots of meals ready to go with minimal space viable option
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote