Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2021, 03:40   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Groceries: How do you get them to the boat?

i am curious as to how others get groceries to the boat. When cruising, there are times when markets are not close to the dock or the beach. How do you get them to the boat in absence of a friendly stranger with a car?

i have tried a modified golf cart, but find that when the load is too heavy or too close to the bottom, the cart is difficult to handle and i worry that rough roads or too much weight will damage the cart.

Then i started using a jogging stroller with pneumatic tires. This seems to work well.

What do y'all use?
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 03:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Groceries: How do you get them to the boat?

Rucksack on and Yomp..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 03:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Groceries: How do you get them to the boat?

....carts, bicycle baskets, back packs, dinghies, rental cars, delivery services.
Old 20-11-2021, 03:49   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We stopped grocery shopping and now take all we need when we set off for a 6-9 month season. It requires a lot of prep like vacuum packing, pickling, canning, freezing etc. Also, pantry storage aboard becomes a project.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 03:53   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We stopped grocery shopping and now take all we need when we set off for a 6-9 month season. It requires a lot of prep like vacuum packing, pickling, canning, freezing etc. Also, pantry storage aboard becomes a project.

Yuk. 9 month non fresh food no thanks
Old 20-11-2021, 03:57   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yuk. 9 month non fresh food no thanks
You won’t be able to tell the difference when eating a steak from the grill. For veggies it is only those eaten raw that are a challenge. For this, we sprout and grow some herbs and veggies aboard… next season we hope to grow lettuce.

We use very little commercial canned food; just some beans, tomatoes, fruits. The rest is all home cooked.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 04:02   #7
Nearly an old salt

Groceries: How do you get them to the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
i am curious as to how others get groceries to the boat. When cruising, there are times when markets are not close to the dock or the beach. How do you get them to the boat in absence of a friendly stranger with a car?

i have tried a modified golf cart, but find that when the load is too heavy or too close to the bottom, the cart is difficult to handle and i worry that rough roads or too much weight will damage the cart.

Then i started using a jogging stroller with pneumatic tires. This seems to work well.

What do y'all use?

In most cases especially island communities you can reach food outlets within a mile. This I regard as walkable

An electric scooter also seems to be flavour of the month or at least folding bikes

In more rural areas there tends to be farm deliveries , ie man in a beat up van.

We try and shop everywhere we can , picking up whatever is local and fresh, in some cases we shop ( ie acquire food ) every day or every second day.

I have a folding sack trolley and or backpacks. , it’s an enjoyable activity. If we in a harbour or on anchor for a few days we try and find sources of local /regional foods , usually this requires chatting to the locals. In this regard the med is a playground for food whereas we found the Caribbean much more challenging

I like to cook so acquiring local in season produce and adapting my recipes to the area I’m cruising in is half the fun. I learned how to make great jerk chicken in Jamaica

I can’t imagine sailing with the same food as I left base for months on end.
Old 20-11-2021, 04:14   #8
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You won’t be able to tell the difference when eating a steak from the grill. For veggies it is only those eaten raw that are a challenge. For this, we sprout and grow some herbs and veggies aboard… next season we hope to grow lettuce.

We use very little commercial canned food; just some beans, tomatoes, fruits. The rest is all home cooked.

I eat little red meat mainly chicken and some pork as I find good meat in hot countries hard to come by. ( there are exceptions )

Vegetables are acquired from wherever we find ourselves. Usually great local stuff and fruit etc depending on where we are and the season.

I carry canned tomatoes ,Passata , coconut milk , condensed milk , some precooked beans. ( and of course Heinz baked beans ) about 20 cans in total at any time. Couple of emergency meals in a can ( French supermarkets are good for these if passing )

Lots of spices , balsamic cream and vinegar , various wine vinegars , cake /bread flour( this can be hard to come by ) mustards etc.

Recently ( last 5 years ) in out of the way places I’ve noticed it getting easier to acquire fresh milk , butter and cream. ( mostly UHT processed unlike back home , so will last quite some time in the fridge. )
Old 20-11-2021, 04:16   #9
Nearly an old salt

My main shopping activity fits into a back pack or two. Usually vegetables , peppers , fruit , bread and cheese if available.

For heavier items , sparkling water , beer , coke etc , I use the sack trolley or the carrier on the fold up bike.
Old 20-11-2021, 04:29   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post

What do y'all use?

Uber occasionally, marina shuttle sometimes, marina courtesy car once...

But mostly (folding) bicycle with rack plus backpack.

-Chris
Old 20-11-2021, 04:37   #11

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

We do huge provisioning like Jedi. We use a rental car for this typically since it’s done maybe 3x or 4x a year.

After you set the base of your various menu items with dry, canned, UHT and frozen goods, you are then left to pick up a few fresh fruits and vegetables here and there. This greatly simplifies getting groceries to the boat since you can just put them in a backpack and walk to any store or fruit/vegetable stand once a week or so.

My main secret to being able to go a couple weeks without vegetable shopping was to switch from lettuce to cabbage. Lasts about a month instead of 3 days.

Avocados? Those are a special treat!

I make smoothies for the nutrition they provide. Frozen fruit mix for that. And... I freeze bananas for that too. Very enjoyable on a hot day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	832267C3-6902-478C-AEC1-4AE57D38B74A.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	248592   Click image for larger version

Name:	1EE291A6-612E-48BF-8872-6361E9979DFD.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	248593  

Name:	E130C012-24B7-4D16-B916-5885D62A888E.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	248594   Click image for larger version

Name:	108F6F18-599E-468D-A721-426B1F40ABDD.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	432.6 KB
ID:	248595  

Name:	F8E3F6DB-493E-45E5-9F8F-92B985CF1AFA.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	248596  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 04:58   #12
Nearly an old salt

You’d think the world has no food !
Old 20-11-2021, 05:04   #13

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You’d think the world has no food !
It’s a lot of wasted hours and ruined meals going to pick up a things at the grocery store every day. “Oh, gee, I’m out of cumin again?”

Well, that doesn’t happen to me. I have 2 back stocks of everything like that.

It can either sit in a store or sit in my boat.

Maintaining a base inventory takes all the wasted time and wasted meals out of the equation.

As someone who loves cooking, I do not love to be restricted in my ability to cook very interesting meals at any time and any place. No matter how remote the Anchorage.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 05:37   #14

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We also provision heavily ahead, Then buy things like fresh veg and dairy as we go. We just did a big stockup in Vero Beach. My wife put together the shopping list through Instacart while underway. It arrived at the dingy dock a couple hours after we moored. It's really easy, no car rental needed, and not as expensive as a car rental either.
For fresh stuff, we walk or take the scooters with back packs or a folding pullcart.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 06:14   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

We also stock heavily before leaving the dock. This usually lasts us through the whole cruising season (usually around 3 months). We carry a range of foods, including fresh, canned and dried. The dried is mostly foods we've processed ourselves. We tend to carry a lot of staples so we can cook most things from scratch.

For re-stocking along the way we use a combination of fast-friends (people who give you the use of their personal vehicle ... surprisingly common in my experience), to taxis, to backpacks to a small wheeled collapsable cart.

BTW, +1 on cabbage. Will last nearly two months up in our climate, and can replace most leafy needs. And we also sprout and grow herbs along the way. Gives that fresh crunch no matter how long off the dock.

Tags
boat