Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2010, 21:10   #1

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Gluing Neoprene to Ceramic Dishes ?

I just bought some 1/8 and 1/4 inch neoprene to cut and glue to the bottoms of ceramic dishes. The intent of the neoprene is both to give the dishes stiction on table tops and to pad them when stacked so the plates don't scratch each other as we move with the waves.

My question is what to use to do the gluing ? I suspect no glue will last forever going through wash cycles stuck to smooth ceramic but we have some coffee cups that have neoprene on the bottom and they have lasted for quite a while.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

-Sven
Old 27-01-2010, 21:17   #2

Boat: Hunter 26
Contact cement
MABell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 21:58   #3

Boat: Buccaneer 240
I would Check Gorilla glue. I get it at ACE hardware, but any hardware store should have it. I don't have a bottle handy, but it seams to me that it worked with multiple materials. And when used correctly, it is strong.

Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 20:58   #4
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Neoprene glue

I wouldn't use any regular glue, and appologies to the person who mentioned gorilla glue, but that would be a disaster. It is a rather weak bond, isn't very flexible, requires moisture, and expands like crazy as it cures.

I've never glued neoprene to china, but I've done lots of neoprene work in the dive industry. The best thing for neoprene is the neoprene specific cement. It off-gasses something knarly so definitely outdoor use only until cured. And it sticks to everything, so be tidy (learn from my mistake: be sure to put the lid back on tight.)

My preferred method is to outline the neoprene piece with chalk (you may have to use ink on china), then coat the neoprene and whatever you're attaching it to (stay inside the lines, again trust me on this one...). Let it quick-set, then stick the two together. Press firmly, but not so hard that you squish glue out the seam. Work the piece down flat like you were hanging a piece of wallpaper. The neoprene cement will remain pliable for its life, so I normally seal the edges with a bead of Aquaseal to reduce the potential for lifting.

If you can't get neoprene cement, I would second rubber contact cement. I've never used it with neoprene, but it seems the most similar to neoprene cement.

If it isn't too late to return the neoprene you've purchased, you can get an old used wetsuit from just about any dive shop for free or almost free. Just ask for a thrashed rental suit and cut out the shapes you need.

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27   #5

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
I did this using the non-slip stuff you can get in hardware or caravan shops rather than neoprene. Cheaper and thinner. And we just used contact cement of some kind and it has lasted over 6 years with no problems.

Just remember you cannot put the item in the oven (and that's been a pain with one itme I did this to).
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:49   #6

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
I would like to suggest an alternative. Cleaning neoprene to a "food quality" level is going to be difficult. Drying it in a reasonable time about impossible. So you could end up with damp, stinky dishes that need to be washed before and after eating.

A suggestion I read in one of the dozens of "boat improvement" books and tested, is to run a bead of silicone around the underside rim of the plate. Then set the plate down on a piece of wax paper. When it dries, pull the wax paper off.

Silicone will stop it from sliding on the table, eliminate/minimize the annoying clicking of plates in the rack, and if necessary can be removed and replaced should it start to look questionable. Pick a bathroom caulk and they can be antimicrobial and mildew proof. However be careful some do this by being toxic (the next plate down has that on its surface).

I found if the plates are a plastic like material, a quarter inch of sanding on the bottom makes it adhere better.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 19:07   #7

Or, and I agree about cleaning to food levels, just using the non-skid material as placemats, and then placing the dishes on one half of the mat fold the mat and put another dish on top of that to store them? That way, one mat holds two dishes, and you don't have dishes with extra soil collectors on them.
Catalina 22 #2133 "ITLDO"
Tomahawk Bay, Portland, OR
rorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 21:37   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've used the silicone bead approach, and it worked OK for a while, but eventually started peeling off.

For non-skid placemats I get the stuff in rolls at the hardware or home-supply shop. This is sold as shelf matting, is a rubbery plastic-covered mesh, and comes in several colors. The stuff is great! It cuts with scissors, and I put it anywhere I want a temporaty nonskid mat, and also wedge it between stowed items that won't stop rattling or banging together when at sea. You can wash it, but it is so cheap that you don't mind throwing it away after it gets too dirty.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:28   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The non-skid rubber placemats work the best. I also use that same material to pack between plates which I put them away for a passage. I found large plastic round food containers that hold the plates with one small piece of the non-skid between each plate, etc.
- - Another trick for plates and other "rattle" prone stuff while underway is to buy a couple of bundles of the Walmarts Chinese washcloths - and stuff the closet/locker/storage area with the cheapo washcloths to stop rattles and breakage.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote