Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2020, 10:08   #1

Boat: Brewer 12.8
Getting oven to work

My 1986 Hillerange oven’s pilot light will light but the mechanical bar that is supposed to move* and then light the entire long burner does not do anything, nor does the pilot flame get larger*.
Does anyone have some tips on how I can correct my situation? Thanks, Will C&C41 Costume Change

*ky understanding of what is supposed to happen from some reading.
wgerstmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 20:54   #2

Boat: Pearson 34
Re: Getting oven to work

Will, I'm working on the same problem on our 1984 Pearson 34. I've done some online research, and it appears that the repair parts are no longer available from Seaward. But I'm wondering if we could obtain newer pilot, control valve and thermostat from their later models. If they would fit, I wouldn't have to replace the whole range.
Roy
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 22:16   #3

Roy
You’re ahead of me in understanding and of potential fixes. What I THOUGHT I understood was that this physical mechanism was expressly used in this marine setting such that the oven would work solely through mechanically means (as if no electric or other potentially non-functioning utility or equipment was needed). This would be the equivalent of, say, hand cranking an engine instead of having an electronic ignition (which might fail and leave you high and dry if you’re out to sea).
This has some appeal. But maybe impossible. If you find a solution that needs to bypass the mechanical apparatus, I’m interested because getting the oven to work, period, is most important. Do you have a picture, on your minds eye, of how new components might fit in the space, and how controls would work? Thanks, Will
Old 16-03-2020, 01:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Oven troubleshooting guide forSeaward/Princess/Hillerange stoves ➥ https://www.suremarineservice.com/si...ove-Repair.pdf

Owner’s Manual ➥ https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-con...ss%20Stove.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 06:39   #5

Incredibly informative—I wish all boat problems were so thoroughly and succinctly addressed. You’ve made my day, thanks.
Old 19-03-2020, 08:36   #6

Boat: Pearson 34

I tried Seaward, but looks like Mercury switches are a thing of the past. I am now trying to see if newer Dometic parts will fit my old HilleRange, for half the cost of rebuilding a mercury switch. (will need the thermostate oven control valve, pilot light assembly and thermocouple.
Roy
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven, work