Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2019, 16:10   #46

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: General survey on cookware onboard on 'smaller' cruising vessels

I added a single burner cook stove that uses either butane or propane cans. Also a French press for morning coffee. I use it at anchor to make breakfast usually eggs and bacon or sausages. It isn’t because of a crowded anchorage because on the upper Mississippi, 99% I’am the only boat. It saves running the generator unless the batteries need to be charged. I will use the generator to cook dinner because if I haven’t moved the batteries need charged and I can watch some tv.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 11:17   #47
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

"Disposable" cutting boards are cheap, sold in packages of four or so with the idea of using only the red ones for meat, green for greens, etc. for food safety. However, they are washable, reusable up to a point and they take up no space.You can through several clean ones for one meal and still have very little dishwashing while also knowing there is no raw chicken juice in your coleslaw.
Old 28-06-2019, 17:56   #48

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Don, when Jim had his Catalina 22, that Coleman Stove is what he and his at-the-time family used for cooking, too. At anchor, of course, not under way.

Ann
well.... we've all been young and foolish... but to be fair those old pressurized alcohol stoves (which was my stove) was probably just as, if not more, hazardous.... I lit my curtain on fire once... or maybe it was just me...
So I got a question, whatever happened to Sea Swing stoves? Was it lack of demand that did them in? I managed to find a good one on ebay a few months ago and now it is my go-to easy stove for while underway, or at anchor, on my little boat, but they are hard to find. Got a shot of mine here. and a shot of the Omnia oven in action, in this case baking a giant chocolate chip cookie... for breakfast...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2019-06-28 at 5.54.19 PM.png
Views:	74
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	194910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2019-06-28 at 6.00.40 PM.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	194911  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote