Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 08:23   #1

Boat: Endurance 35
Gaslow refillable bottles

We all know the issues faced by cruisers concerning LPG supplies. I see that Gaslow make a range of vehicle type tanks designed for fitting to RV's, which can be filled at the Autogas pumps.

I also see that it is contrary to regulations to fill any bottle, even a proper tank such as the Gaslow on the forecourt when it is not installed in a vehicle.

Has anybody tried this as a solution to the gas supply issues? It seems like it would be a global fix if only we could pop them in a marina trolley and trundle them to the local Autogas garage.
Leobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:03   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Gaslow refillable bottles

What country are you in?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:22   #3

Boat: Endurance 35

UK at the moment but fitting and provisioning for circumnavigation... currenly have 7kg Butane 6kg Propane, and the larger propane 13 kg I think..all Calor.
Leobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 19:42   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Do you know for a fact that Autogas fittings are universal worldwide?

I suspect even if so, you'll still need to build up a collection of adapter fittings.

The USA rosetta stone is the consumer 20# "BBQ Bottle", its valve spec'd as

F-POL + 1-5/16" M-Acme

, or more precisely

QCC1 or "CGA 791".

And any tank for consumer use must have an overfill prevention, OPD type valve fitted or they're not allowed to refill.

It is possible to pick up such tanks full for under $50 and from then on swap them out yourself at self-serve places all over, then

decant back at the boat into your usual bottles, **if** you have the skills, safety knowledge and proper adapter fittings.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 00:40   #5
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leobee View Post
UK at the moment but fitting and provisioning for circumnavigation... currenly have 7kg Butane 6kg Propane, and the larger propane 13 kg I think..all Calor.
Last time i was upnin the uk I started again with 2 10Kg homebase gaslow bottles and a adaptor kit. https://www.socal.co.uk/p/4018/cylin...re-adaptor-kit
Kit paid for itself though rarely used, often there will be someone who can fill your bottles around (especially if there a lot of motor homes around) or failing that borrow a local bottle and decant. The guy down here in the algarve reckons he can fill any bottle but said you would get in a load of trouble if you got caught filling in the forecourt yourself.
The idea of one size fits all for cruising gas just doesn't really work.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote