Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2022, 08:57   #61
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Gas v Electric Galley

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The point is Nick. Electric galleys rely on a complex series of electrical and electronics , a gas galley relies on a pipe and a bottle. If the argument Is self reliance then gas is way out in front.

Sure there are arguments on big expensive boats with big expensive power generation systems to argue for all electric galleys. But that argument only applies to a fairly small proportion of boat owners. Most will use gas because it’s cheap , easy to use and requires no electricity.
My propane regulator has failed more often (once but looking gnarly again) than my battery/inverter/solar system (never). This includes more than 5 lightning hits incl. 2 direct hits. My electric has proven more reliable than my propane.
Not to start about how many people’s lives I saved because they didn’t hear the gas escaping from a leaking gas system.

Camping Gas? Hahahahaha. First of all that is butane, not propane and second that is not worldwide available. Every anchorage in the Caribbean includes some EU sailors with those, passing adapters, tricks with ice bags etc. to fill them with propane (!!!) from local propane tanks to be able to cook dinner!

Now you do have a point about solar arrays not fitting on smaller boats but even there it is a personal decision. There are many very small boats on Youtube showing that they do it and are successful. A small boat in Scandinavia? Maybe a case for propane (not butane) because the heat put into the boat may be an advantage…. although I did this in Holland’s awful climate and the condensation caused by the (Camping Gas) stove was horrible. It dripped in your face while sleeping.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:09   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
The point is Nick. Electric galleys rely on a complex series of electrical and electronics , a gas galley relies on a pipe and a bottle. If the argument Is self reliance then gas is way out in front.

Sure there are arguments on big expensive boats with big expensive power generation systems to argue for all electric galleys. But that argument only applies to a fairly small proportion of boat owners. Most will use gas because it’s cheap , easy to use and requires no electricity.
But it does require electricity at least a legal safe installation does .
Old 05-08-2022, 10:42   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

While fine for people that use their boat for only a few weekends a year, camping Gaz bottles are not the best for full time cruising. The the small size of the bottles and the relatively high cost is not ideal for our application. The largest bottle (907) is only 2.75kg (6lb). This means frequent replacement.

For example in the UK the official price is listed as between £49.93 – £97.43 in the UK ($ 60 - $119) . A refill can be can be found for around £35 ($42) if you shop around, but this is not always possible when cruising and is still expensive, given the small size .

A better option is to size your propane/butane locker to accept larger domestic household bottles. These vary in size depending on the country but around 10-12 kg (22- 26 lb) is typical. If you size your propane/butane locker to accept multiple bottles you avoid the headache of frequently changing bottles from county to country.

Unfortunately, some European boatbuilders design the propane/ butane lockers so they will only accept the smaller camping Gaz option. This can be a major headache especially if you cruise an area where camping Gaz is not available.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:38   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
While fine for people that use their boat for only a few weekends a year, camping Gaz bottles are not the best for full time cruising. The the small size of the bottles and the relatively high cost is not ideal for our application. The largest bottle (907) is only 2.75kg (6lb). This means frequent replacement.

For example in the UK the official price is listed as between £49.93 – £97.43 in the UK ($ 60 - $119) . A refill can be can be found for around £35 ($42) if you shop around, but this is not always possible when cruising and is still expensive, given the small size .

A better option is to size your propane/butane locker to accept larger domestic household bottles. These vary in size depending on the country but around 10-12 kg (22- 26 lb) is typical. If you size your propane/butane locker to accept multiple bottles you avoid the headache of frequently changing bottles from county to country.

Unfortunately, some European boatbuilders design the propane/ butane lockers so they will only accept the smaller camping Gaz option. This can be a major headache especially if you cruise an area where camping Gaz is not available.
The little Coleman style tanks are commonly available In backpacking and camping stores and there is an adapter to refill them off a big tank but it also works the other way as well.

They also make a uni called a steak saver that adapts the regular propane tank connector to use the little 1 pound can of propane . So there are ways to do it .

https://www.amazon.com/MENSI-Adapter...48655113&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CMXXW3P...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61vP-L6vC1L._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	262244   Click image for larger version

Name:	51Lv1gziSPL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	262245  

Old 05-08-2022, 12:07   #65
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
But it does require electricity at least a legal safe installation does .
Not where I boat. A manual shutoff is all that’s required
Old 05-08-2022, 12:12   #66
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

In Greece that size bottle ( camping gaz) is common place as was available as of June this year at €10 a refill.

Having a full size gas locker is great , it as you say ,,,,

I live aboard 9 months of the year. Cooking on the stove top only common place during the hot months , I typically get 4-5 months from the 3.5kg bottle. In the autumn when I do more baking that drops to 8 weeks.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:14   #67
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Camping Gas? Hahahahaha. First of all that is butane, not propane and second that is not worldwide available. Every anchorage in the Caribbean includes some EU sailors with those, passing adapters, tricks with ice bags etc. to fill them with propane (!!!) from local propane tanks to be able to cook dinner!
Butane having much more caloric value then propane is therefore more efficient unless you cook at -20 or something
Old 05-08-2022, 18:21   #68

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
I still don’t see why you would bother changing from gas to electric cooking especially for a stove top. I use gas at home by preference. The 6 burner hob was a fraction of the price of an induction one , the gas bottle last lasts 7 months

On the boat I like the controllability of gas and the fact it’s independent of the boats electrical system.

My understanding is that quality induction setups are as controllable as gas and certainly they are more repeatedly precise. and they don’t heat up the kitchen/galley as much. Professional chefs that use the for long enough to have an informed opinion either like them for their speed, and precise control and east clean up where cleaning up is a mater of regulatory oversight or they don’t think the added cost is worth the advantages and they can make good estimates of how much heat is going to rot he foot by looking at the flame.
.That said induction has been slow to move into the professional sphere because there is less experience on the construction side for installing and maintaining the equipment and because most cooks were trained on gas and switch involves retraining.

I get that having cooking separate of the electrical system has advantages.

I almost got an induction range for my house 18mo ago but at the last minute figured out how to clean the orifices to get the burners to work properly.
Whenever the kitchen gets remodeled we’re getting induction.

https://homecookworld.com/what-do-ch...ction-cooking/

https://eurokera.com/blog/profession...ou-should-too/

https://kitchencuddle.com/do-chefs-p...tion-cooktops/
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 18:30   #69

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Those camping gas bottles scare me. They seem to turn up in all sorts of places in old boats and people don’t understand the danger they pose if they leak.
Old 05-08-2022, 18:32   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
My understanding is that quality induction setups are as controllable as gas and certainly they are more repeatedly precise. and they don’t heat up the kitchen/galley as much. Professional chefs that use the for long enough to have an informed opinion either like them for their speed, and precise control and east clean up where cleaning up is a mater of regulatory oversight or they don’t think the added cost is worth the advantages and they can make good estimates of how much heat is going to rot he foot by looking at the flame.
.That said induction has been slow to move into the professional sphere because there is less experience on the construction side for installing and maintaining the equipment and because most cooks were trained on gas and switch involves retraining.

I get that having cooking separate of the electrical system has advantages.

I almost got an induction range for my house 18mo ago but at the last minute figured out how to clean the orifices to get the burners to work properly.
Whenever the kitchen gets remodeled we’re getting induction.

https://homecookworld.com/what-do-ch...ction-cooking/

https://eurokera.com/blog/profession...ou-should-too/

https://kitchencuddle.com/do-chefs-p...tion-cooktops/
I got one of those newwave2 portable units for the boat. Plugged it in at home to test it . there are 9 adults in my home and I can't sneak it out to the boat . nobody has used the actual electric halogen stove in almost a year just the oven to bake stuff . an actual 4 burner induction cook top is in my future for home .
Old 05-08-2022, 18:35   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Those camping gas bottles scare me. They seem to turn up in all sorts of places in old boats and people don’t understand the danger they pose if they leak.
they don't scare me at all I store 6 of them in a plastic tub in my lazzerette . which is also my propane locker sealed from the rest of the boat and has a drain hole in the bottom Judy above the LWL.
Old 05-08-2022, 20:47   #72

Quote:
they don't scare me at all I store 6 of them in a plastic tub in my lazzerette . which is also my propane locker sealed from the rest of the boat and has a drain hole in the bottom Judy above the LWL.
No dispute from me that you are handling them well. But not everybody is well informed about this stuff.
Old 05-08-2022, 21:53   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
No dispute from me that you are handling them well. But not everybody is well informed about this stuff.
Side note I should be back up and casting bronze by September first
Old 05-08-2022, 22:03   #74

Quote:
Side note I should be back up and casting bronze by September first

Took me a moment…. [emoji16]
All good.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:09   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
My understanding is that quality induction setups are as controllable as gas . . .

Much MORE controllable than gas.

Gas you twiddle and eyeball the flame, then wait to see if it's actually the amount of heat you want, correct. Induction you have precise, instant, numerical control.

Also simmers vastly better -- you can control it (precisely) down to just a few watts, and never burn the bottom of anything.

It is as much better than gas, as gas is better than plain electrical resistance cooking. Or maybe it's an even bigger leap.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric