Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 08:28   #1

Boat: sceptre 41
fridge went south before the boat did

good day all
i just wanted to poll the collective wisdom about refrigeration systems. my fridge/freezer just quit. it is a 2 plate spill over type unit with a remote compressor . the vessel is 1983 and im not 100% sure but i think the refrigeration unit is original. ive been thinking that an upgrade was imminent at some point but is now without question. i have plans for a departure to the tropics this fall and am looking for an electrically efficient unit that will provide fridge/freezer in all conditions. it is a 12 volt system and i will be powering it with solar, wind, portable generator, and engine driven alternator, preferably in that order.
im pretty sure that the cabinet will have to be reinsulated to bring it up to a more efficient level.
all information will be gratefully accepted.
thanks for your input
Shala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: fridge went south before the boat did

You don't need to re-insulate, I didn't, but should and will get around to it, eventually.
You seem to know pretty much what your talking about, sounds like you just need to pick a manufacturer and decide if you want to keep your cold plates or not and whether you want to go air cooled, water cooled, keel cooled or not. My preference was air cooled for simplicity and reliability.

If your 1983 system worked well, why not replace it with the same? Should be an easy install and that is a good track record
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shala View Post
good day all
i just wanted to poll the collective wisdom about refrigeration systems. my fridge/freezer just quit. it is a 2 plate spill over type unit with a remote compressor . the vessel is 1983 and im not 100% sure but i think the refrigeration unit is original. ive been thinking that an upgrade was imminent at some point but is now without question. i have plans for a departure to the tropics this fall and am looking for an electrically efficient unit that will provide fridge/freezer in all conditions. it is a 12 volt system and i will be powering it with solar, wind, portable generator, and engine driven alternator, preferably in that order.
im pretty sure that the cabinet will have to be reinsulated to bring it up to a more efficient level.
all information will be gratefully accepted.
thanks for your input

Hi there ,

Sceptre 41 , very nice boat .

I can help you with your box build and a machine that is very efficient , and Canadian made , check out our site .

When you re-insulate you don't have to rip out your cabinetry, you can do it through the opening , but you will have to lay up a new liner. Compared to rebuilding and trying to match the original cabinetry, its a lesser evil . We will be posting a video blog this weekend on our site doing just that . We will also be in Annapolis for this springs boat show . Its a long way for you, being on the west coast, but worth the trip, Annapolis is beautiful in the spring .

Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show | Annapolis Boat Shows

Regards John.
Please don't hesitate in contacting me directly , all my information is on my website.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 08:53   #4

Boat: sceptre 41

thanks a64pilot
the original unit worked well but was power hungry on the hot days. i suspect that could be greatly improved with better insulation as i could often see condensation on the outer hull in the "fridge" area. i guess what im looking for is real world experience with the various different types of units. the main concern for me is the power efficiency first and freezing ability a close second.
thanks again for your input
Shala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 09:00   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My 2c is within closer limits than you may think, they are all about equally efficient, there is no magic bullet. Yes a properly matched system will use less energy, but the "Magic" is in the insulation.
If you want to cut your energy consumption in half for example, your not going to get there by a more efficient machine, your getting there by better insulation.
If we could get near thermos insulation values, our energy consumption would be astonishingly small I think.
Old 28-02-2017, 09:02   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I added 3/4" insulation to the inside of the boxes. I left the factory 4" in place.
Then installed a Cool Blue system with the optional 2.5" holding plate and added a couple of fans for the compressor compartment and insulated the cold tubing.
Got a super efficient system out of it. Run time averaged 10 hrs/day (installed a digital hour meter) or 50 amp/hrs a day.
Two 75 watt panels would keep up with it and the lights, music, etc while at anchor.
When I sold the boat the hour meter had over 11,000 hrs on it.
Old 28-02-2017, 09:08   #7

Boat: Sceptre 36

Hi. I did the same on my Sceptre 36 and C&C 41. Your original Nova Kool is very simple to replace with the same and are very reliable. Your current system cannot be fixed as the R12 is no longer legal. Harbour Chandler can have one by morning.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 09:08   #8

Seafrost has a very good reputation for quality and lonevity. Maine Sail highly recommends them.

There are two skippers on this forum who represent fridge vendors: Rick Boren and tellie. Search around.

Richard Kollmann's website has a lot of fridge info. Kollmann Marine

a64 is right about insulation being the #1, you can't change the laws of physics when it comes to the equipment.

Even in hot climates, simple air cooled has shown to be easier to deal with, since there are no additional moving parts compared to other system condensing methods.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 09:18   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

There are two skippers on this forum who represent fridge vendors: Rick Boren and tellie. Search around.
Tellie I think is Spectre watermakers, your thinking John, Coldeh maybe?
Old 28-02-2017, 09:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Tellie I think is Spectre watermakers, your thinking John, Coldeh maybe?
Righto, thanks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 14:08   #11

Here is some more frig's to look at Big Truck Refrigerators 12 volt

TruckFridge.com - Quality true 12 volt DC compressor refrigeration with freezer - Georgetown, KY Exit 129 next to Piolt Truck Center - many models to choose from.
Ivansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:31   #12

I am going through this right now and after shopping around ordered a Isotherm 2501 system. It's replacing a 15 year old alder cold machine that still works but is tired and ugly. It was $950 shipped from Defender. I will be installing it next week.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat