Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2012, 06:13   #1

Boat: 1984 Johnson Boatworks Inland Scow, 20' and a 1975 sailMFG Bandit 19 Pocket Cruiser
Fresh Fish?

Just wondered, how good are the odds of catching the occasional fresh fish with a line trawled out behind you on an ocean crossing? I know, don't depend on it, but it might make for a nice break in the monotony of preserved foods, etc.
Old 23-07-2012, 06:20   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Fresh Fish?

Many cruisers fish for food and fun. Problem is finding room in the freezer when you get a big one. We like to make a fish chowder from the carcass but on occasion have had to give the carcass to the sharks because we had no room in the fridge/freezer for it.

Old 23-07-2012, 06:22   #3

Boat: Sailboat

Nothing for days.... then two or three at a time.

LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 06:31   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

as above some days are really good and some days are really bad - we have been shut out when others sailing with us prevailed and we caught when others did not -

i would not count on it but as above when you get a big one it is fish for breakfast lunch and dinner or until you can get enough room in the tiny freezer for it - but we don't stop as who knowns when the next one will show up

just our opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 07:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Red face Re: Fresh Fish?

Have someone show you how to rig a drone spoon on a handline. It is important that the terminal connection to the spoon be correct to give it a natural action and preferably include a small length of wire for fish such as mackerel and wahoo with sharp teeth. Use a poly rope attached to a long length of 150# mono attached to the lighter terminal gear. For shingle dolphin like those pictured above on calmer days you can drag a small pre-rigged skirted lure on a much lighter leader, they seem to like blue/white the best. Also, if you are inshore, bottom fishing can be much more productive than trolling. If you want to get fancy, we find that more strikes occur offshore on a single downrigger rod than the other four to six surface lures in the spread combined. It isn't a bad idea to have a small gaff on board if you have room because a lot of fish are lost at the gunwhale, you can keep it up on the coach roof but be careful to keep the point protected, it can cause a bad injury. It is great fun to get a saltwater flyrod and learn how to use it on days with little wind. Finally, if you are in tuna territory and making 5 knots or so, nothing beats a green machine lure which can also be purchased pre-rigged and need not be rigged with a ballyhoo. I took a guy fishing from Capetown, he said they dry their fish out in the sun to preserve them (not exactly fresh but maybe better than canned.)

A few other pointers, it gets old watching to see if your lines are productive if you are fishing 24/7... most of the time you will end up pulling a lure with a little chunk of moss on the end which defeats the purpose (we call it fishing on credit) so look for productive areas and times, ie surface water temperature changes, flocks of birds circling and diving if you are near shore, flying fish coming out of the water, rip lines etc. If you are in water less than a 100 feet and notice a sea turtle pop up, you are probably over live bottom: drop an anchor and try bottom fishing. Along shore, a small Clark spoon (size zero, silver... larger is not better) on a 20 foot very light leader (20 pound test or lighter) will attract a lot of fish.

One of the best things about sailing is the money you save by not burning fuel can buy a lot of fish. I spent more money on fuel during my last marlin tournament than my entire boat cost.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 07:47   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i catch enough to eat for dinner usually daily---i use a mexican set up-- long 100 or 200 pound test with lure--strung to shroud and with a slipknot with loop to see when i catch fishie--it pulls knot, sets hook and i hand overhand pull fishie into boqt--very very simple and easy.
i didnt catch nearly as many when i used a rod n reel--we broke 3 rods this way--so i use the mexisetup....is easy to pull into boat with gloves on hands

when loop is gone, youhave a fish. easy and simple.
you do not need bait unless you are bottom fishing for catfish.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish