Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2009, 18:10   #1

Boat: Sceptre 36
Force 10 Stove?

We are contemplating replacing our stove with a new Force 10, 3 burner propane. Current one works OK but cannot get oven hot enough to bake (over 325 F). Any comments?
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 18:24   #2

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
We love the Force 10 three burner on our Ingrid. It seems to get plenty hot, but never really checked the max temp on it. It seems to bake just fine.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 18:51   #3

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Our Force 10 (4-burner) is about 9 years old and the oven has always been a little squirrelly. The latest problem is that it will just shuts off in the middle of baking something (all of the obvious things have been checked and I even went so far as to replace the orifice). I ordered a new thermocouple from Force 10 (although they insist that isn't the problem) but haven't installed it yet as it requires a complete disassembly of the stove. I think they pretty much have the corner on the market for marine stoves but if I had to do it all over again, I think I'd go with a Broadwater.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 03:10   #4

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
Our Force 10, 3 burner Euro model (the smallest they make) has been a joy. The oven is small but bakes pretty well. I did have a piece of granite cut to fit and use it as a heat deflector to provide more even baking. After nearly 10 years, no regrets!
Old 19-11-2009, 06:51   #5

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Have you considered an RV stove? They come equipped with thermocouples as well (RV'ers don't like blowing up any more than we do) and most models include a high output burner. I used these stoves for several years and found them to be excellent at half the price of a Force 10. Don't gimble though.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 13:39   #6

Hi Rex

As you can guess I have used a lot of different stoves on boats. I favourite is the Force 10. The oven door slides under the stove providing a counter balance; the top is easy to clean. The three burner model should do you well.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 15:07   #7

Boat: Sceptre 36
Just ordered the Force 10, 3 burner. Anyone want a really good deal on a Hillerange 3 burner?
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 15:58   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
Many ovens have same problem. We pre-heat ours. If you look up the specs sheet you will now how much heat the burner is supposed to give. Then compare with competition. But truly the ultimate test is to try out same unit on another boat at the location similar to yours (ambient temps). Two ovens with same oven burner power will work diffently depending on oven's volume and how well the unit is insulated/ventilated.

This much said we had nil problem baking anything S of 40N and N from 35S.

PS There is an Equipment Review on this one at SSCA, if you are a member.

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2009, 21:10   #9

Boat: Stevens 47
I'm begrudgingly happy with our Force 10. The range is fine, but the oven is slow to heat up and does not get hot enough.

It reaches 300 F quickly enough (<15 min), but to get above 350 takes considerably longer...and if I ever see over 400, it's RAWther unusual. We're at 20 deg. N in Mexico, it's not like the cold winter temperatures are creating any challenges! Some of the favorites in our cooking repetoire have simply dropped off the menu or been modified. I don't like having to do that because of the limitations of my appliance.

For what it's worth, this was a brand new unit we installed less than two year ago. It replaced an older Force 10, which as a prior poster pointed out, can be a royal pain to fix when you need, say, a thermocouple replacement. The newer models don't require being pulled apart for basic servicing.

As long as I'm on a minor rant... do you think they could add any insulation on this stove, for the gold-plated price? I didn't mind heating the cabin when I baked in the higher latitudes, but now... well, I'd sure like to avoid it. Suddenly, our solar oven is getting a LOT of use.

Behan

Old 21-12-2009, 05:15   #10

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Happily, we have not ever had to replace a thermocouple in ours.
Nomadic Mama - does that mean that we won't get Friday Night pizza? The kids were looking forward to that!

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 07:38   #11

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
My only complaint with the Force 10 is, the oven handle latch pops up too easily when bumped from underneath,and door flies open spilling contents onto floor.It is a little slow getting up to high temps.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote